The Popular Sanguine


We were sitting in the lower patio, waiting for the remainder of our neighbor's family to join us for dinner. For whatever reason, the dad and daughter were running behind. And so we sat and chatted over lemonade, enjoying the peaceful environment complete with the sound of locust buzzing and birds singing their evening hymns.


Suddenly, we are jarred from the peace by the sound of a girlish little voice from behind us. Descending the outdoor stairs which lead to the patio, was their 5 year old daughter. Her arms were up in the air and her little fingers appeared to be dancing in mid air as she loudly proclaimed "I'mmmmm Heerrreee!!!!" in several soprano octaves. Behold! She was here! Let us all take note at this precious presence that has descended upon us...and now let the FUN begin!


I often use this story when speaking on the personalities-specifically the "Popular" Sanguine one-as it is such a PURE and exact portrait of the heart of the Sanguine personality. I will be sharing this weekend at a Mother-Daughter breakfast and while I'm 'freshening up' my notes, I thought I would share them with you, should you be searching for a little reading in your down time.


God has made us EACH so uniquely, and the circumstances of our lives make it impossible to put labels on each other, or to put another person in a box (although it can be easy to do so!). The 4 basic personality types were originally spelled out by Hypocrotes, but I believe it is God who creatively bestowed each of us with a smattering-usually a mixture of two-of these personality types. You can take the study of personality into very deep places, where life on this broken earth can really warp a person and their understanding of who God truly made them to be. Yet, when discovered, it is empowering to think God gave you the personality He did specifically to help you navigate through the circumstances & relationships in your life. Ask Him to shine up your strengths and help you minimize those weaknesses you'd rather not confront. And HE WILL!!


Today I'm writing out just a few basics about the most easily recognizable personality type. I put an adjective in front of the original Greek word in order to make it easier to associate and remember. This personality, as I wrote above, is the POPULAR SANGUINE. I happen to contain a large percentage of this personality type myself, and so I know from whence I write!


The basic desire of the Popular Sanguine is...to have FUN!


This woman (or man, but for the sake of my readers who are female, I'll stick with 'woman') is the one you HEAR long before she actually walks in a room. When her body catches up with her voice, her presence is one that cannot be denied. She LOVES to make an entrance and is never one to shy away from attention. She is prone to attract an audience, and should she feel the teensiest bit threatened that she is losing their attention, she will physically 'hold on' to them (especially if it is a one-on-one conversation). This dear little lady is extremely prone to exaggeration (especially if the story she is recalling doesn't seem to captivate and delight her audience enough to her liking), she has a deep need for approval (even if it's for merely existing!) and her hands are usually moving when she's talking (to emphasize the words!)-just like the little neighborhood gal did when announcing her presence at our party. We want to be noticed, and liked--better yet, loved and adored!

The down side of this personality includes a tendancy towards forgetfulness (we'll easily volunteer for things, but make sure you keep on us, as we're prone to forget deadlines and details!!) and a bent towards exaggeration and compulsive talking. We aren't great at follow through and we often interrupt and answer for others (as if they weren't able to do so for themselves!). And we'll start crafts, writing (such as this blog series on the personalities which I'll probably never finish) with a bang and the finishing--if it ever happens, drags on for eternity.

Again, I am just touching the tip of an iceburg full of characteristics YOU might relate to yourself, or can see in a good friend or relation. For more insight, I'd suggest reading "Personality Plus" by Florence Littauer. She and her daughter are two terrific authors who are well-versed in this area. You will laugh & relate as you read, I assure you!

But for now, the babies are asleep and I am feeling like I need to lay down for just a minute and rest along with them. Baby no. 3 is kicking away these days--even more then I remember with Christopher or Annie. As the two babies get older, the more I understand why people would assume things are 'busy' for me. The first few months after Annie was born, I would think "Wow! This isn't hard! I can do this!". Well, of course I could! She would lay in one spot, drink once in a while, but other than that, was easy-maintenance. Now...well, it's a little different! But I can honestly say I still love it and there is no place else and no one else whom I'd rather spend my days with.

If you do not see any other personality posts...I'll simply blame it on being Sanguine. :)

Comments

Popular Posts