Granola, Gifting and Giving Away

I am taking a major leap of faith today, as I share my little homemade Christmas gifts for our neighbors. The leap of faith does not actually possess real faith, for real faith would share this  even I could hear all those "bless her dear little heart" utterances under the reader's breath as they take in my embarrassingly simple presentation.
Please, do not laugh too loud...I might hear you, and it will be for certain then, that next year I will NOT share with you the southern bell crochet toilet paper covers that I will have surely made for my close friends and family!


Today my mom generously watched three of my children, leaving me with just the twins.
They have a reputation for being intolerant errand-runners, so I stay at home. Today, the kitchen was my kingdom. I turned on Pandora for a little *old fashioned Christmas music and made the follow humble Christmas gifts for our neighbors. 

*I typed in "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" by Johnny Cash and cozy Christmas music--the real kind-- kept pouring into my kitchen, mixing so well with the smells of granola. I would pay for Pandora, I think. It is a far better alternative to hearing Mariah Carey belt "All I Want For Christmas Is You" every hour courtesy of our local soft rock radio station. I liked that song when I was 14. But that was 20 years ago.

***
Recently, I had bought several vintage jars for .50 each at a local Re-Uzit store. I brought them home, proudly displayed them on the counter and announced to my beloved what I intended to do with them. He looked at me in such a way that caused me to wonder if I was in the early stages of dementia and patronizingly gently remarked, "I see. That's interesting. You must reeeeally like old jars."

I pressed on, even though the light from the rare "Craft Astroid" passing overhead had dimmed at the sound of my beloved's feedback. My mother, otherwise known as "Carla Crafty", had stopped by and exclaimed over my ingenuity. Nothing like biased praise to fuel even the simplest of ideas, I say!



Today I made two huge batches of the best granola that has ever passed by these lips. It is a recipe my dear friend and neighbor gave to me, along with a sample of it's gloriousness. She suggested one could add nuts and/or craisins or whatever whim came over the baker. 
It is a recipe worth sharing.



Rice Krispy Granola

12 cups oats: rolled/quick combo
4 cups Rice Krispies
3/4 cup toasted wheat germ
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup coconut
1 cup honey
1 1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tsp. maple flavoring
2/3 cup butter, melted

Combine dry ingredients. Mix together remaining ingredients. Stir. 
Bake at 300 for 40-50 minutes, stirring several times. Let cool completely and store in air-tight container.



I then whipped out my labels store-bought labels and favorite red and white polka dot ribbon for this rare "Craft Astroid" moment, and put it all together.
Only a three-step craft (it is the most steps this Sanguine can handle without losing interest), and I was most happiest accessorizing the vintage jars with only ribbon and a label.




For however simple my crafting/baking abilities might be, I am resourceful.
The same day my amazon.com order arrives, my boys have a new toy. The box.
This helped occupy them for a good 20 minutes while I mingled with Honey and Oats.



If you care to, share with me (and other readers) a comment with either
a.) a favorite homemade Christmas gift  you have given or received
OR
b.) a link to an EASY hand/home made Christmas gift idea you have come across (or have shared on your blog!)

and on Friday, December 9th, I will randomly select one name to be sent Rice Krispy Granola in vintage "packaging", straight from the Coffee Cottage kitchen.


Comments

Popular Posts