Living large

Last Saturday shortly before noon, I turned the corner into the kitchen to find this:


1- little girl in her clean dress, bow-clad curly locks, ready to go to an annual Easter Egg hunt.

1 -15 year old boy, back from his time at the creek on the first day of trout season

1 -little trout who had the misfortune of falling hook. line. & sinker for the 15 year old boy's bait.

1- plastic saw from the said little girl's brother, who brought it in from his 'tool kit' to help.



Apparently, it was a good morning for fishing. While myself and the girl's enjoyed a rare breakfast out with their grandma and aunties (see here for a description of that), my husband and the four boys-yes, the twins too-drove to their favorite fishing spot to enjoy a little casting fun.




I am thinking that it is very possible that the America i knew growing up, will not be the same one my children enjoy as adults. I hope I am wrong. But in either case, the value of training them how to live a more self-sustaining lifestyle (fishing, gardening, hanging wash out on the line) is striking me as more neccessary than simply nice.



One other thing;
I wanted to share with you just how 'low' I've gone into the world of mothering infants & toddlers.


When one finds themselves using these as doorstops....


...it's time to GET OUT!!!!!
Thank you for stopping by, my friend!


Comments

The memories that were created for the little one on Saturday, will never be forgotten. Those pictures of his big smile are priceless! What a great dad these guys have, that would venture out on a fishing trip with four sons. He sure must be a brave, caring and involved dad. Love all these pictures. I couldn't help but wonder what was going through your oldest daughter's mind as she was looking at that messy fish scene before her. She will be toughened better than you were, by her brothers.
What a sweet post...about your sweet...sweet family!

You truly are an amazing mom...and it's great to see your children enjoying great adventures...that at times I fear are slipping away.

There's nothing like catchin' a fish or two from the stream. Oh...brings back some great memories.
oh my word, i would have freaked if i saw all those blood and guts on my dinnertable!!!!! you are far more brave then i am.
the picture of your 3 boys is PRICELESS!!
i am looking forward to our next time of togetherness as a family.....or just you and i as friends. I MISS YOU VERY MUCH.
xoxoxoxoxox
p.s. tell Curt I had a dream last night that i couldn't find our "backpacks" and the kids had to walk barefoot down the road.

Popular Posts