It is enough

(Quote on my chalkboard. Shared by the wonderful author of this blog's mother)

Oh my, Oh me.

It could be tempting to paint a portrait of orderly day: mothering with finesse, charming children issuing amusing commentary on life, dinner previously prepared, coupons and 50 fingernails cut, crumbs gathered, table set, little head buried in their books, dusty DVD's and a worn out Family Bible...


But that is for another author of another blog to wax eloquently about,
for those are faraway dreams for the female behind this font.


As I type, I am desperately trying to ignore the NON quiet time that was supposed to be sans the "NON"!!!! No one is cooperating, except for my two year old who fell asleep on the couch to Jay Jay the Jet Plane, which makes it even more imperative to keep my normally good napper who arose way (and I mean WAY) too early from her slumber, up in her pack and play located in a large, dark closet that I finally gave light and books to. She is still up there. The three year old brother is constantly faced with the temptation to snatch any and all nunnys from his younger siblings, even at the risk of non-too pleasant (but loving) punishment.


I'm telling you right out:


I. DO. NOT. HAVE. IT. TOGETHER. TODAY.



Most days end with me thinking "Wow. I need to do better tomorrow. Come up with a new game plan. And I should have read them more books {ok, honesty check} I should have read them books".


But there are two little words that must be inserted here-and wherever the word "should" appears in our vocabulary.


GRACE & MERCY


That is what I am given every second of every day. This task in front of me is not by accident, it is a part of my life's mission...a huge element of the grand adventure i am on with Jesus. He's not a "rule monger" up and out of my reality, watching from on high, waiting for me to mess up, wanting me to pathetically beg for His forgiveness that He's already extended a long, long time ago. He is not into 'sin management'. He doesn't have a daily log for me, poised with his pen to check off if and when i had my daily 'quiet time'. Nor does He demand my allegience, but he desires a relationship that would naturally produce it.

GOD is LOVE.

All that is wrong in my heart could be set right if I lived in that love.

All the parenting tips i need are found in growing in and learning of that perfect Love.

HE will show me what i need for each day. He's that personal.

He does not hoard. He is downright delighted when we ask for the GRACE and MERCY that we need to keep going...to fulfill the 'mission' that is uniquely ours....


And today, my mission is to love and care for these many little, little people who can not do much for themselves at all, such as:
...Pick a hangnail (which I did for my daughter. With my teeth. And swallowed it. Gross, I know)

...Or pick a booger (as I also did for my other daughter. With my finger. And promptly put it in the inside of my pant leg for lack of a tissue in an arm's length radius)

...Breastfeed a dying chick in attempts to save it's little life. (ok, maybe not. but my husband had told me he considered giving CPR to one who eventually died in his hand, and as compassionate as he is, I just had to laugh!!!)


ALL THAT TO SAY:


Today I give myself a break, for I do not live under judgement for my parenting, but rather the purest LOVE possible. A perfect Love that guides imperfect me to learn how to better love the little lives that are crawling, squirming, walking, sprinting and climbing all over and around me.
And that is enough.
Gotta run...
It is WAY TOO QUIET.

Comments

Your honesty is refreshing. As I read this post I immediately thought back to my Saturday with your five little ones. When I remembered that day, I know whereof you speak today. It is busier than many can imagine. Thank God for His mercy, love and patience that He provides moment by moment. Looking forward to giving you a much needed break tomorrow. Love you! Mom
Shar said…
Thank you for your words! They are ALWAYS real and exactly what I need to hear!
Michelle said…
I agree with "Judy" - your honesty is very refreshing ~ Just one of the reasons why I love visiting the Coffee Cottage!
Jessica Smoke said…
Lol, I can so relate to this post! Even the booger on the pant leg! My kids are 4 1/2, 2 3/4, and almost 11 months. The days are crazy although I am quite sure not as crazy as yours! Thank you for your humorous honesty!
Tracy said…
Several years ago, I got the tiniest glimpse of your daily life. My sister and her husband (parents to 5 kids, also including a set of twins) went away for the weekend. I was their weekend caretaker from Friday afternoon until Sunday evening. On Saturday night, I realized, not only had I not changed out of the clothes I wore the day before, I hadn't brushed my teeth or even splashed water on my face. I barely had a spare moment (with baby in tow) to take a quick potty break or two. I remember thinking HOW in this world does my sister do this every day?!? Often when I stop by to read your posts, that weekend flashes in my mind. I'm convinced God calls very special people to assignments such as yours...hangnails, boogers and all. = ) I'm confident you have an appreciation for His grace and mercy that most of us cannot begin to grasp. Blessings to you!
Marilou said…
YOU, my dear, are the perfect woman for the job! You may not feel it, believe it or want it, but it is true!! I love you and am so glad you are my niece! God love ya! :)
Missy said…
Wow. I needed to hear that today.
Thanks.

Popular Posts