The Mom I Am

I know, I know!!!!


Television should not be used as a prop or another parental figure.


I can still hear myself talking so articulately and convincingly while pregnant with Christopher.


"We are considering getting rid of our televisions before our baby comes. If we don't, I know I will be very strict with TV watching times...maybe a DVD as a special treat now and then..."


And then I would sit back, satisfied that I would, indeed, be a very wise, educational-minded and creative mother.


That was then.


This is now. And I've got to be honest. There are times, yea even MULTIPLE times during a day, when only George (a curious little monkey), Elmo (a red furry thing with an unusually high voice) or Jay Jay (a jet plane 'boy' who likes adventures and offers a moral in every story) can help me finish dinner or keep my sanity on a rainy day (such as today). You can throw all the articles you want at me, casting guilt on my actions when 5:30 rolls around and Curt only finished up at a client's and has an hour home yet or when my 23 month year old (heading straight for the big "2") is just plain miserable...but I'll probably still push 'play' when the occassion calls for it. To save a little face, I will say that my children have PLENTY of non-TV time, where they are learning to play, share (keep in mind I said LEARNING) and be creative. I try to encourage imagination and fun. I want to be a good mom, but I am admittedly not the mom I spoke of before having children. And you know what? I'm ok with that. :) (I also did not know that God would give us 3 under age 2.2 either!!!)



It has been so much FUN to be outside more and more as the weather grows sunnier and the days longer. Here are a few pictures of a party that just 'happened' on our front porch. As you can see, girls are the dominate gender on our street. I found some old lollipops from the candy cupboard and thus, we threw a spontaneous 'lollipop party' on our little porch. I am learning children do not need space even nearly as much as love and attention...and thank goodness, because our front porch is small!

Here is a picture that I took and FINALLY, it seems that everyone was able to look towards the camera and smile! You don't need to know to what lengths my normally quieter and laid back husband went to assist me in this endevor. But it worked and at least we got one! The babies absolutely ADORE their older brother, there is no doubt! If I needed a human example of Jesus to teach them, it would be Rick at this point. They think he's perfect and he showers them with love and affection. I will not, however, put that undue pressure on Rick. :) I can just imagine Christopher telling his teacher someday that he shares a room with Jesus! In any case, I thank Jesus for Rick...he is a tremendous part of our family. I don't think he even realizes his own importance.

Comments

ajwatson722 said…
I LOVE that picture! I saw the dress Annie has on at the store, and I really wanted to buy it for her!:) She looks precious in it. They are all so sweet. You are an amazing mom to them! love you!
Deva said…
Soooo precious!!!! Rick is growing so big and he is so handsome!!! Love, Deva
Anonymous said…
Great picture - I am very impressed how beaming everyone is at the SAME time. :-) I am really curious what Curt was doing in the background. Hee hee. Your family is adorable. I used to also speak of no TV, and an occasional Winnie The Pooh DVD as a treat...then as I've spent time and babysat friends' children I've changed my mind dramatically on my little TV policy. Heh heh. I'm right there with you babe. Occupado so I can eat some lunch, stare at a wall, read a cooking magazine - whatever is needed in my life at that moment. :-) Love you, Jen

Popular Posts