A Corner to Call Her Own

When I was a little girl, my mom stuffed my white desk into my closet, creating an insta-office the moment I slid that paneled door open. It served as S&H Stamp headquarters and, at other times, the production facility for mass stationary created out of white paper and cut out photos of florals from the Royer's seed catalog (in which I would guilt hapless relatives into buying). I loved it for the productivity achieved on it's glossy white surface.

***

I have a daughter (the oldest of my two girls) and today I 'remade' an old desk just for her.
She is a tad like me in that she loves to get things done. Efficiency makes her hum with happiness. Unlike her mother, however, she also has a huge helping of melancholy poured into her temperament, which longs for space, order and silence. She is hard-pressed to find those things in these parts. And so, God brought it to mind today, that I should carve out a little corner in which she can 'escape' when I (or she) senses she needs to.

Here is what I dug out of the back of the barn:



While I steer clear of pretension or image-building in this Coffee Cottage, I still have my pride that is very, very, very grateful for the manipulation of a camera and the fact that you cannot see my paint job up close. Really, i feel like a fraud even showing this amateur attempt at furniture restoration. I am embarrassed for myself.  It was a miracle that I got ANY project like this done, nonetheless in the ever-shortening nap/quiet time of the day. It would have been lovely to have done it 'right' and distressed it like many of the bloggers I see do so easily. It's not 'perfect', but it serves it's purpose because she likes it. That was the point.









Next up: How and where to install a rock climbing wall in the house for my other {not-so-demure} daughter. Any suggestions for winterizing a corner of the home for a child who one could easily project a future in the Navy Seals  (do they allow women? i hope not.) or a career as a stunt double would be appreciated deeply. That, and a soundproof room with a door handle operated by fingerprint recognition only. This would be for me.


True silence is the rest of the mind, and is to the spirit what sleep is to the body, nourishment and refreshment.

~William Penn






Comments

Perfect idea for your little sweetheart. I love how you created this little space. Time and time again, you amaze me in how you find time to create like you do. As for the rock climbing wall...I am sure that will come to you too and in a brief amount of time you will have it done. I will be waiting:)
Anonymous said…
Hi Jeane, I so needed to read your post today, as I'm thinking my five year old Savannah is needing her own lil space to go and create. Even though I renting my cottage i'm gonna see if and what I can do to a corner of her room that isn't to permanent to give her a space to unwind, so to speak.
Love your blog, Viola over at;
www.alongawidowedroad.blogspot.com
Jeane'!! I love it. so cozy, inviting, warm!!!! It's a beautiful extension of your home, (which I miss and it's dwellers therein). Perhaps we'll be together soon with Terri....we can talk dates.

I am always inspired by the way you actively take notice of your children's personalities and AIM TO WORK WITH THEM, NOT AGAINST THEM. I'm so glad you have a blog....you offer so much to this WWW.

xoxo
Sarah said…
What a sweet and thoughtful mama you are!
Unfortunately, I have not figured out the soundproof room thing.
The rock climbing wall actually seems do-able,though!

Popular Posts