Slumber Party at the Coffee Cottage!


Good evening, my friend!

First of all, let me just thank you for the comments that have been left, not just for the encouragement they bring to my heart, but for the life they add to this online cottage.

As I have mused before, this medium can be so one-sided that when there is any form of dialogue, each word is treasured...even when there is an 'anonymous' posting and I cannot picture the name with the face or blog behind it.




Tonight we are going to do something a little different, and we are going to do it together...or however many of you care to participate!


(I should mention there is a girly prize involved !!)

You are invited you all to a slumber party, here at the Coffee Cottage. Whether you hosted a slew of these sleepless, sugar and gossip-induced parties in your past or whether you were the girl that didn't get invited to Shirley Golightly's coveted birthday slumber party in the 5th grade,

"TONIGHT" IS YOUR NIGHT.

(if there is daylight while you are reading this, just work with me, ok? At the Coffee Cottage we eschew technicalities). I do not care if you are age 18 or 80...this slumber party knows no age limit!


Oft times, these late night/early morning feminine festivities revolved around 4 general subjects:

Dares (Suggestions that made our hearts shiver in anticipation...or fear!)

Dreams (What we thought life would "look" like in the next 5 years, which movie star we drooled over & who we wanted to emulate.)

Drama (our most 'embarrassing' situations-click here for one of mine- and silly predicaments shared under the shroud of secrecy)

Desires (secrets shared--"you can't tell ANYone...." and then spilling out your longtime crush to 12 chatty girls who couldn't wait to share your secret with their friends at school).


Do you remember any one (or possibly all) of those 4 "D's" from your girlhood??

If you care to participate in this slumber party, all you need to do is simply post a comment with one of the "D" words listed at the beginning and then a little snippet from your past to personalize it. I will do the same!


Not only will I post the 'conversation' within the next few days, I will also randomly select the name of a commenter to win a simple, yet fabulously girly PRIZE that will include a few pink essentials for a solo slumber party that will {hopefully} lead you to sweet, sweet slumber--which is what us 'grown up girls' really want!!! You may leave up to 4 comments--each one representing a different 'D'. Emails are accepted too! This party won't stop until Friday evening.


Grab your can of Mountain Dew (or decaffeinated coffee) and start recalling simpler times when all you wanted was to be in arms of The Fonz, John Schneider (my first 'movie star' crush. Ok, really...How can you NOT fall for a man with feathered dirty blond hair who slid into his orange "General Lee" with such masculine ease) or Kirk Cameron.


Let's have some FUN!!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
A slumber party is an invitation that's hard to refuse--thank you for the invitation and the fun idea! I can remember playing "The Mystery Date Game" and "Twister" at a slumber party or two. Does any one else remember playing those games?It was always so hard to sleep after all the fun, dares, and stories that were shared! At my slumber parties my mom would make "pigs in a blanket" and we would have homemade cake in a design of our choice and neopolitan ice cream squares among other treats. Great times and special memories!! I look forward to reading other people's reflections.
Best,
Debi
Anonymous said…
Desires...

Picture it... LCS middle school 1992... girl has crush on very nice boy... unfortunately girl is going through very ugly stay (unruly afro-ish hair, glasses, and fashion identity crisis). One day she decides to leave a secret note for her crush in his locker. She writes, and I quote, "If you like someone in 6th grade, wear blue tomorrow. If you like someone in 7th grade, wear red tomorrow. If you like someone in 8th grade, wear purple tomorrow." The next day was exhilarating for this girl - what color would her crush wear?! However, just before homeroom the next day, she shared her secret with her girlfriends. Bad decision. Her girlfriends ran off to tell what seemed like the entire middle school (all 80 of us). No sooner did Mitch Wissler arrive to make fun of the poor girl. The girl, driven to extremes by such embarassment, grabbed this Wissler boy by the shirt and gave him a good shake or two. The girlfriends reported back that the nice boy knew about this admiring girl for some time but did not reciprocate any feelings. Too bad for her. How embarassing. Days like that you just want to not be noticed. Unfortunately for the girl, it was the same day that she had to stand before the entire middle school and recite her chosen piece for the ACSI speech meet... while dressed in a head to toe black and red plaid outfit (remember fashion identity crisis).
This was one of the most embarassing moments of my teenage life.
Anonymous said…
Hello again,

I just realized that I didn't list what D category my prior comments were under. I guess D for Dreams would fit since I can remember falling asleep and dreaming of who would be my future "Mystery Date" and hoping it would not be a Poindexter type:)

Also, speaking of dreams and dreamy men, I still think John Schneider is handsome! Just recently I watched a "B" sci-fi movie about these supersize alligators just because John Schneider was in it!! He's still got it goin' if you asked me:)

All the best,
Debi
momstheword said…
What a fun idea! I loved slumber parties as a kid! I always had a crush on some boy and wrote his name in my notebook and in my diary.

I remember my early school years with some Drama! My mom loved to curl my hair and I hated it, as some of the kids would tease me.

But I didn't want to hurt her feelings by asking her not to curl it.

Anyway, my sister in law suggested I come by her house, so I used to drop by my brother's house on my way to school and his wife would fix my hair!

Oh the drama of needing to have your hair "just so!"

Popular Posts