The Elusive Trophy

I did everything I thought I needed to do in preparation to win "Coolest Step Mom of the Year" trophy. Well, ok...maybe not every little last thing, but I did not have all the ingredients for Puppy Chow, and I did not have the time to go fetch them. Nor was I able to pin down Chuck Norris for a personal appearance at the sleepover. But the rest of the list checked off fairly well.



Mega box of Bagel Bites? Check.

Biggest bag of Dorito's known to man? Check.

Enough soda's to quench an unhealthy army? Check.

Friends coming over for dinner with their cute teenage daughter in tow? Check.

Enough Make-Your-Own-Pizza toppings to satisfy even the deepest stomach? Check.

Turning my head to the sounds of laughter booming and bodies being slammed into the floor above me during the wee hours of the morning? Check.


And to top it off, I wore the coolest outfit in my closet. The only cool outfit in my closet. Just in case the "Stepmother of the Year" award was still on the line, and needed a little something to tip it over the edge. No fuddy duddy parental looking figure here! Nope, it was a long tunic, leggings and my fur-cuffed Bass boots. How cool is that?? (If you are a teenager reading this, please, for the sake of my fragile ego, please do not leave an answer to this question).
Surely, it was in the bag.



Until I opened my mouth.

It always happens that way. Just as I reach out my hand to accept the invisible award, I open my mouth and it all dissipates with the classic 'look' of bewilderment from the 15 year old...a look that says, "Where the heck did that come from???"

And I must answer honestly: I don't know!!! I don't know why i want you and your friends to think I am so cool. Do I have unresolved issues from High School??? Is my Sanguine temperament this desperate for adulation, that I must stoop to this level to get some??


I. am. pathetic.

In any case, through the course of the evening, I made them 'play' a game of conversational questions around the dinner table (every teenage males dream). What could have made it worse, was if they would have discovered that I had dipped into my "Girls Night Out" table topics game box to find the questions. In addition I said random things that elicited 'the look' that anyone who spends any time with a teenager would know. It quickly stripped away any false sense of 'coolness' I had allowed myself to think I had.
Have you been there??
(mom, you don't need to answer that, thank you very much)

***Sigh***

Even though my trophy shelf lies bare after yet another sleepover, I am still grateful for my stepson, and the friends he has chosen and who have chosen him. We have been watching these boys morph into young men. Fine young men at that.

Breakfast is on, boys!!! Come and get it!
(at our new home, the previous owners left this glorious old dinner bell located on the side of the house. I cannot wait for summer sleepovers, when the boys are slumbering in the barn and I can ring it loud and clear! I am quite sure they'll find it as charming and 'down home' as I will. At 7am.)

My favorite part?


Watching my little guy savoring every single last second of being in the presence of all the big guys...and the kindness they show by making him one of them. As when he is handed a Wii controller (that's turned off unbeknownst to him) and given the thrill of his life. I'm playin' in the big leagues, now. I know that is what he is thinking.

Oh the joy of a full house!
Some day I will miss this and so I take it all in while I can.


Comments

Amy said…
Jeane' - Your house looks so fun! I loved reading your blog. I'm looking forward to visiting next week. I'll be in touch.
Love,
Amy
Marilou said…
Well......if its advice you need on dealing with 15 yr old part-child, part-man, part-demon boys, I AM THE ONE TO TALK TO!! Yes, I have wayyyy too many awards NOT to share my vast amounts of wisdom with the masses. My little guy has time and time again, thanked me for being "way cool". He LOVES when i joke with his friends and i share my wit with them. He makes sure to thank me multiple times for my hospitality to them and loves when i tell his friends "stories" of his youth. Yep,its a real gift I've got, and one grateful son to apprectiate it. :-/ . I have noticed of late though, that Austin seems to be having eye movement problems. They seem to be constantly rolled back in his head. Funny. I DO find it ironic that in the animal kingdom, some mothers eat there young...they may have something there! :) God love ya!
Aunt Lou
Jan Kennedy said…
Jeane', If you ring that dinner bell for the boys, you'll never get your trophy. So you'll have to consider what's more fun, ringing the bell or receiving the coveted and elusive trophy. Hmm, difficult choice.
As I read this post I just had to smile. I thought back over all the years that I tried so hard to win "the trophy". Never happened. Keep trying dear daughter, but in the back of your mind remember that "what goes around comes around". It will happen for you too. I must admit though, that I saw pictures of you from that evening and you did have the "right look"! Your stepson is so fortunate to have you in his life.
Debbie said…
As usual you are funny and your blog is charming. He's lucky to have a step-mother like you. At that age I think they suspect all adults! I hope you don't mind me mentioning you on my post today and plugging your blog. Go over and have a look!
Debbie
Sylvia said…
I think you subconsciously sabotaged getting your trophy. From what I've heard, it's more fun completely embarrassing the kids once in a while... and then pretending you don't understand what you did wrong later.
ajwatson722 said…
Love the pic of Toph with all those big guys. He looks like he is trying so hard to be cool! So cute!

You make me laugh. I would have to agree that you do have a strong desire to be cool (don't we all though?). But the good news is, I think you are cooler than you think!:)

Love you!
you deserve that award whether they recognize it or not!! and i can just see you in your AWESOME outfit! you are AMAZING JEANE' AND I MEAN IT, SERIOUSLY!!!
i will be coming to you for advice when we hit that stage here in our home...you're already way ahead of the game!
SEE YOU TONIGHT!!!
Missy said…
I love this one!
the whole idea of a trophy : )
we all dream of getting it one day...
LOL!
I'll have to remember the food list and to do my best to zip my mouth shut.
It reminds me of when I was a kid and I would always wonder why my mom felt the need to talk while she was video taping and ask everyone a million questions....unfortunatly I have found myself doing the same thing!
enjoy your family!

Popular Posts