In Acceptance lies Peace

It is not the definition of 'peace' I once knew.
The definition of peace I refer to goes something like this:

PEACE: The attitude of allowing the small stuff of life to be what it will be: imperfect. 
To cease and desist from clinging to the expectations that my world will be
calm,
ordered,
efficient
and convenient
during the majority of waking {and sleeping!} hours.

***

For those of you who appreciate visual illustrations of a definition,
here you go:


PEACE: Every nook and cranny of my body was begging to stay in bed, and trying it's best to ignore the blaring, scratchy sound of country music blaring from the room down the hallway at 6AM this morning. The little boy that slipped into the darkness of the "Master Suite" and excitedly proclaimed,

" Mom, Dad! There is a DANCE party in my room! Can you hear it from here???"

forced my body to rise above it's desire to stay put and address the enthused youth. I reluctantly got my behind out of bed and yet again confront the fact that there is, and never has been, such a thing as a 'gradual wake up'. I have begun to accept it, and embrace the fact that they are making memories with each other, without our help, and someday I will miss it fiercely.

{Picture taken with husband's itouch, which he uses as a bedside alarm}.




PEACE: Accepting the fact that the Apple Struesel muffins you made to go with your coffee can taste just as good in a plastic Target Dollar Bin Seaseme Street bowl as they would on fine bone China. Lukewarm coffee enhances the experience, and although the microwave could make it hot again, it's not worth the risk that, yet again, you'll stick in there and only find it when you go to nuke the sweet peas for dinner.




PEACE: Accepting that common household chores can be done with considerable more speed and efficiency if one does it themselves. Yet when one considers the fun and confidence it inspires in little souls that long to be big helpers, sometimes (NOTE: I have omitted the word ALWAYS) the mess and prolonged process is utterly worth it.



PEACE: The resignation to the fact that the piles of miscellaneous 'stuff' that has no other designated space under the roof will always  find a way to accumulate on  precious counter space, no matter how many cute baskets  or other disguises one plops upon the counter to mask the misfit items that one's husband WILL find in the trash if you throw it away because you don't care to take the time to make arrangements for it all.




PEACE: Accepting the fact that ALL mothers (even the sweet-voiced, long suffering ones of whom I truthfully don't really like) sometimes loose their heads. Even Precious Moments ones. Gratefully, little children have an immense propensity for mercy towards their mothers.



PEACE: Acceptance that Free-range play most often equals Huge-fat mess.




PEACE: Into our lives (mama or not) piles of 'junk' can be dumped or accumulated.
This is not as rare as we think it is. It's just that we aren't usually privy to the kitchen floors (or hearts) of those around us at any given moment. The mess is there, and it can be cleaned up. I was tempted to make my son clean up this ever growing pile he made all by himself. But upon further consideration, I think it would be better to show the grace he shows me when I've messed up by blowing my top and instead help him scoop it up and put it back in it's place. This is my response right now, but it's not always my response (just so you know!).




PEACE: The face of a little child enjoying life among the imperfections.




It has been slowly dawning upon me that the sooner I get over myself, the less tension motherhood (or any kind of 'hood' you find yourself in!) produces. Don't get me wrong, I do not live in a constant state of "Que Sera Sera". But with the volume of children and the 'chaos' that produces, I am left with a pretty clear choice of either staying uptight or letting life happen and realizing that PEACE comes when my attitude says "You know what? This is really just not that big of a deal. It's not about me. Stop and see that they are enjoying life and step out of the way."

As it has been said,

In acceptance lies PEACE.

I now know what that means.
For me.

What does that mean for you?





Comments

Shar said…
Your post are ALWAYS like copies of my own journal...and I too have learned, especially in the past 6 months, that the more I "let go", the happier and more content we ALL are! Thinking of you lots!
Unknown said…
Jeane, thank you!!! This made me think about the stage that even I am in right now. I need to appreciate each and every moment and 99% of the time forget that.

And I so need a Johnny & Ray fix . . . their precious little faces remind me of my Nathan at that age. I just want to eat them up!!!

You are a truly amazing and beautiful woman and mom. Thank you for sharing yoru heart!
Jana said…
The toys in the Tonka picture look like they're ALIVE. And I must say that the Precious Moments figurine was significantly improved ;) (evil winky face).

The kids sure are a lively, adorable crew, and who can resist the twins' grins?
Jeane'....i NEVER tire of reading your words. Somehow they seem to spill out almost effortlessly. IT IS A GIFT and I'm so glad your *using* it....to journal and to journal publically!!

I think this post may go down as one of my favorites....right along with the one about your quest for creme' brulee.

xoxo.
i love and i miss you.
Laurel Greer said…
I LOVE this quote:

It has been slowly dawning upon me that the sooner I get over myself, the less tension motherhood (or any kind of 'hood' you find yourself in!) produces.
Such a fabulous post. Thank you. Almost every example you used could have come out of our own household...
Doris said…
This post brings back many memories of when my brood was younger! Wise words for a very wise and level headed Mommy =) God Bless You!
Sarah said…
I love this post, ESPECIALLY the precious moments mom...that might be how I'm feeling this morning...
:)
Lauren said…
This past Wednesday I was responsible for a 2 year old and an infant along with my 3 and 1 year olds. The entire day I kept thinking- Jeane has it CRAZIER than this EVERY DAY! (Also- I didn't manage to consume a single cup of HOT coffee all day and found a cold one still in the micro at dinner! ha.) This is a great post- I admire your deliberate choice to step back, grab the reality of "perspective" and the grace it affords, and make the time to post about it :)
I like your definition of peace. :)

And I may have to use the term "free range play." I LOVE that!
Anonymous said…
Jeane,

Great post--it's a wonderful feeling to find peace amongst the chaos, isn't it? Sadly, I too often get frazzled instead of peaceful:(It's also liberating to realize that "perfect" only exists as an illusion, and then it's so much easier to accept ourselves as we are and others as they are:) In truth, there is a lot of beauty in imperfection. I like to think that way , at least!! Mostly, I love the peace that passes understanding that comes from Christ:)
Blessings to you,
Debi in MN
Anonymous said…
Just found your blog via my blog friend Connies. Ok, first off, I love your blog. I will surely be back to visit. I'm a Christian widowed mom and am looking for more gals that love the lord like I do. God bless your week. Please feel free to drop by my blog if you get a free chance. God bless, Viola of www.alongawidowedroad.blogspot.com

Popular Posts