A Sunday Afternoon Porch Swing. (music included! speakers on?)

Well, if it isn't for {insert your name here}!!!!!


Come, why don't you just take a load off up here beside me on my feather-cushioned, old quilt-covered white porch swing?!?





(Yes, I am pretending. Humor me. Pretend along. There is an artic blast encircling this part of the globe today, and I'm yearning for a touch of summer...aren't you??)



You just sit here and listen to the Whipporwill, take in the heady fragrance of the honeysuckle bushes lining our lane while I run in and pour you a cold cup of fresh meadow tea. I'll be right back out and we'll chat. If 'ol Frank is too loud, I'll turn him down...oh, but wait, it's my favorite song! "The summer wind...came blowin' in...from across the sea...."

I'll be right back!
{Insert here the sound of an old screen door slamming closed}


Ok....here we go. One for you. One for me.



Just sip it real nice and slow. I'm in no hurry, are you? The only thing I had to get done today was mowing the yard, and it's done. There is nothing like the smell of fresh cut grass, is there? I've always loved that chore (unlike weeding). Mowing is one of those rare things in life that allows you to see the neat, clean, straight-lined results within a small window of time. It also proves a good time for mulling over life...dreaming...praying..and catching some sun to add to the freckle collection started on my face.


{Hear those seagulls? Here in my imaginary front porch, we live within walking distance to the sea, so they are frequent visitors here}


Hey...maybe later on this evening you and whomever you would like to bring, could come join us for a picnic out back behind the barn! We'll have freshly picked, sweet corn on the cob (with plenty of butter, naturally), juicy red tomatoes and gourmet burgers on the grill and ...well, whatever your favorite summer dish is. I'm curious. What is it?!?! Or what is your favorite aspect of summer? (These one sided conversations are only so much fun!).

The sights, sounds and stirrings of summer are starting to fade. My feet are feeling cold again, I can now smell the chili that is tonight's dinner wafting from the kitchen and with that, my imaginary summer world is slipping far away.


It was fun while it lasted, was it not?!! Here's to a moment of mid-winter escape...a mini-vacation of sorts.


I'll lift my glass of meadow tea to that any day!


**Pictures courtesy of CountryLiving.com**






Comments

The header and overall look of your blog is so beautiful!!! I just sat and starred at the header picture, and then sat and dreamed about having iced tea with you on a summer afternoon. Sometimes your creativity just amazes me, especially in light of the fact that you are such a busy wife and mother. This post was so inviting on this cold winter day.
OH THAT WAS WONDERFUL!!!!! so creative and just so welcoming. THANK YOU!! i am looking forward to seeing your darling home in full bloom this Spring and Summer.
Fav. thing about warmer weather=flipflops in 10 different colors!!
Ruthann said…
Hi sweetie, hey thank you so much for stopping by "The Farmhouse" for pie and blessing me with those wonderful words! Okay, I just have to say that you are so AdOrAbLe! And so is your dear family! The Lord has blessed you real good! Love your blog, especially the warm reminder that summer is just around the corner....ahhhh I can just feel the warm breezes blowing right now...I can't wait myself!
Bless you sugar!
Aunt Ruthie
Sugar Pie Farmhouse
Anonymous said…
I love the new look of your blog! Thank you for such a wonderful summertime get-a-way. I could almost feel the warm breeze and hear it rustling through the trees. Thanks for taking us away...

Blessings,
Joyce Marie
Terri said…
HA! Thank you so much for your generousity sharing your porch! Especially in light of the stupid groundhog bidding us a happy winter this morning...
I'm totally with you, Janelle....can't wait to break out the flip flops and see what new colors Old Navy drags out this year!

Popular Posts