20%

I probably should not admit this publicly.

But since there is nary a priest nearby, and since no adverse repercussion occurred because of it, I will disclose the deed of desperation I did this past week. {Oh, and dear, if you're reading this, forgive me for unintentionally omitting this from the 'how was your day' part of our conversation Wednesday evening.}

It was Wednesday. I call this particular day of the week my  'Glory Day' due to the glorious fact that my dear mother takes on  her grandmothering role in a big way by taking my four, three and two year old for the day. This leaves me with 'only' two. Trust me, it makes a noticeable and terribly nice difference.

While it is still not easy-breezy to tote twins along whilst running errands, it sure beats stuffing five in a cart (of which I have never been stupid enough to try. yet.). Being the dutiful, efficient mama-machine I am, the boys belly's were filled, their teething mouths swallowed the appropriate level of Infant Ibuprofen (ok. maybe i topped them off with a little extra for good measure) and their warm pantsuits were completed with matching socks (a rarity indeed!). I strapped them snugly in their car seats, dropped a bottle of diluted apple juice in their chubby little hands and off we went in my sporty, dented white mom-mobile.

The two winter snow suits I bought off JCpenny.com were breathtakingly easy to return at the mall. I had to do the nasty chore of making a return after realizing I had already been given 2 winter coats that would fit the boys, and after the box and receipt that had accompanied the new coat's delivery had helped fuel the bon fire in the back yard Saturday. The Customer Service Rep was efficient  and we were in and out.
Bing, bam, boom.
Just like I like it.



Next stop was the new Christmas Tree Shoppe, a clear and present danger to household budgets everywhere. Unbeknownst to me, it was their "Grand Opening" celebration, thus already small-aisled store was Packed (yes, that's with a capital "P"). I originally attempted to make-do with my double wide stroller dually serving as my cart. Alas, after nearly having the  large collage frame I picked up for my sister's Bridal shower slip out of my hand (twice), and the smallish Christmas tree that was precariously perched on the canvas awnings above my boy's heads threatening to lodge their plastic needles in their nostrils, I struggled back to the front of the store to retrieve a cart.

Now pushing the double wide stroller in front of me and pulling a cart from behind, with great finesse (yea right) and the patience of Job, I navigated the throngs of the general public who came to check this new place out.

2 lamps, 1 Christmas Tree, 1 Collage Frame wall hanging, 3 Chocolate Advent Calendars, 1 glass cylinder, 1 recipe book and 2 rattle play phones (rewards) later I forged my way to the front of the store (all the while being stopped for various people to inquire as to whether or not my identically dressed, identically sized boys were or were not twins and informing me as if for the first time, that I 'have my hands full').

As I near the front of the store, I realize the line of carts that snaked around the corner of the front aisle and almost halfway to the back of the store was, to my great disdain, the check out line. One, yay just ONE measly little line was 'open'. The guy in bright yellow fleece behind me exclaimed "Why would they only have ONE line open on the morning the coupon comes in the paper?". 

Coupon??? What coupon?? 
 My despair only deepens as I realize not only am I stuck (I can't just abandon my cart because there's no room to do so subtly AND because my sister's shower is the next night AND because I went to all this trouble already. It would be too much to just give up), but I am now the lone coupon-less lady in a crowd full of coupon-carrying citizens. My eye spies the coupon of the lady ahead of me, and I see the '20% Off Your Entire Purchase' font flying off the page.

20%??? Off EVERYthing???

That is no small savings!

I deep sigh at the predicament that was before me. Due to their placement at 'the end of the chain of command' in our family, the twins are gratefully exhibiting their patient dispositions, although I know I'm living on borrowed time. The lady behind me and I had started chatting about this and that, and how we would have done things differently on the morning of such a "Grand" event. We decided to make the best of it, stop whining and thus Lauren and I became friends. She appeared to be around my mom's age (which is VERY young), wearing a pretty salmon colored cardigan, with a coordinating scarf and pretty bead earrings. She enjoyed talking with the boys, exclaiming at their contentedness.

The apron-clad store manager, who kept coming to apologize for the wait and assure us she had 2 new cashier's coming on in '5 minutes' (all through our 30 minute wait), informed me (upon my request) that indeed, there were no fliers/coupons within the store, but that next door, at Bed Bath and Beyond, there was a whole stack of them. She looked at me somewhat sympathetically and asked, "Don't you have anyone with you that could run over and retrieve one for you?"

"No", I stated, "And of all days! I left Julio De Garcia, my pool boy/butler/manny/coupon retriever at home! Gosh, golly, darn!"

The 20% figure grew as I let it stew in my mind while waiting, waiting, waiting. That extra 20% would justify the fake Christmas tree we didn't really need, but would look so cute on the shelf above the TV. I would keep it up all winter long, adding a cozy, warm touch to our winter indoor landscape. 20% would take off the 'unneccessary' element to it's purchase.

I bit my bottom lip as desperation overtook my being, and I felt myself suddenly turning to my salmon cardigan-clad fellow line partner behind me and this is what came out:

"Excuse me. I know this may seem a bit odd, and perhaps you'll think less of me, but would you mind staying with my boys while I run next door for a coupon?"

{Did I mention that it was for 20% off the ENTIRE purchase??}

And just like that, I left my precious twin boys with a perfect stranger.
 In the next 1.5 minute I proceeded to nearly knock down 5 slowly moving old ladies whilst tearing down the sidewalk, in through the electric doors of Bed Bath and Beyond, past the counter where the stack of the desired objects lay, slipped a handful into my grasp, gave an apologetic 'hello' to the BB&B store manager who was guarding the exit with a leery look and made my way back into The Christmas Shoppe masses to where the new guardian of my two children was standing {at the exact spot i left her} in line.

In my defense:


a}. If she had wanted to kidnap the boys, I couldn't have blamed her, but if you would have seen the way the store was packed to the gills, you would have known that navigating the double stroller to the exit and out to the parking lot in the time it took me to run next door, was nigh to impossible. Plus, she was wearing classy brown heeled boots, not running shoes. She could not have gone far.


b}. When is the last time you saw a mug shot of a woman with coordinated cardigan, scarf and bead earrings....along with a stylish short haircut and perfectly applied makeup?? Have you ever heard of 'The Cardigan Caper' on America's Most Wanted?
I rest my case.

Desperate? Perhaps.
Fool-Hardy? Maybe.
81.00 bill reduced to 66.00? Worth the minuscule risk.


I leave you with this portion of scripture to mediate on as you digest this post.


Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.
-Luke 6:37

;)

Happy Weekend to you, my friend.
Thank you so much for taking time to drop by.







Comments

Rachel said…
i wouldn't believe this...
if i hadn't seen it with my own two eyes!!! ;O)
made my day, that 'mother of the year award' move you pulled off!!
happy weekend to you!
Kristen said…
LOVE IT!! glad you shared for the whole world to read!! no judgement here, my friend!
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! THAT. WAS. HILARIOUS & AWESOME ALL IN ONE!! And the fact that you used the word "whilst" in the MOST PERFECT WAY POSSIBLE just had me roaring!! (actually, smothering my laugh as it's nap time around here)!!! I judge not, that's FOR SURE!!!

p.s. can't wait to see all the goodies you got! chocolate advent calender? um, coolest Mom award!!!
Anonymous said…
Jeane,

First off, thank you for your special email message. I will try to take care of your request in the next day or two:) You are so thoughtful, and your message meant so much to me:)

Your beautifully written post has me chuckling. I can totally relate to the narrative that was running through your mind in terms of the 20% coupon! I am sure that I would have done the same or worse! You were packed in like sardines in that store. I am so glad that it all worked out. I can't tell you how many times I have become "crazed" about a coupon whether we have to turn the car around and go get it, or I rant about how stressful my life is when I forget the coupons! We're all just doing our part to stimulate the economy--one coupon at a time:)

Hugs,
Debi in MN
Sally Krueger said…
just laughing....catching my breath and laughing some more! priceless. It so so very good that you have this blog...it will make the most fabulous record for your kids of the parts of their upbringing they had NO idea about!!!
Lauren said…
I've been following your blog for a while, and I have to say that this post (and the one about hating playdates!) had me ROLLING! Great story. Thanks for posting :) And btw, I totally would have done exactly the same thing in your shoes--
Jana said…
What I would like to know is where do you hide your pool boy, and why didn't you bring him with you? Wait a minute, you don't even have a pool.
Doris said…
I'm a first time reader of your blog. Love it!

First of all let me tell you that I also have twins. Mine are girls and they are now 21. I remember those days of shopping with 2 babies!

I also shopped at the Christmas Tree Shoppes in Lancaster, PA on Thursday ...in the rain and cold. Love that store and am so happy to have one not too far away. I did not have that coupon....I didn't remember there was one in the ad. Could I have found one at the Bed and Bath next door?? I had my 21 year old daughter with me, it would have been possible to go get it...oh well. I just dug it out of the trash can, will use it next time. (Good till end of month)

I will check back again. Have a great week-end!
Terri said…
hahahahahahahaha!!!!!! If you could see me sitting across from Emma in Panera right now, you would see me smiling for the entire time I read this, inserting a chuckle here and there...and then breaking out in full open mouth laughter!!!!! You made my day...the WHOLE day!!!!
Julie said…
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA
i'm laughing OUT LOUD!
you got me. on all accounts on this one!
twins. shopping. coupons. "bargains".

REAL LIFE HUMOR, we can all relate to, is definitely the funniest kind of humor!

it reminds me, of the story my twins NEVER let me forget. to this day. my foolishness. locking them in the car, with our family dog, and jars of buttons for entertainment....while i run into a gift shop. :O

no judging here, my friend! :)
desperate times call for desperate measures! :O
Anonymous said…
Again you gave me my medicine for the day-laughter!!! Thanks
Terri said…
Hope you don't mind...couldn't resist!
http://consumemefromtheinsideout.blogspot.com/2010/11/please-forgive-me.html
Jeane` said…
Oh, friends...how my heart is glad in the spirit of non-judgement which pervades each and every comment! Your gracious feedback makes me want to invite you all over to sit in the glow of my fake little Christmas tree and serve you dark chocolate and wine or whatever makes your heart happy!I would listen to any and all confessions you have to make regarding possible sub-par parenting and assure you that you're still in running for mother-of-the-year!!!

Warmly,
J.

PS. Jan, to answer your question, Julio De Garcia, my "pool boy", is rarely seen by outsiders. He moves with dexterity and speed, his muscles rippling with every move. He is so quick with his assistance around the hearth and home (and baby pool) that it's hard to spy him. I hope that sufficiently answers your question. He is, by the way, available for rent. The only requirement is an active imagination.
Anonymous said…
Oh Jeane, thanks for the laugh! What a fabulous, witty, honest writer you are. No judgment here, either (more like, "I would have absolutely done the same thing!") A little Mellinger in that blood perhaps?
Love you!
Sarah
Debbie said…
Ok; I won't say I 'live' for your posts, but I will say that when I pull up my dashboard and see that you've left a post I certainly run grab my coffee and sit back for a good time.
You NEVER disappoint. I can't blame you for those savings, and it did seem to be a good bet that she'd help you. Thank God for those who help!
Leanne O said…
judge you girl??!!!! no way, I'm so cheering you on :) I will stick my neck out for the judgers to munch on and say I've done similar escapades of my own. It's what having 5 little ones does to us. It makes us braver than the general public... and more desperate too. :)

And, "are they twins? ... you sure have your hands full!" I laughed out loud. My answer always, "you don't know the half of it, these are not my only kids!"

How about, "are they all yours?" Yesterday I sweetly answered, "well, I sure wouldn't go around the neighborhood colletcting kids to take shopping"

I always enjoy your stories, thanks so much for sharing. I find in you a kindred spirt.

Ps. Your pool boy just stopped by and is whipping through the dishes, vaccumming and floor washing. He is QUITE the man! ;)
Shelly said…
LOVE it! Oh the joy of shopping with multiple young ones . . . AND adding the complication of coupons to it all too~because we NEED those bargains. You had me laughing too and feeling more like a 'normal' mom because of your confessions . . . Thanks!
Fan said…
I love it, Jeane', I love it! Call me naive and out of touch, but I just don't think the world is as full of awful, kidnapping type people as we are often led to believe. What an honor it must have been for your "new-friend-in-the-checkout-line" to be asked to do something helpful for another woman. This is the stuff of life! And it's too bad that most of us miss it because we are afraid of all the other human beings around us.
The Pook said…
a little late in catching up with some of your posts, but this brought tears to my eyes! You're a woman after my own heart. Would have loved to be a little mouse in the corner of the store :)

Popular Posts