Life's Little Realities

I often question my involvement in the world of blogging.
Never did I want to become a "mommy blogger" (cue the song "More than a Momma" by the BeeGee's, their original track), casting my two-cents into a fountain already brimming-to-overflowing with proverbial pennies thrown in for consideration. In perusing the highways and byways of Blogdom, there is a place for every imaginable style and preference of motherhood (and other 'hoods'): The Homeschoolers, the Public Schoolers...The Au Natural Eaters who graze on only the green and those who are happy to pile their plates with Hamburger Helper...Those who swear by the milk of their breast and those who can prepare a bottle of Formula with Andretti speed. While I do believe there are means that are better than others in raising respectful, responsible and loving children, I think those 'means' have more to do with approaches and attitudes of the heart  than  subscription to a particular regiment.

I have never been quite sure where I fit in amongst the stances of these camps and neither do I feel it necessary to attach labels to this blog (myself) even if I found myself securely encamped within the folds of a particular ideology. There are times, however, that I feel compelled to document the little realities of life made apparent to me in this season of my life. Feel free to stay and read a few these revealed realities that this imperfect woman is finding out. Maybe it's the same stuff you learned a long way back (I'm a slow learner!).


Avoid contact with contentedly playing children.*


Every so often, the stars and planets align themselves, causing normally functioning (ie: fighting-prone) siblings to play harmoniously amongst themselves, creating a rare peace and quiet that settles down upon a normally boisterous atmosphere in the home. The mother suddenly notices this rare phenomenon and her instinct is to move into whatever room said utopia is taking place and congratulate all of it's participants for "playing so nicely together". After all, we are told that positive reinforcement will produce positive results. Not in this case, my friend. This is where the loud "WAMP!! WAMP!!" sirens should go off in the well-meaning woman's head. ANY TIME A CHILD OR CHILDREN DETECT THAT THE MOTHER MIGHT NOTICE THEY CAN BE FINE WITHOUT HER SERVICES, THE SPELL WILL BE BROKEN. Not MIGHT. WILL.

In such a scenario, and *baring any protruding bones, blood baths or other looming dangers, STAY INVISIBLE. Do NOT make eye contact. Do not speak.Stifle your sneeze. Pretend that you do not notice them, and you might get five more minutes out of the oh-so-fleeting HarmonyLand that has set up kingdom in your home. When the peace is inevitably shattered, and as you are picking up the hurricane (see above picture) that harmony left...recall the little bit of Heaven you were just given, and know that it was worth it. For them, and for you.
Praise them only after they broke the spell themselves.
(The young girl playing PlayDough had previously been squirted with water that her younger sister had doused her with and the mother, having learned her lesson, did not interrupt that happy play to bring in a dry shirt. That's how desperate this mother is to keep the peace. Thus, the computer-generated square coverup).

Savor the Moment


For whatever reason, everyone but my five year old and one of the two-year-old twins slept in a little later this morning ("sleep in" meaning "slept until 6:50am"). The eldest was curled up in his fleece blanket, eating cinnamon toast and being educated on fire safety (thank you, Fireman Sam). My sweet little twin, the one who loves to cuddle, found his way to my lap and rested his head on my chest. I had my warm(ish) cup of coffee with this little man's arms wrapped around me and I soaked up every second of it.

To have moments where my entire attention can be directed to one child alone is not an every-morning experience. Usually they are all up and at 'em at the same time, leaving me no option but a mass hug-and-kiss assembly line. Instead of lamenting that the rare shouldn't be so rare, I am learning to savor,and be grateful for the moments I am given. God always provides...not just money for the bills, but special moments with little souls who need it.


The Life of a Fix-It Man's Wife (and children)


There are times when, in the eternal course of fixing up one's old home, that the term "Family Dinner" might mean situating high chairs and other seating to face the window outside of which their father is working (painting, in our case). It would behoove the woman to show appreciation for her man's hard work, even though she feels her load is significantly heavier than that of a gallon of paint. Nothing in life is or ever will be, perfectly equal. Learning to graciously accept that which is your portion is key to knowing peace, be it in the home or in the heart.

*In another small print disclaimer, the female child pictured above had an accident of the potty-training sort, and since her mother was trying to get dinner out on the table, went to her nearest source of clean clothes, the dryer. There where only panties, no pants were to be found. A wise and prudent woman will leave at least one load of laundry in the dryer until it can be folded (this may or may not mean days at a time), to make a convenient emergency pantie pit-stop. Yet another complimentary Suzy Homemaker Tip for your consideration.


 Stand By Your Nuts


If you're lucky enough to have nuts in your possession, be sure to stand by them while they're toasting. If left ignored, they might catch ablaze, leaving you in a smokey daze and your aspirations (for a delicious coffee cake) ruined.

No one wants to see nuts on fire, but sometimes a visual can help cement the reminder.
And on this point, I find no reminder can be too startling.

*Last small print aside: I found myself praising and "not-praising" in nearly the same breath that fateful night. Praising God that my husband was not home at the time of the pillar-of-flame incident (I am struggling not to cross the line here with a comment about his unscathed n--never mind) and thinking nasty thoughts about the smoke alarm outside the slumbering children's rooms that was only doing it's job.


***

Forgive me. I should have warned you how profound and life changing these "little life realities" would be. It might be too much to absorb in one setting, so I humbly suggest rereading one tip per day for the rest of the week, meditating over it's deep rooted truth.
In fact, I'm mulling over writing a devotional for women who aren't in any particular parenting 'camp'  and need a place to feel normal.

;)  

Or maybe not.

Thank you for dropping by the Cottage, 
where the coffee is always lukewarm 
(and in the microwave being reheated)!



Comments

Popular Posts