Perspective.

Tonight as
i dealt
with teething twins,
(thus) crying all through dinner,
two toddler females
whose emotions
spent most of today
right on the surface,
but never so much
as right before bed,
a little boy who
wants me to read him
the Bible before he sleeps,
but i can't
because every swallow
brings pain thanks to my
raspy, raw throat,
and as i lay spread out
across the hallway,
with my head in my son's room,
my feet in my daughter's,
 chaperoning them  
into dreamland
(by tearful request),
while knowing
the ever-faithful partners,
Mr. Dirt E. Dish and Mrs. Loads O'Laundry
are patiently waiting for me,
as they have all
weekend long....
My weary mind waves me away
from my little corner
and
reminds me
of the corner that
another mother is sitting in,
a mother who has already
been through hell and back
(but barely)
and now her little timoun (child)
has Cholera.

AFP/Thony Belizaire

The little girl she loves 
has a name, a personality
but I don't know
what they are.
In fact, i only caught a
clip from the newscast as
i was
in and out
 chasing babies,
changing diapers.
Diapers of
healthy children.
The chasing of children
who have feet to
find fun and
the energy, freedom
and space
to do so.

Suddenly,
there is
no room for,
no need of
and shame for
the pity
i was on my
way to
wallow in.
For i have it made.
Seriously made.
And I wonder...
what can I do
for the woman
who does not
?
?
?



Comments

Terri said…
Very sweet post, Jeane. All too soon these days will pass and be substituted for bigger, more teenage dramatics. But, your perspective is on track when you compare these things with what "could be". You'll get through tomorrow and the next day with Grace on your side...as we can only hope will be the case for that other mommy so far, far away. Thanks for beating a little reality into all your readers!
Anonymous said…
LOVED this. and a great reminder i will have to come back to time and time again this week, tomorrow im sure ;) thanks for sharing. -liz
I have chronic back pain, and I often think about what it must be like for a woman/mother in a 3rd world country who has an aching back. She likely doesn't have a heating pad. Nor does she have access to pain relief medicines or to physical therapy. And I'm guessing she has to carry her water or big bags of rice.

Yes, we have it easy.
Rachel said…
this just makes me cry.
because, i can so identify with your feelings, your words from you day(s).
and while i know there is always someone worse off than me (or you), it does not mean the 'hard thing' i (or you) are going thru does not matter.
but, it does call me to regard everyone's hard things as worthy of compassion....no matter how big, or how small.

hoping you feel God's love in a really big way today!!!

Popular Posts