I can spell!

I am the  proud mother of an advanced five year old.
(The "Gifted Child on Board!" bumper sticker is at the printer as I type).

I recently had the sheer delight of taking a child old enough to answer questions for himself to a well-check visit at the Pediatrician. (You might recall my musings on the last such visit with my four year old daughter.)

On Friday, my mothering skills were once again on brilliant and glorious display during the question and answer portion of the examination. The Pediatrician asked (me) if my son can identify letters and numbers to which he proudly proclaimed that "I can spell!"


"Really? That's impressive! You know how to spell words?" replied Doctor Ashley.

"Yes", replies the child who I am expecting, with stifled pride, to spell out his rather long full name. It's one of the few words he knows how to spell, but he knows it well.


"I can spell this word (takes a deep breath and proceeds to carefully "spell" out each letter very carefully):

D....V....D"




Children...the gifts that keep on giving.
(and keep ones pride from looming too large).


Comments

Popular Posts