A Dangerous Temptation




In the space that is our laundry/mud room, I carved out a tiny plot of 'land' for myself.
I've always wanted a little space to call my own, and with this house, I have found it.It was here that I gave in to temptation several nights ago.


I knew I should not do it.


It was a website that has produced tragic results that rocked my reality.


Even though the results were unconfirmed. Imaginary. Guess work.


The website? WebMD.com


I have a rather large lesion on the fouth "digit" of my left hand-my ring finger. They refer to it as 'digit' at all of the doctor visits I've been to. I do not care for the term and wonder why they have to show off by using it. Why do they not just say 'finger'?? Is there some other unknown-to-the-common-person body part that rhymes too closely that could cause potential misdiagnosis? ("Oh! Here I thought you came here today to have me look at the lesion on your Wing-ger!")


In any case, it's unsightly. No, it's gross. It is huge. And as my friend Emily exclaimed, "It looks like your bodily organs are trying to escape from your finger (ie: digit)!"
The family doctor referred me to a Plastic Surgeon, but not before casually throwing out there, that once it was removed they would probably send it off to perform a biopsy on it...you know, just in case it was 'dangerous'.


Dangerous???


I let out a fake chuckle, then pretended to listen as he seemingly spoke the standard 'blah,blah,bhah'...but my brain cells had jolted to a stand still back at the "D" word, and they were not able to get past it. Even after I had revisited the loose statement with the doctor, and he seemed to think that it was NOT dangerous. But it was too late.


For over a week, I was able to resist. But on Monday, I weakened, welcoming worry to get it's ugly, expansive foot through the door of my mind. I typed 'finger lesion' in the search engine on WebMD in the darkness of my little corner of the house.


Immediately, perilous pages on skin cancer popped on to the screen.


And then right behind them came the images of the six children and my husband, dressed in their Sunday best, standing forlourn at the front of the American Music Theater (naturally. A mere funeral home or church building could not contain the masses, I'm sure). What songs should I pick out? Should I call my sister and ask her to start preparing a few thoughts? Should I call the funeral director right now and if and what kind of bronzing creme they have in stock??

I called my husband immediately at work, of course, and imparted the tragic news. "It looks like I have skin cancer".

I heard the familiar slight chuckle and roll of the eyes (yes, I can hear that). He said "Ok, then."
What a tremendous support system I have.
(I'll admit. It is good he does not play into my dramatic, reality altering, self-diagnosis)


Yesterday, I had a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon (our local surgical practice does not 'do' fingers). She took a good look and said it does NOT appear to be anything dangerous, almost certain it is not a rare-or any-form of skin cancer.


I came home with a new lease on life! I hugged my husband and children with renewed gratitude, realizing that once again, I had created a false reality in which I had allowed my emotions and attitudes to operate under. What a fool! Again! When will I learn??? (My cheeky husband told the children to 'forget everything I told you about Olga"--the Russian Mail-Order Nanny he had "ordered" through Ebay due to the impending "loss". Throughout the rest of the day he kept saying "Thank God for PayPal...I'll get the money back!")


If it had been skin cancer, I would have undoubtably been given what I need to walk through that journey. In any case, the internet and all it's medical information can be a gift from God or a tool of the devil. It's all in how I use it!


So here is to a day of resisting tempation, living in the reality of what we know to be true and being grateful that God walks beside us all the way! (and knows all the digits on our being!)


Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds.
-Matthew 6

Comments

Jeane', I'm signing you up for the writing class I'm taking!! You are so hilarious and I never, ever tire of your humor! AMT, that is GREAT! you.crack.me.up.
I'm glad to know all is well, you had me there for a bit....wondering what was going on! And you are so right, our God is a God Who meets us, wherever we are.
There is so much I could share that would be perfect right now. But no...I just smile and thank God for you...lesion on your digit and all! Funny how a few short moments and words can change our perspectives. You shared it well!
Anonymous said…
I an glad that you are well. It is a scary thing...oh, how our minds can get carried away. Thanks for sharing your humor.

God bless,
Joyce Marie
Michelle said…
Loved the AMT part - You definitely would need a space that big ;) And you aren't the only one who has thought about the bronzing cream! So glad you're all right. :)
Tracy said…
Glad to read it sounds like all is well. I've given into this temptation too and of course later regretted it. Our minds can definitely run down rabbit trails, can't they?

I love your nook! It's quite a charming spot. = )
Linda said…
Oh, my goodness, Jeane', I can't tell you how many times I have "walked through the valley of the shadow of death" during which Kevin usually rolls his eyes. He would so relate to Curt. But, I am very glad things will be okay.
Marilou said…
Oh, Jeane...i actually laughed OUT LOUD at your post today. That part about the mail-order russian nanny was just hysterical and I can just see him saying that. What a wienie! :) I, personally, have the Sight and Sonund Theater rented for my memorial service, along with their full choir and "Jesus" from the Easter show flying overhead and then picking up my casket and taking me "up into the heavenlies." Yeah, it should be pretty awesome. I say why go normal when you can go grand? :) I am so happy that your digit will soon be lesion-free and you will be able to finally get around to working again! :) Love you and thank you for the laugh!
Auntie Lou
Wanda said…
I love you! That's all I can say! I adore you, you funny lady!

Popular Posts