Bed Time Story

It seems as though my four year old and I have started a nightly ritual without even trying to make it happen {I personally find those kind of rituals the most meaningful}. A chapter a night from the best written Children's Bible I have ever encountered. Tonight, about 30 minutes after our little reading time, I found him as I used to be found by my mom many times in my childhood:

Although he can't read, the illustrations are fun and I was curious what story he landed on. So I brought it downstairs to read myself.

If you could use a little calming bed time story, I would like to share what I read of his open page with you:

Now Jesus' friends had been fisherman all their lives, but in all their years of fishingon this lake, they had never seen a storm like this one. No matter how hard they struggled with their ropes and sails, they couldn't control their boat. This storm was too big for them.

But the storm wasn't too big for Jesus.
"HELP!" they screamed. "Wake up! Quick, Jesus!"
Jesus opened His eyes.
"Rescue us! Save us!" they shrieked. "Don't you care?"
(Of course Jesus cared, and this was the very reason he had come
-to rescue them and to save them.)
Jesus stood up and spoke to the storm.
"Hush!" he said.
That's all.

And the strangest thing happened....

{Ok, just one more page}

The wind and the waves recognized Jesus' voice.
(They had heard it before, of course-it was the same voice that made them, in the very beginning). They listened to Jesus and they did what he said.

Immediately the wind stopped. The water calmed down. It glittered innocently in the moonlight and lapped quietly against the side of the boat, as if nothing had happened.
The little boat bobbed gently up and down . There was a deep stillness and a great quiet all around.

Then Jesus turned to his wind-torn friends. "Why were you scared?" he asked.
"Did you forget who I Am? Did you believe your fears, instead of me?"
Jesus' friends where quiet. As quiet as the wind and the waves. And into their hearts came a different kind of storm.

"What kind of man is this?" they asked themselves anxiously. "Even the winds and the waves obey him!" they said, because they didn't understand. They didn't realize yet that Jesus was the Son of God.

Jesus' friends had been so afraid, they had only seen the big waves. They had forgotten that, if Jesus was with them, then they had nothing to be afraid of.
No matter how small their boat--or how big the storm.

***

There is nothing like a little child's faith, or the reading of a little child's Bible Story book to set an adult's heart at great ease... at least, this adult's finicky heart.

Good night, my friend!

Comments

Grace Remembers said…
Oh boy, and here it is. Excuse me while I spill my guts. Yesterday, I was struggling with huge feelings of loneliness, insignificance and more than anything....fear. Fear of where I am, who I am, who I'm not and what comes next. "Did you believe your fears instead of me?"...and I'd have to say, yes. Just so you know, that 1st phrase in bold struck deep.

I struggled through yesterday's chores, which included listening to the neighbor ladies regulate their kids, as I worked in the heat on dilapidated plants. Although I felt badly for the obviously frustrated mothers, admittedly...I was envious of the way these neighbors easily conversed with each other as two extroverted women in similar circumstances. More fear grew as I saw myself through their eyes. Thinking to myself, "There she is, free to do as she wishes, working happily on her flowers while we struggle with our kids. Must be nice. What does she do over there anyway?"

By the end of the day, I cleaned myself up so my outside would look nice and chipper as my husband came home. I was feeling better as I made dinner and had another human being within earshot. But, my heart was tired. Then the strangest thing happened. Right outside my kitchen door, I noticed a hummingbird was eating from the Canna plant my mother gave me to plant this year. They like Cannas but it was the first one to visit since the flowers bloomed. Running for my camera, I tried to capture the moment but he quickly left. As he did, I put down the camera to walk outside and take a moment to inspect and enjoy the plant. Reaching for a flower, the hummingbird suddenly came back stopping about a foot away as he realized my hand was there. Taking my hand back, quietly, I just stood there amazed that he was still hovering there. He turned and faced me, still only a foot away. Now at eye level, our eyes met and I smiled in awe as this little two-inch body of green and brown cuteness floated in front of me. He had the appearance of calm even though his wings were fluttering at lightning speed. After several seconds he finally flew off. What a gift! Now for your 2nd bolded phrase, "Jesus was with them(me), then they(I) had nothing to be afraid of. No matter how small their boat(the four walls of my house feel)--or how big the storm(in my mind & heart).

Thankful for you Jeane', but more so for a Father who cared enough to send me a personal message through you today!

Carrie
Sarah said…
LOVE.
I think I should get ME a copy of that book. (I have no children yet, but that doesn't mean I can't use a children's book as MY bedtime reading, right?!)
What an extra special post! I love the little sleeping one! You would love when we read before you went to sleep. I think that Bible for children, is going on my list of gifts to give at a baby shower. It shared that story of the storm beautifully.
Becky A. Schick said…
wow, i had seen that story bible while browsing online. but now it is DEFINITELY on my list! that's awesome. thanks for sharing.
Wanda said…
That's the Jesus Story Book Bible!!!! That's what we're using for Pre-K - 1st grade at our school! Isn't it wonderful?!? Did you get the CDs that go with it? My children are 8 & 6 and they enjoy listening to that guy's deep voice! What a great book! I'm so thankful my parents got that for our children this past Easter!
Sally Krueger said…
Jeane,
I have been reading the one you gave me to Bella and she LOVES it...(although sometimes I have to convince her it is not yet time to turn the page). She calls it her Bible-book. I absolutely love how it's written. Love it! & Love you! Thank you. :)
Jen said…
I keep hearing about this book - it's on my list to get! What a beautiful and simple story of his faithfulness to us - all the time.
Jana said…
I couldn't help but notice that the little one's shirt and the book pages are color coordinated. What a sweet picture.

Popular Posts