Pushing the "Pause" Button


It always, always ends the same way.
We open our doors, plop down on seats and sigh the sigh of utter exhaustion with a hint of
'we made it. barely.' within it's long exhale.
We then drive home to unload and carry upstairs five half or fully asleep children.
How many times do we do this, and forget the last time we plopped, sighed and swore it wouldn't happen for another five years?

***

This year we were fortunate enough to receive three very generous invitations for Thanksgiving celebrations with our families.  All the invitations were with people we love. And all for Thanksgiving dinner served smack dab in the middle of the majority of our children's {crucial} daily naps.

We weren't going to do all three, as two of them would have overlapped each other, and one was a distance away. But then, late Thursday evening the thought occurred to us:

Let's push "Pause".

Why not take a year that holds 5 very busy, very small, unable-to-help-themselves-in-almost-every-way children and simply stay home?

Why not acknowledge that while your heart instinctively imagines family dinners the way they used to be, when you could actually sit and converse with a family member for more than 1 minute at a time, is, for now, something of the past. Hopefully, it will be a thing of the future as well. But for this season, it always ends up with the plop on the van seat paired with the exhausted sigh.

Part of me feels like a wimp {I should be able to handle my children and crowds better), but the bigger part of me feels relieved.

Often it's said, "Bring you're children! There will be plenty of hands to help!".
I completely appreciate the willingness behind those words, and I love to share my children with those I love...but I have come to discover that taking our children into bustling homes full of people {with or without helping hands!} somehow makes the effort of the event even more chaotic. It is not a reflection of the hosts, the company or my children...it's just how it is IN THIS SEASON of our life.


And thus, this Thanksgiving will be breaking tradition for the first time ever in my life.
I've always had to miss Santa Clause arriving on his sleigh down Broadway in New York City at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade...but this year, we can stay in our PJ's all throughout the blimps, Broadway bits and all the way to jolly Old Saint Nick at the end, ushering in my favorite time of year. I will, however, miss seeing much loved relatives but am grateful for their gracious understanding at our decision for this year.



We've ordered a small turkey from the Turkey Farm down the street, are stocked with green beans and Costco's instant mashed potatoes (did you actually think I would go all out and make them fresh?? Well, these are all natural and shave off about an hour of prep, and taste GREAT!). All this week I've been making a BIG DEAL in talking with the children of the extra-special dinner we are going to have on Thursday night (not afternoon!), just like the Pilgrims and Indians did many years ago. Grandparents are warmly invited to come if they are able, and we shall have ourselves a little Gratitude Feast at our very own kitchen table. Of course, it will probably include a few water spills, cries from teething twins and forks banging on the table. That is fine by me. Perhaps, with the lack of the flutter and flurry of being 'out of their element', we will be able to more clearly explain why it is we sit down with grateful hearts.

What ever you do, where ever it's at and however it's done, I do wish you a truly special Thanksgiving. If you are going through a time where you must dig deeper than you have the energy to find something in which to be grateful, I pray that God lifts a reason for your weary eyes to behold in a surprising way this week.


'Tis the gift to be simple,
'Tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
It will be in the valley of love and delight.

When true simplicity is gained,
to bow and to bend, we will not be ashamed
To turn, turn, will be our delight,
'Til by turning, turning, we come round right.
~Joseph Brackett, Jr.

Comments

Michelle said…
I LOVE this, Jeane'! You are going to have such a nice time as a family, and it may be 'relaxing' ;) I'm excited for you that you're doing this!
Anonymous said…
Jeane,
I read your posts about how many years when my son was young that we would take him to his grandparents for Turkey Dinner. Now he's an adult he goes where he wants. I now have my five year old, where we do go to a relatives house. And we too might hit a melt down because she won't want to leave. Thanks for sharing that the importance of just being home, and living in the moment.

God bless your holiday.

Viola over at www.alongawidowedroad.blogspot.com
Anonymous said…
Good for you! We had to do this often when our kids were young and have never regretted it. After too many traveling Holidays, with only one or two days off work for my husband, and sick kids when all was said and done, we decided to start our own traditions. God blessed that decision and our families enjoyed visits from us at less hectic times of the year!

Tracy ( a quiet follower of your blog!)
hersheybarnes said…
Nice blog post. I'm sure it will be a most memorable Thanksgiving!All the precious ingredients are there - right in your home! God Bless!
Very well written post dear daughter. We will be honored to join with you and your very special family on Thursday evening. We will consider it a real privilege. We have no doubt that you and your husband made a wise decision. You will be missed though. Both of your personalities add fun and laughter to every occasion. We do remember just how tired you both were last Thanksgiving. Relax and enjoy this special day!
Debbie said…
What a wonderful idea and a really nice poem. I think the kind of Thanksgiving you are planning with your family will be a memory building time at least for the oldest kids this year. My two were 17 months apart, but in the long run it worked better for me to just keep a schedule during the 'Nap' years. I think it's important that a family have their own traditions and kids learn to have a love for family and a home of their own. That's my 2 cents worth! Happy Thanksgiving! Can't wait to hear and see the photos!
Anonymous said…
Jeane,

2nd post to you today but I wanted to send you back a reply by saying how very sweet of you to say such heartfelt wonderful things as your getting to know me.
Yes, life has been tough since the passing of my husband. I couldn't imagine back then how do I go about raising a two year old on my own..I've been doing it now for three years and I just keeping doing the best with what I have for the moment. Not in a few hours, or tomorrow, just what's is for now.

I'm enjoying getting to know you through your blogs.

God bless, Viola
Anonymous said…
Jeane,

Your Thanksgiving plans sound like the perfect arrangement for your family this year! You will make a special memory for your children, and they will love the leftovers:)

Gods' blessings to you and your precious family and to your readers as well:)

Hugs,
Debi in MN
Anonymous said…
You are one wise (and witty) woman!! I'm thankful your extended family is understanding of your decision. Enjoy your littles while they are littles! : )
Jen said…
A wise, but I'm sure tough choice it was for you to make. I have to say...I'm a bit jealous that you will get to watch some of the parade!! One of my favorite things as a little girl! I seem to miss it every year these days as we are always on the road during that time. Enjoy this special time at home this year! Happy Thanksgiving dear!
Doris said…
Your plan is a wise one. It may be a sacrifice but your time together, at this time with your little ones, can never be replaced.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Popular Posts