A Funny Little Petting Zoo


This morning I felt inspired to take a 'field trip' of sorts, as it was such a beautiful morning and I felt the children deserved to do something more 'educational' with their day than to find ways to escape from their cribs or see who can crawl the fastest around the dining room table...again.


And so I loaded up my small troop and we headed to the biggest 'zoo' on the west side of Route 23, Hayloft Candle Barn's Petting Zoo. My memories from childhood were, as should have been expected (but were not), glorified. I realized this as soon as I pulled into the parking space and initially noted that there seemed to be an overwhelming number of hyperventilating miniature goats. And not a whole lot else.

My dear mom joined us, which made the adventure all the more exciting for the kiddos (especially Christopher). I allowed him to pass on the stroller ride and walk the boards with his own two feet, and I gave Annie the 'front row' seat of the double trouble stroller. Both were quite content with this arrangement.


I am not sure how a Candle Barn (a barn converted into a gift shop with sells every conceivable scent & size pillar candle known to man, made on site) decided to branch out by adding a petting zoo, but it could explain the ecclectic and limited variety of animals present. It occured to me as I was chasing Christopher down the mini-covered bridge, which was by far his favorite attraction there-that the animals he wasn't the least bit interested in (pretty much all of them), were ones that I had failed to teach him, or were unlikely to be found in any of his "Baby's First Animal" books sitting on the shelf at home. Llamas? What on earth does a Llama sound like? I don't know, and that is why he's never heard the word Llama in the lineup of animals in Old McDonald's melodious farm. Could you tell me, prey tell, the last time you heard (or heard of, for that matter) a Lady Amhearst Pheasant's chirp? It's been 'never' for me. What about a buffulo?(or at least that's what I heard someone call him. He looked rather 'cattle-ish' to me). These are the types of animals they had. There were no cows, horses, sheep...the typical farm animals who my children are familiar with. Just the odd little assortments listed above and, as I said miniature goats. LOTS of them. Poor things, they must feel like 'filler' for the empty cages that dot the place.


And yet...I will go back. Because there is something endearing about the place..it is part of my childhood and it is special just because it is. The very best part of the entire morning, was the homemade ice cream which, along with the wax, is made and sold on the premise. Hopefully they keep the mixing bowls seperate, for if not, there 'lunch' could make for very interesting diapers in the near future. (at least they might smell like cinnamon-spice or lily of the valley...)


I did want to quickly pay honor to the Lady Amhearst, whom we had the pleasure of meeting this morning. While I'm sure she could have laid around, watching the uncivilized, nimwit goats in the pens surrounding hers act like they had never seen the pellets that the toddler's mommy's had bought for their little one's to feed them, she did not. Rather, she awoke, put on her most regal and coloful frock and then took the time to create an elegant choiff. Her hair shimmered in the sunlight glistening through a crack in her tin roof. I suspect she colors her hair, but we ladies know better than to ask.

That's all for now, folks! I hope you have a relaxing evening...perhaps I can suggest a quaint little spot for homemade ice cream after dinner???

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hee hee - this is sooo funny. I'm glad Lady Amherst put forth her best foot, er, claw? Anyway - I will pray that the little miniature hyperventilating goats do not create a traumatic dream or memory for your children tonight. :-)And what sound do Llamas make?? Glad you had a fun time and are creating special memories for your kiddies. And now I am starting to wonder if those wax & ice cream bowls do get mixed up... I think I remember having a double scoop of Bayberry Balsam...does that sound right?
Deva said…
I love Annie's BIG smile!!!
Love, Deva
Have you looked at by blog yet?j
Deva said…
I didn't mean to leave a j hanging!

Popular Posts