Not My Ordinary Month

One year ago today, I was on the other side of Mt. Birth, with not one, but two sweet little boys laying on either side of my hospital bed. The identical twin boys born to us were hale and hearty, something we were completely in awe of and could not take for granted. They also were given something a little extra special from God: their own birthdays. One born at 11:30pm and the other at 12:29am! They have proven to be the most adorable little additions to our family we could have possibly asked for. They are twins, so sure, it's double the work...but in a unique way, they are my easier ones, as they often entertain each other, having little conversations in their cribs after they wake up in the morning or after naps. I cannot express enough my deep love for them.

One might call into question, however, my devotion as I have yet to see them on their first 'birthdays'. 
If you visit my dear mom's blog, you will see that while she was in a drunken stupor* she generously insisted in watching the children when I told her there was an opportunity for me to join my husband on a quick business trip to upstate Jersey (try not to be jealous at the locale).*I completely jest. My mother never has or ever will be a drinker to any degree. There is a small chance, though, that her resolve might have been tested after watching my children for three days straight. ;)

After realizing that this business trip fell over the twins first birthdays, I felt bad. 
For 5 seconds.


I know there have been plenty of lavish 'first birthday parties' and that is truly a special event that many make for their babies, and someday, those babies will see those pictures and marvel at their mother's love for them.
My children will have to find that love in other pictures or memories. I have not made a big hoorah of any first birthday. This is the lowest I have gone though, by not even being there!! (I'm totally out of running for "Mother of the Year". Forever and ever. Amen).


However, I did love their father before I loved them and getting away for even just 3 days and keeping this relationship priority is part of a pact we made from the time we had our first baby (who we left for the first time for one night with my parents when he was 3 weeks old). I think maintaining our relationship is an act of love towards our children and I am SO grateful for the many hands that have helped to make this 'more than the usual dinner out' getaway  possible!

 ***

For a woman who spends 95% of her daily existence at home during any given month,
who is not committed to any outside activity beyond keeping her children alive (and hopefully happily so!),
this month has been completely out-of-the-ordinary! Yesterday was not just another Wednesday...not when it starts with:

Being dropped off at the train station with my hot cup of coffee, big black purse and high hopes for a splendid day in New York City. What I did not expect? To have two women come aboard during the next stop, share my seat and make the trip one hundred times more enjoyable. We laughed, related and shared bits of our stories. The one lady's first husband died after 33 years, and her second had passed as well. The lady right next to me loves her dear dog, probably more that his little fluffy head can fathom, as her husband of 27 years left her years back. She had to live with a rejection that I have to think is far worse than death. Death isn't (usually) a decision. Leaving is.  Anyhow, these two neighbor ladies and I  just chatted it up as we chugged our way into the big city. As we walked into Penn Station, we hugged each other, wishing each other well as we faced the subway system that we came to find intimidated us all! I am energized by such encounters!




I then took the the subway a few blocks down. Until I realized I needed to be a few blocks UP.



When I emerged from the murky depths of the subway system (which I CANNOT imagine riding every day), I treated myself to a little cafe chair and subsequent people watching (a long-lost favorite pastime of mine. I love to attach what I feel is a probable story to colorful  or not-so-colorful characters that walk by).

I stopped to smell some roses.

I then met a long, long-time and treasured friend, Antoinette, for a manicure and pedicure in which she SO generously treated me to. This woman is all heart (and all New York!). I love her!

Bliss.

I stopped by the Huxtable residence. Unfortunately, neither Claire nor Cliff answered the door.

We took in the serene scene that resides deep in the middle of all the hustle and bustle that is 
New York City.


If you were a fan of "Friends", this fountain should look familiar to you. (sans couch).



Central Park beckons with every twist and turn.
Ferraro's has THE best Tirimasu. Unfortunately, all I got was a picture this time.

We ended the day with my husband joining us for one of the best meals I have EVER had in my life (and I've had many delicious meals). "Cuba" could not have been better. Unless Desi Arnaz would have been playing with his band and Lucy at the next table.


Tonight, we go back to 'life as usual' and believe it or not, I am looking forward to it! 
Before those charming women I mentioned came aboard the train, I had begun writing a 'Renewal Act". It details various ways and means to make life at home more efficient and hopefully, enjoyable. The first thing on the list? Wake up at 5am and dress for the day. Ambitious? Yes. Written by a woman away from the fray? Yes.
Doable? Maybe. Necessary for continued survival? I think so. 

In any case, thank you for joining me on my Wednesday adventure. Next week during 'quiet time/nap time', I'll probably sit down and look at the pictures of what I was doing only one short week ago, realize I'm still in my robe (at noon) and faintly recall that, yea, I think I did write out a "Renewal" something or other...but I'll chose to forget the specifics.
 


Comments

Kristen said…
jeane' i LOVE what you've done with the place!!! what a warm, vintage feel! perfect!
Michelle said…
1. Love the new look!
2. Love that you had a great time in NYC. {And love the Friends fountain pic!!}.
3. Love the new look!

:) Michelle
Sarah said…
I second what Kristen said. Your blog looks fantastic!
Fresh new look! It looks great! And your day in NYC looked oh so fabulous. :-) Glad you had a breather.
Rachel said…
omw!! i'm so totally happy for you that you had this fabulous time away! totally happy, and a teensy bit jealous.;O) but so happy for and with you, that it really does not come into play (my jealousy, that is). what a wonderful, refreshing time away, and time alone! and, with your husband.
it sounds like a dream!!
and, theee!! Friends fountain!! so fun!
hope your weekend is happy back at the cottage!
Wanda said…
My dear Ant! Lovely pictures! Lovely ladies! I'm so jealous! How wonderful! I'm glad you girls got to hang out and enjoy such beautiful scenery and get some pampering done - Lord knows, you BOTH need some pampering! You two are so dear! Love to you both!
Sarah said…
Oh, I also wanted to add (and probably forgot- I think I need a nap) that I LOVE that you keep your relationship with your husband as a priority over your kids. I want the same thing for me when I have my own kids.
I'm SOOO glad you got a beautiful fall day out of the house. You deserve it =: )
oh friend, a day in NYC!!! YOU DESERVE IT & MANY OTHER GOOD THINGS!!! hope your Monday is going well.....thinking of you right now from across the stinky fields...
xoxo

Popular Posts