The Little I Know.

Hello, my kind blog cottage friend who is so gracious to drop by....


I have said it before, but let me say it again: I do realize it's not all about me or my little lot in life. Blogging sometimes just feels so egocentric, yet I can only write from my experiences.

I am so early into motherhood, I have very little to offer in expertise...yet I do enjoy recording the vast array of emotions and experiences that bubble out of this season of life, as someday my children may want to read how they slowly sucked the life out of me. (JUST KIDDING. kinda).


What I do not want to come across as is a young mom who, just because she's been given a few children, thinks she knows it all. Youthful arrogance is so annoying, even when clothed in clever writing. If you want advice, I say come with me to the older woman who is seasoned in life, and has let love win, not bitterness. Let's learn at her feet, because mine are too busy trying to keep up and keep going.


As for the little I DO know, here it is for today:



CHANGE CHARGES IN.


Life in Baby & ToddlerLand is never at a plateau. Just as the structure of life comes together, Change knocks at the door and helps herself in.

For example, my bossy little firstborn girl began summoning me by my first name this morning.
It was not a demure little wade into risky 'given name' territory, it was a brazen leap taken because I did not respond to 'mama' fast enough for her liking. In the same week, she has also taken up the charming little habit of speaking in the third person ("Dee Dee -her nickname- wants a snack!"). Lovely.



THREE IN ONE.


You might read my blog and think "I can't imagine, I only have one!" (or maybe not).

Let me assure you, I KNOW that 1 child can have the equivalent will, energy and necessary patience of 3 children. I often see the mothers who have one, have their work cut out for them far more than most who have more, so strong is the will of their child. For some reason unbeknownst to me (as I ceased praying for patience long before this child was born), God saw fit to give me one of these "3-in-1 Specials" smack dab in the middle of our five. She is a gem, and I love her to pieces, but some moments she utterly exasperates me. "Dear God HELP!!" is often a plea that emits itself from my heart!



"JESUS SAID" and other unique ploys.



It is getting interesting with a 4 year old. He is ever growing in charm and cleverness, making it sometimes difficult not to smile and/or know how to out-wit his bright little brain (mine was never what one would call 'bright'...more of a 'low, steady glow').


The past two weeks, his hearing has supposedly taken a turn for the worse. A afternoons ago, I informed him (for the 80th time) that he HAD to take a rest on his bed. I told him that if I climbed the stairs one more time to find him out of bed, there would be consequences...to which he looked up at me with complete sincerity and 'innocence' and said "What's that, mom? I can't hear you." Hmmm....


Additionally, Jesus has apparently been speaking directly to this child, giving him permission to go outside, stay awake when he should be sleeping and allow him to refuse eating any more of the sweet potatoes on his dinner plate. "But mom, Jesus told me I could!!!".


How does a mom argue with Jesus????


"Jesus does not have the last word, son! I DO!!!" (ah, yea. right).






TASTY CAKES ARE NOT GOOD FOR YOU.


But sometimes the things we say "I would never..." to are meant to be broken (be it DVDs in the car or Tasty Cakes after dinner-see the two pictures of anticipation below.)



Do I have any special spiritual note to end this post with?
No.
Nothing.
Nada.
{Except that, on a hopeful note, God does answer when I send up that "HELP!" smoke signal. It might be a chance to lock myself in the bathroom for two minutes, or a happy break in the midst of play riddled with fighting...be it brief, it is there. And I am thankful.}.
And I am thankful for you, the reader who cares enough to read, and maybe relate in some way.
Gotta dash!
J.

Comments

clarira said…
Oh, Jeane'! I loved this! Yes, there are some things that I love to learn at the feet of those beautiful, still-soft older women who are decades ahead of me. They have priceless gems of wisdom. But there is also something ever so encouraging about other women who are right there at the same stage of life - namely, wife-ing and mothering, for me. Not that any of us think we have it all together, but where we can (literally or figuratively) wrap our arms around each other and give tight hugs with tears, saying, "YES! I am right there with you! I know what it's like [even though our own situations vary]." And you are one such woman.

As always, I read your writings and come away a better person for it! Love!
Linda said…
a great blog, Jeane'! And did you answer your son with, "and when Jesus tells me the same thing, I'll let you do it." ha,ha Please don't ever worry about your blog being egocentric! We all WANT to hear what's happening in your life and enjoy your great way of sharing it! Love you!
My first thought...you are so skinny after having five babies...but then again...you probably never stop during the day. Anyways you look terrific! I love what your little boy said as he tells you "Jesus told me so"...LOL...toooooo funny! Love 'em...enjoy every moment...in a flash they are in high shcool!
Sylvia said…
"How does a mom argue with Jesus????"

Lol!
Marilou said…
I usually asked them at that point " if they'd like to meet Jesus tonite??" ok, ok, no calls to DYFS please, it was simply a little joke, and there were times they were quite close to an early meeting! But, alas, they have grown up and I'm still out out of jail and blessed be the name of the Lord!! ;) love you , nazi!!
Jan Kennedy said…
But TastyKakes are so delicious! I heard there's a new peach-filled Krimpet. And the special edition lemon Krimpets are yummy.

Popular Posts