Savoring Early Spring


"The year's at the spring,
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in his Heaven—
All's right with the world!"
- Robert Browning, The Year's at the Spring




In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.
-Margaret Atwood




“When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege
it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.”
- Marcus Aurelius



On this delightful early spring morning, we gathered a few of our chickie sisters and took them on a wagon ride for a little fresh-air field trip to our back yard.



We created a small boundary for them.


We bestowed names upon a few of them {this one being "Pawpaw"}.


There was one among us to softly spoke words of comfort to the nervous little gals, assuring them that she, indeed, is their 'mama'....


...And being the mama, there was an abundance of motherly pride displayed upon her face.





Add Image
Then there was my little "Nix Nux" (a phrase derived the Pennsylvania Dutch dialect, meaning 'mischevious'), who could not stop giggling when 'holding' Daisy, a chickie named and under current ownership of our 6 year old friend,
Katie.



When I took this picture of my little guy below, it turned my thoughts for the hundreth time towards Tyler, his dear little friend who is in the hospital, battling a Staph infection. We cannot take the health of our beings, or the ability to climb a tree, for granted in the least littlest bit.
We are praying for you, Tyler!!!

Can't wait til you're better and can come climb this tree with us!



Here is Julie, our Turken, named in honor of the woman who accurately identified her 'breed' on this very blog! I know she (the Turken) is deeply honored for being the namesake of such a lovely woman!


Back to the barn they go!



I hope this visit gave you a little taste of spring, lest you are indoors or in a place where Spring has yet to reintroduce itself.



"Science has never drummed up quite as effective a tranquilizing agent

as a sunny spring day."
- W. Earl Hall


Comments

This is the best St. Patrick's day gift you could have given to me. What a beautiful and endearing post...chicks and the precious little ones watching over them. The Turkin made me smile.
Anonymous said…
Jeane'- This brought back memories of my little pet chick Herbalina (at first, it was "Herb", until I realized otherwise). We found an orphan chick out at the barn (I grew up on a small farm) and so I adopted her. Everyday after school I gave her food, changed her water, and changed the newspaper in the bottom of the cardboard box. After she got a little bigger, I would "take her out for walks." And, I kid you not, she followed on my very footsteps - it was almost dangerous. She was so cute. I would bring her box into our dining room and play piano to her. It calmed her. This whole story is no joke. One can become very attached to those little things. So, it was indeed sad, when we let her loose into the wild jungle of the barnyard and she was found dead shortly after. RIP, Herbalina. So it seems quite normal to me, that you took your chicks out for some fresh air in the yard. :)

Erin

Popular Posts