Order Makes a Visit


Pardon me for bragging, but I'm tired of praising myself all by myself.


My pantry door has been swung open about 20 times this morning, I do believe, by yours truly, a woman who is THEE biggest "orderly house" hypocrite you would ever care to meet. When I purge, I cannot stand to stay away. I must open. And reopen. And look at it from different angles, each time subconsciously pretending to be surprised.

THEE biggest 'orderly house hypocrite? Yup.
That's me.


For the most part, but certainly NOT every moment of every day, it is important to me that my abode at least appear somewhat orderly. I highlight 'appear', because, as we all know, not everything IS as it APPEARS. Go ahead, look through my home...but should you make the unfortunate decision to open a closet door, heaven help your skull, for goodness-knows-what might strike it from being jammed into the upper shelves. { hmmm...where did this standard florist glass vase come from? I really want it, but I'm not going to Goodwill anytime soon...so.....hmmm, I'll stick it up here. Door closed. Vase forgotten. Until it hits husband searching for old flashlights on the head}.


But I regress. Back to the pantry and all of it's 'orderly from the inside out-ness'. Last night my husband barely got inside the back door when his beaming wife quickly ushered him to the pantry door. With pride and expectation, I swung open the door {for he of all people, knew of it's former disgraceful state}. Then he said this:


"Wow! Now THIS is a pantry of an efficient, organized and amazing woman!"


I would have given him what he really wanted right there and then {even though he does appreciate a pantry in order}, but the children were clamouring for dinner.

Speaking of my darling husband....see these pitiful little plants below??

They were once flourishing, happy bushels of mint and basil, but to their great demise, they were purchased for me to tend to and use. He even told me when he brought them home, that he felt bad sentencing them to their death like that {by purchasing them for me, the renown 'plant killer'}. I tried! I really, really tried!

But they died. And i mean D.I.E.D.

But Carl Compassion just cannot believe that with a little of HIS brand of TLC, they can't be revived...and insisted on sitting these potted carcasses on my kitchen counter. I knew that if I threw them away immediately, he would notice and subsequently go out and look through the trash for them. Yes, he does that. He randomly takes a gander when he opens the trash can drawer to see if I've thrown away any 'perfectly good thing' that we 'just might need someday'.


This time I wisened up. I stuck them on the bottom shelf of the pantry, as to give it a few weeks, see if he mentioned anything and if he did... i would whip them out, showing him that they were still here after all.


Today they are leaving. I am going to keep the circle unbroken and spill their soil onto our own.
Besides, they did not fit into any 'category' in the new and improved pantry. (and I REFUSE to have a 'plant hospice' on any of those shelves).


And so I close this visit with a sincere thank you...for sharing in my joy of a pantry whose door is now free to be opened. If you stop by within the next two weeks, I'll be happy to show it to you. Two weeks? That 's the maximum time "Order" stays in my closets. She leaves for a few weeks to several months, but then she's back for another two week stint.


I always pray that the closet inspectors visit soon after she does.
So long!!

Comments

I am so sorry that you inherited this malady from me. I laughed the whole way through this post. Two weeks...two long weeks, seems like that is a good amount of time for the organization to remain. Although, I have no excuse...you certainly do.
Love you!
Mom
Debbie said…
I am a 'get ridder' of stuff;my hubby is a packrat. He's always saying, "we might need that". I say if we do, go buy one.
When we got a new computer because our old one was outdated and slow, he insisted on keeping the old one also. It's crammed back in his closet. We didn't replace it, because it's still here! We have 2 now. In order to get rid of stuff, I have to wait till the trash man is coming and RUN with it to the large cans. If I set something out that he wants, he'll grab it up and run to the basement with it. I refuse to go down there anymore; it just makes me mad. When we have a tornado warning, I take my chances up here. I could get lost down there and never be found again. Opposites attract, then they wind up driving each other batty!HAHA!
Debbie
The pantry looks great....how I bloive organization
Julie said…
you. are. hilarious. i related on giving yourself the praise. (i'll do almost anything for praise, admiration, and.....staring at my accomplishments over and over again! LOVE IT!
nice touch with that cutsie little apron. ;-) <3 it!
Kim said…
I do the same thing after I clean out my kitchen cupboards (don't have a pantry). I force the next 5 people that come to the house to look at how neat and tidy they are. Of course, no one can truly appreciate it like the person that did it.....oh well. It is the simple thrills in life, right?
Sharon said…
Oh surely it is part of the human condition...at least the FEMALE of the species...to peek again and again at our accomplishments and laud our creativity just in case no one else thinks they are as wonderful as they really are! I, for one, think you ARE wonderful...even if in two weeks some little creature sneaks into your pantry and destroys all your hard work! I am SO jealous of yor pantry! Who of us actually has one that they can WALK into anyway???? Oh well...I would rather have my big walkin closet anyway! Think I will go now and do some creative cleaning!
Sharon
KathyB. said…
This is soooooo true of myself and my husband! He tries to keep on top of what I am throwing away . Can't have enough of those free give-away coffee mugs can you? Greta post!

Love your pantry.
betsyesbenshade said…
I say leave the pantry door open and walk by for encouragement throughout the day! I am inspired to clean out something, not sure what yet! I can relate to the garbage lady all to well! I am so relieved to know there are others facing the same things in life and that maybe I am a little normal!

Popular Posts