1st Annual Dutch Blitz Bonanza

As I explained in my last post, I have a love of planning and throwing parties. It's a part of my Sanguine nature I suppose. This 'love' has long laid dormant, as there are other priorities that hold much higher (and necessary) importance in my world. There was a night, though, at the beginning of this long, cold winter, that I decided there needed to be something planned to look forward to. That is when the Dutch Blitz Bonanza was 'invented'. For those of you not familiar (which, outside this area in which I live, that would probably be most of you), Dutch Blitz is a crazy, fast-paced, numerical card game. The cards look like those found on the table assignment cards below. I won't bore you on the particulars of the game, suffice it to say that either you love the madness and mayhem, or you do not. On Friday night, there were plenty of FUN and FABULOUS women here who love it and where in it to win it.

Like all things in my life, this could have NOT been pulled off without the help of my husband, my mom & sister, who watched the 3 oldest 'little ones' on Friday so I could set up and members of my extended family who shared their immense photography skills and ability to lay out the 'gaming system' so that all was 'fair in love and war'!



If you would like, here is a peek into the evening's festivities.





The Victor's crown

1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes, kindly created by a creative person I know.

The "Viddles" (a German expression for "food")

Around 7pm, the beautiful ladies began to arrive. They were to come with a 'game name' to go by during the evening. I only wish Sally's jacket was removed, so you could see her most amazing bead-encrusted creation. Meet the "Blitzy Glitzy Spider".
"Dutchy Gaga" designed and created her own eye wear AND the biggest gourmet food hit of the night. Click HERE for the recipe. It was simply divine!
My sweet Aunt Deb, who was the official photographer of the evening. Obviously, I was the one behind the camera, as the flash was not handled correctly. But still, isn't she quite pretty?!?


My husband, trying to duck through the gaggles of giggling women and making a straight shot for the upper level where he spent the evening with the twins.



Yet another glamorous player, "Diva Dutch".


In reading the most amazing write up on the importance of preparation for this event (by a woman who we couldn't wait to see, but who was 'taken out' by a migraine the day of. So sad!!), this lady took to trying to create distraction by painting her nails bright colors! (Read the essay HERE)


This vivacious and oh-so-talented woman MADE these charm necklaces with tiny replica's of the Dutch Blitz cards!!

Me in my bossy, "it's my party and we'll chicken dance if i want us too" mode.

To warm up, stretch out and break ice, we did the chicken dance.



Let the games begin!!!


See the woman to the left of me?? That is my Aunt, otherwise known that evening as "Queen B". Many attended that night in great hopes of whipping her 'ars' (another great PA Dutch expression). As we all found out, she must have a third eye tucked somewhere on the side of her head. She is a force to be reckoned with!!!


The 'baggage' of many women, dumped in my hallway, freeing them to have a great time. This was just what I hoped for...an evening away from the pressures and problems of life!


Two remarkable women (who happen to be niece and aunt).


After a night of raucous laughter, hootin' and hollerin'...these were the final four whose playing prowess kept them in the game.


There she is~
Miss Dutch Blitz Bonanza 2010


Who will she pass the crown on to next year??

The key to a fun party is the people, and let me tell you, there were plenty of them here on Friday night and it was such a gift!!
*****
Now it's back to the biggest thing to plan is what we are having for dinner.
And tonight, my guess is: breakfast! (again).



Comments

Debbie said…
Wow, that looks like fun. I'm not sure I have that many friends and very few family! But I could probably fine enough willing participants to get something going. No, I'd have to get up and work hard. I think I'll pass! :)Your mom and I are the same age. She'll understand; just ask her!
Debbie
I heard, via the grapevine, that this was an outstanding party. Laughter abounded. I just can't believe the one who proclaimed herself "the winner", actually was "the winner". My part was fun too. I loved having three of your adorable children overnight. Jeane', you would make any party fun!
Anonymous said…
"Dutch Blitz!"

Love the idea. So fun. Had I been there...I would've killed ya'all! : )

SO FUN!

(by the way, you always look so beautiful in each & every picture. Not at all as if you are running around after so many little dear ones. I am sure, like all Mom's, you have you inglorious moments, but you do look rather GREAT!
Marilou said…
BEST PARTY EVER!! And i'm NOT just saying that because I walked away the "Grand Dame of Dutch Blitz",either. Or because I won the BEST Morning Glory muffins EVER! But because it was an amazing night of beautiful women, laughing out heads off, playing out hearts out and stuffing our faces with out of this world food and being hosted by Polly Party herself! Thank you for coming up with this event and I look forward with GREAT anticipation to next years gathering! :)
Becky A. Schick said…
Jeané, the party was a blast. I love winning. And now I can say I loved losing! :oD Those morning glory muffins your aunt spoke of... could I get that recipe? A while back I was so hungry for them but couldn't place my finger on a proper recipe. Thanks so much!
Michelle said…
Oh, how I really really really really wish my head wasn't about to explode that night. You all really look like you had tons of fun. Ah, can't believe I missed it! Well, enough of dwelling in the past. I'm looking forward to the next par-tay!! Oh, and the name I was coming with {for real, I did not make this up after the fact} was: The Original Queen. ;)
That looks like such a cute party! :D

Popular Posts