Saturday Night {Pity} Party

It was Saturday night (less than 24 hours ago).
My husband was working all day and into the later part of the evening, as I came to find out.


I am tremendously grateful he has a job. Factually, I know beyond a doubt that we are living large compared to MOST of the world. I am always just one click or one call away from hearing the miseries that the world and my friends are living with.


Yet...In my humanity, and knee-deep into mothering very small people who can do very little for themselves and have yet to be detoxed from immediately resorting to whining/crying when they need assistance (me too!), my perspective can all too easily be whittled down to only include what is smack-dab in front of me contrasted with a made-up reality. In moments such as these, I clump the rest of the world together, assume that 'everyone else' is doing this or that and thus, throw myself a little party full of pitiful pity. Which takes me back to last night.


My Saturday night:
Me versus 'Everyone Else'


While "everyone else" was gathering in their chiffon cocktail gowns and silk ties for a smashing dinner party....




...I found my little guy "shaving his whiskers" in the bathroom at 5:15. He was 'all ready' with no where to go. (The razor part was removed off the base. No need to worry, mom!)



While "everyone else" was preparing to be seated around tables draped in Damask and crowned with crystal....


... a tub made of stainless steal was filled to the brim with crusty chrome, waiting for me (not my non-existent hired help) to tackle the task. Most sophisticated people of the world had not even LEFT their homes for their dinner parties at this point. Mine was over at 5:30.
At least I had Lilacs (thanks, mom).

Have you had to go for your tissue's yet??


While "everyone else" took to the dance floor to the toe-tapping rhythm of Glenn Miller tunes, glitzy gowns swirling around their partner's crisp tuxedo clad legs...



...I darted to and fro, across the kitchen floor in a pair of Old Navy flip flops - a hair-pulling little man in one hand, and a pan of brownies in another. In the crook of my elbow was a Dora purse that needed returned to it's place upstairs, where one way-too-quiet one year old had escaped to. (one of my little girls likes to quietly take the camera and snap pictures before I can notice her)



And yet again, while "everyone else" was decompressing after their day of fun & frolic by joining together at a chic roof-top lounge for a nightcap or two...


...this is what awaited me: A fort gone bad. I could have snapped various pictures all over the house, but I was tired enough.



I find it sadly amazing how quickly my world can narrow to include just the temporary season of life, zeroing in on the petty frustrations that can magnify themselves with the enemy of our souls whispering words of comparison and discontent. All that 'unseen' activity that goes on in my mind can certainly affect what IS seen.



There is no such thing as "EVERY one else". That imaginary clumping of people I make up in my mind is nothing new. I have done so since Kindergarten (at least) during times when I want to feel pity for myself, even for the most minute of inconveniences.


Today, I have banished the 'everyone else's' and have kicked my rear in gear, keeping my mind active to the harsher realities of the world, and the countless things I have to be thankful for. Maybe it's just me, but if you ever struggle with the same....I am with you! And I am cheering on your choices (because we make many in a day!) to keep an open, clean and comparison-free mind!

Makes for better living, don't you think??

Comments

We've all been there dear daughter. The times when it just feels good to wallow for a bit. Your openness, candidness, and honesty are so refreshing. This post is one that everyone who reads it, has experienced at one time or another. It seems like Saturday nights are one of the most popular times that it happens. I loved this post! The son with the shaver is priceless! The one of you with the Dora purse, pan of brownies, and holding a baby... has become a typical scene of you, that I see quite often. Life is full of changes. There was a time where you could have never imagined that you would someday be in this situation...and before you know it, there will be the day, when try as you may, you will not be able to remember what it was like for you at this time. Thanks for sharing your heart with us today. You are beautiful!
Anonymous said…
And you didn't know that I've compared myself to my clever, witty,beautiful friend...that's YOU. I just told David that Jeane' is such a great writer, and one of the funniest people I know. She's going to be a speaker at women's conferences some day. How the heck to you get these pictures??? You are the epitome of 'multi-tasking'....and baking brownies in a skirt with beautiful hair too??? That's stuff you just see in movies! Enjoy your charmed life and the awesome gifts God has given you. You're doing an amazing job with what you have. We all can look to the left or right and see what we think looks better or easier, when in fact someone is looking at us the very same way!!!Love your blog and you!~Lisa Yancey
Anonymous said…
I'm right there with you girlfriend.
I have to fight the comparison urge often in on day.
(Sometimes even when I read your blog) : )
thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I need the reminder to always be thankful. It definitly helps.
Missy
Anonymous said…
Hello Jeane,

Your mother's comments ring so true as do the other sweet comments! You are amazing; you make having six kids look easy:)

We all play the "comparison game" from time to time. I can be VERY guilty of it. One of my best examples occurred when I was sitting at a Sesame Street live concert with my son and my friends and their kids (we were a group of moms who got together and had planned the evening out together). At the concert, I noticed my neighbors (husband and wife) cuddling together with their son. I had just had an argument with my husband earlier in the day, and I was sitting there thinking "look at them;they're the perfect couple. My husband would never cuddle with me like that in public . . ." Well, I kept these thoughts to myself and felt for sure that no one had it as tough as I. Well, believe it or not within days, another neighbor family stopped by, and while we were chatting, they informed us that the couple whom I thought were "perfect" were having marital problems. They said she was having an affair, and the couple's marriage was in trouble. So by looking at appearances, I had it all wrong. When this happened, I felt as though the Lord was guiding me to be careful what I perceived especially when I consider my own situation so harshly. By the way, the couple did end up getting divorced:( However, I am still married, and though it's not "perfect" I am glad we continue to weather the storms together:)

It is so easy to get caught up in the hecticness of our lives. But it's also nice to savor even the craziest moment! I love the country western song "You're Gonna Miss This." Sometimes when I get caught up in all the "busyness" of my life as a mom to three kids, a wife, and working, I feel this "truth" that I will someday miss this; that I'm lucky to be here and to have these challenges. I pray that your day is blessed and that you feel the joy that you so beautifully share with others.

Best,
Debi
Sylvia said…
I feel your pain. John also worked yesterday and will be on Saturdays for at least a month. It's got to be worse for the guys though. They miss being at home.
Anonymous said…
Too bad we didn't plan our parties together or we could have had a HUGE bash! Last Saturday was mine. And my husband was pretty tired of listening to me. I was upset that I didn't have a dishwasher, like most of my AMERICAN FRIENDS. I was upset that my husband doesn't get home from work at 6 PM, like most of my AMERICAN FRIENDS. I was upset to not have a big freezer or even a decent size refrigerator, like my AMERICAN FRIENDS. I was upset to not have a nice home, with pantry, mudroom, etc., like most of my AMERICAN FRIENDS. I was simply upset to not have all the cool brand new nifty things for babies, as do all of my AMERICAN FRIENDS.

It was (has been) a long festivity. So I empathize and I am encouraged by your reminder to look at things anew with a fresh perspective, not getting dragged down in the "everyone else" bad mood. Which is what I did ever since we went and bought a brand spankin' new baby swing. :) C'mon - it was the cheapest and most purchasable thing out of all the others. And believe me - it's not easy to find those things around here. My dear husband even drove me around to several stores to find one.

But seriously, at the end of the day, when I say bedtime prayers with my daughter, I remind myself of God's goodness to us and all that He provides us with, above and beyond our needs. And that helps put things in perspective.

Thanks for sharing!

Erin
Michelle said…
Thanks for letting us share in your Pity and then in your Comparison-Free Party :) You did; however, look amazing whilst in the midst of your pity-ing.

It's a good reminder - having Comparison-Free Thoughts. So much of my time can be consumed by those thoughts, instead of those of the Lord.

Have a great Monday night! :)
It sure does...and you know what? Most people would love to have what you have!! :) We moms are truly blessed!
Linda said…
Thanks for your facebook message, my dear! And I'm sorry I missed your Slumber Party! You'll have to do it again because I have lots of embarrassing moments! And, yes, aren't we all many times tricked into believing that this life should be giving us much more glamour than what we seem to have. And those glamourous being (whoever they may be) many times are the most unhappiest, with very messed up lives. And, yes, speaking of concerts, I remember the time Kevin and I had a fight right before a Steve and Annie Chapman concert and remained mad at each other through the whole thing!
James said…
Um, how did you get pictures of the cocktail party I attended on Saturday evening? I'd really like to know... ;-) Thanks for letting us take a peak into your hilarious thoughts - which we all feel at some time or another. You just verablize them so well! I have to confess, I put a Doris Day movie on yesterday afternoon while I was ironing..living vicariously through her "happy 1950's country club world" if only for an hour and a half! And I'm so impressed you are wearing a cute skirt in the middle of the week at home. Hmm..I'm going to have to try that, my husband would pass out! Love ya! Jen
Vickie said…
Well, while everyone else is "doing their thang", you look amazing doing yours!!!!!!!!!!! Dora purse and all. Your husband and children will rise up and call you blessed! Hang in there Girl!

Popular Posts