In Place of....

A few weeks ago I was bemoaning to my husband that we have no 'vacation' planned for the summer. This is nothing new. We've done day trips here and there in the past years, but nothing more. Primarily it's because over the past four summers I have been at various stages of 'beach whale' form, in most cases with small children in tow. This summer is the first I'm wearing 'normal' clothes, but still, I have 5 under age 3 in tow. My husband gently proposed to me as he has before: You find me a place to take our family that you would still call a 'vacation' by the end of it, and we will go.


Yet again, I came up empty.


So instead of heading to the shore this weekend (as if that were the normal thing to do), he suggested we stay at home and that I could plan a party/picnic over the weekend. The planning a party thing soothed my Sanguine longing, and so we will vacation at home, and have a little highlight in the mix.
Staying at home has such benefits, and when i think about it, we have everything that makes a holiday weekend special, right here:

A few ice cream sandwiches after a long, hot day's play....

...a 'boat' in which to commandeer while the lady of leisure enjoys the ride...
(before the picture was taken he informed me that he is "brave and strong. I can do anything")


...a 'cabana' (for chickens)...


...a perfect spot for fishin'....
(who needs a pond? They're overrated anyway. A log, Disney fishing poles and big imagination are all that is required).



...'down time' with good denim, dirty leather and thoughts to chew on....


...and all the people that you deeply love around you...



...why leave when everything is right here??

Happy Memorial Day weekend to you!
( Let us not forget the "National Treasures" among us. Our veterans deserve great honor!)

Comments

I love this post! I cannot believe you posted this. I had just finished posting about Memorial Day and thought I would visit a few blogs. Yours is always the first in my choices, and I found it quite amusing that we both posted similiar patterns of thought. I must admit though, I think yours with pictures of all those precious people, is my favorite! The best way to spend the weekend is with those you love.
Anonymous said…
Hello Jeane,

Your plans for Memorial Day seem perfect--the best times are the moments spent with our family and loved ones:)

I wish you and your family a blessed weekend:)

Best,
Debi (in MN)
Terri said…
catching up on your posts....Memorial day at your house looks like alot of fun! Perhaps you should start charging people to vacation at your house, looks fun and full of happy people! Good seeing you yesterday...even though you neglected to bring those babies with you! Next time come "just cause"...

Popular Posts