Little Observations

Observations from this God-given day:

  1. Waking up to shower before the children arise, no matter how early the hour, is just plain worth it. I should apologize to my friend and neighbor, Sandy, for what greeted her at the front door as she kindly came to pick up my son. It was so bad, she offered to come in and sit while I take a shower.
  2. "You can do ANY thing" is what we adamantly tell our children when doubt creeps into their little warbling voices. (Hopefully they will not cling to this, however, when standing perched on the barn roof in an attempt to test the law of gravity. I have at least one child who would do this). The problem is, I don't really believe it for myself.
  3. I am weary of Facebook, and sometimes of blogging. There is so much uncovered space in between the quick phrases, cutesy writings and image building (even when you really want to stay away from constructing a false image!). While there are benefits and fun to be had in the instant, but brief connections along the information highway, there is nothing that can replace seeing the face of a dear friend and living life together. Over coffee. Or Riesling.
  4. There are reasons why my lower back is sore and craves the comfort of our old Sunbeam heating pad. In fact, there are five of them. {Two of whom weigh 24 lbs and are often carried simultaneously. up the stairs and out of cribs}. This is why I have no need for a gym membership:
  5. Television, to me, is a colossal waste of time. I tried giving a little time with a new-to-me show tonight, and I couldn't bear it. Off it went. I've got Parenthood to look forward to, but that's about it. The fact that we do not pay a penny for cable suits me just fine (we're of the old school 'antenna' sort). Even so, I still treasure our collection of children's DVD's and the moments of assistance that they afford me.
  6. My husband is a good man. He stopped at the one and only grocery store in our area (that I know of) that sells my beloved "reward for making it through the morning" and bought about 15 boxes just in case (in his words) "all heck hits the fan" (national emergency) and we're barricaded in our home for an undetermined amount of time. Or simply because he knew I'm not so keen on going to that (lesser preferred) store JUST for that item. Either way, I'm grateful.
  7. I have been quietly listening to Christmas music since October. One of my favorite albums has to be Perry Como's Greatest Christmas Songs.        While listening and enjoying, I've been thinking how hard this time of year can be for those who have been touched by the sadness of loss. Christmas music holds no measure of merriment, and the over all 'joy' of the season is like the sun when it's too bright and causing a headache. I want to be aware. As for the early encroachment of the holidays, it does not bother me. We keep things very simple, and thus, I do not stress. It comes and goes every year, and every year I hope to pull back the curtain further for my children to see the significance over substance of it all.
  8. Making crafts with my children, particularly anytime after 3pm, brings forth my very best 'Wicked Witch of the West' impersonation. And I don't even have to try hard. I will say, however, that as far as crafts/games ideas go, Disney's Family Fun website is a nifty little resource. I'm sure you have heard of it, and possibly contributed. I just am a late bloomer where all things 'craft' are concerned. Thankfully, the children have their grandma to meet that need far better than I ever could!
  9. I made my favorite Bran Muffin recipe today with the girls. It brought about the start of the next World War, but we got it made without any casualties. If you are looking for a delicious and easy way to keep batter that makes the best brannies at your beck and call (the longer it sits, the better it tastes!), look no further:
Six Week Bran Muffins

1 box (15 oz) Raisin Bran Cereal
3 cups sugar
5 cups flour
4 eggs beaten
1 cup oil
1 quart buttermilk
5 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
(walnuts optional, and quite good!)

Mix cereal and sugar. Add eggs, oil and buttermilk.
Stir in remaining ingredients. Grease muffin tins and fill 3/4 full. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes. This batter can be stored in a covered container in the fridge for up to six weeks. (and like I said, the longer it 'ferments'-yummy word- the better they taste!).

***

It was a day very much like the others. It was a gift.
Thank you for dropping by, and if nothing else, at least you got a good Bran Muffin recipe to take away with you. Here's to regular days..and staying regular!






Comments

That's the bran muffin my mom has. I love it! Take care Jeane'!
Peter and Kim said…
Thanks for these "regular" observations!
I love the picture of you on the floor with your boys. So sweet! (And think of all the leg muscles you are exercising!!!) :)
Thank you for posting!
♥ Kim
thank you for taking the time to share your heart. i never tire of reading your words.

i like when you number things.

you're cracking me up with that last line!! :)

oh my word~~Jeane', you carry almost 50 lbs around all.day.long in all kinds of positions! WOW, no wonder your back is a bit sore!!! You must have the most amazingly toned arms!!

speaking of face-to-face time, (as opposed to facebook), let's plan something soon....perhaps with Terri. Would a Wednesday be best for you? I can make that work....

I have to stop staying up so late, but it's just so......so quiet!!!
Shelly said…
Love your observations . . . and I'm with you on a lot of them. Like getting dressed before children pop out of their beds, the love of REAL connections with friends~not so much on social media sites, and TV being a colossal waste of time (and it's just so NOISY) . . . oh, and Bran muffins sound delish. Thanks for the thoughts and the recipe!
Kristen said…
j - thank you for putting to words what i have been feeling (but haven't been able to articulate) about FB lately. a fun passtime, and a sense of community, yes. but it does nothing for the days (ahem, monday) when i am in stay-at-home-mom-hell and i am desperate for a kind grown-up to come and 'live life with me' (as you said) but all i have is my stinking computer. there is no comparison. no status update that i can say (or want to) to the entire world of my however-many friends (although i was considering: "HELP--I HATE MY LIFE RIGHT NOW") that will communicate rightly how much i love my children and my house but oh boy if i could just escape for an hour it would be blissful. anyway, you said it perfectly, so thank you. you are a gift.
Doris said…
Once again I enjoyed reading what you wrote. You will love reading this when your kids are older. I did not take the time to write when my kids were young....now I wish I had.

I love Perry Como. I was an Activity Director at a nursing home for many years...he was a regular =) (Cd's and cassette tapes of course!) We had a VHS tape too that our residents just loved! I may need to purchase a CD for me this year =)

Have a great day!
Sarah said…
I'm with you on the facebook thing. I have considered deleting mine, but refrained - for now.
Rachel said…
always a pleasure to stop by your lovely blog...and such a pleasure it was to be in your lovely home this morning!! such a pleasure!
and, those very muffins this morning were won-der-ful!
you are a gem, and what a delight to have you for a neighbor, and new-found friend!!
Anonymous said…
Thank you for dropping by my blog this mid day. I'm enjoying your posts and the recipe for the muffins. Take care,

Viola of www.alongawidowedroad.blogspot.com

Popular Posts