The Late Dork

Saturday did not hold the typical same-as-any-other-day-of-the-week flavor for me.
There were two different events I attended, both supporting women who have left an imprint in my life and who are doing so in many other's lives as well.  If you care to stick around, you can wade in my shallow musings regarding one of the events. But first, I've got to put on some decaf {I am going to actually break here to do just that...I'll be right back}...


Ok, I'm back. Coffee is brewing, the living room/playroom is tidy and the last of the dinner dishes are snug in their dishwashing machine racks and on their way to being clean {seriously, dishwashers are SUCH a luxury!}.

The first event of my Saturday was Walk4Water. This event was brought about by 4 woman PLUS a whole lot of helping hands who poured their hearts into raising over $19,000 towards clean water for Rwandan orphans (more than double the 'goal' set at $9,000). It was a completely worthwhile event in every way. The event had nothing to do with me, yet getting there and mingling brought to light two things:

1. I DE-TEST being late. But I am always late.

Envision if you will, a tall woman of German stock bounding out of minivan which had come to a screeching halt in the empty parking lot of a local church. {Sparks and smoke may or may not have been involved}. She flies out of the drivers side to the back of the van, hefting a large wooden Amish-made wagon out of it's trunk, zipping from one side of a van to the other, whisking out three toddlers and plopping them in said-wagon. She then bounds through field and marsh, hill and dale, trying to ignore the force of heavy, large-wheeled wagon threatening to run her over, to the neighboring {adjacent}church property where the desired event was being held. She was already 15 minutes behind, 1 exit too far off the highway for access to the event's parking lot and 20+ "are we there yet's" that were pushing her towards a small breakdown.

I think I know where I am going, but many times, I do not.
Foresight, no matter how much I feel I've given to any one event, is never adequate. This covers everything from directions to where I am going and charging up the no-frills Trac Phone of mine, whose number I do not even know. This has been a lifelong battle, and it is my hope to beat it someday. But I do not see it happening anytime soon.


2. I am SUCH a dork. PLEASE forget I opened my mouth and let's just keep walking.

I saw a woman I had met. A long time ago. I went to school with her husband. Actually, not to divulge too much, but I skated with him to Amy Grant's "Love Will Find a Way" at the Castle Roller Rink in Jr. High. I didn't want things to get to awkward, so I didn't mention this as I was walking by her. But I might was well have.
It was one of those conversations in {literal} passing that should just be left unsaid. There was nary a flicker of recognition when she saw me coming towards her. I should have smiled and kept walking at my brisk, German workhorse pace, chugging my heavy load behind me.

But no. Sally Sanguine just HAS to open her mouth...."Hiiii! Aren't you Deb SoandSo??" (a quick nod and polite smile that does not invite more probing, but it's too late..more words were spewing from my mouth as we are now actually passing each other} "Oh, yes... I know you from Sarah (such a rare name. I'm sure she knows of whom I refer. Her eyes tell me she's waiting for the point. Dagnabit! There ISN'T any!)...anyway... (as she is now behind me), have a great walk!! (oh, that's right this is the end of the walk)!".      **Sigh.**

WHY?

Just. plain. WHY?

I should just have walked and let walk!

There have been countless times in my existence when I come home from parties or gatherings of any kind where I replay the conversations and cringe...no more so than now, when interactions requiring words with more than one syllable and adult themes are as sparse as a snow cap in the Sahara.

Seriously.

I need help.

So if by chance, you someday recognize me, see me approaching, and you feel you are about to be pounced on, be warned-- it could be awkward, and feel free to tell me you hear your Great Aunt Bertrude calling you. I'll understand. And probably be quite grateful to you for sparing me the humiliation.


Enough about me.
{Do not worry. I live every day in an environment where it is not 'all about me'. I am fully aware it is not!}

Speaking of my environment--I thought you might like to see the results of my effort to turn OFF "repeat play" on the DVD and rather, spend quality time with my children by playing with educational toys (a $6.99 large Dora floor puzzle from Ross) on this rainy day:



Happy beginning of the first week in October, my friend!
My decaf is running low, as is my ability to string words together.
Thank you so much for sharing the trivial with me tonight (or day). ;)


Comments

Jana said…
Skating to Love Will Find a Way. Really? LOL! It's funny how those way back when moments still haunt us.
In this early morning hour, I just read your last two posts and the comments that are passing through my mind after reading them are; after all the years of reading the poem of the "Old Woman and the Shoe", you were never the one that came to my mind. The last few times that I have seen you, you were more beautiful than ever and you don't look anything like her! As for the big woman you were talking about on this post,the one pulling the wagon, you don't fit her description either...no, not even in a small way. As for being late...well, that I cannot comment on, and admitedly I might be able to share a story or two here. As for your warm, funny, caring Sanguine personality...I think it is a wonderful gift that God has blessed you with. It has opened more doors and made you more friends than I could have ever imagined. Thank God for it today and keep on talking to those in your pathway. As for the regrets later...we all have had them, I promise you. As for the Dora puzzle, I was impressed with the participation and the picture of it. I smiled the whole way through the Woman and the Shoe poem.
Sarah said…
Oh, Jeane'! One- I used to go to Skateaway during my junior high years, too. It was the thing to do!
Two- I'm really happy I got to meet you on Saturday. Thank you for entertainment MY drivel. I would have liked to have sat with you, but be glad you didn't- I would have talked your ear off!
And three- I think we have all had moments like that, when we wish we could press rewind and try again. But you know? It gives you a story, it makes you relatable, and really? What bad really comes of it?
YOU are a precious gift, Jeane', and I really doubt you caused any harm in your interactions.
(I'm pretty tired myself today, so I'm kind of wishing I could just give you a big hug instead of all these words.)
Jen said…
Oh Jeane` - thank you for the laugh. You are hilarious - and I have experienced everything you've described (more often than I like to admit). :-) Miss you!!
Debbie said…
Jeane', you don't look that tall.
Anonymous said…
Jeane,

As usual your comments hit home with me:) I always say that I am a great rewriter, which is what I love about writing, but in real life, one cannot just hit a "delete" button, if you know what I mean. Many times I have felt just like you did and think why couldn't I just "walk on by." My kids tend to laugh with me at such moments when I wave too hard to the person who doesn't recognize me or introduce myself the third time to the person who never remembers meeting me before.

Having a sanguine personality is a blessing as Judy pointed out, and being able to laugh at those moments is a treat too. Being a woman of grace is a treasure and that is what you are. I can't say the same for the woman on the street:)

Blessings,
Debi in MN
Peter and Kim said…
When I saw this picture, I thought, "Why is Jeane' taking a picture of herself helping in the church nursery...?" But, you ARE the church nursery! (And doing a FABULOUS job!)
(If you can survive this week of rain, kudos to you! Mrs. Noah didn't have little ones in tow, or else it might not have just been a dove flying out the window!)
just about peeing myself during this post.

i had read over it quickly the other day, but took the time to get an undistracted read in this time around....you crack me up!!!! i never tire of you!

LOVE FROM ACROSS THE FIELD AND MARSH, HILL AND DALE!!! HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!
Anonymous said…
Oh! I know exactly how you feel! I often happily greet someone (at times by the wrong name!) and have nothing really to say so I end up saying something that I wish later I hadn't. I have a new motto. I'll share it with you, although it hasn't completely worked YET! You may recognize it!

"A wise old owl lived in an oak
The more he saw the less he spoke
The less he spoke the more he heard.
Why can't we all be like that wise old bird?"

-Hallie

Popular Posts