Just to Clarify

A typical Saturday night for us looks just about the same, if not exactly, like every other night of the 'work week'. We simply do not go 'out' on weekends and do what I sometimes envision the rest of the sophisticated, adult world does while I am sitting on the porcelin throne, behind a locked bathroom door while it shutters from the force of two or three little fists shouting for me, as if the last time they had seen my face was on the bulletin board at the post office.


It is during moments like this, when I find myself salivating at the thought of 2 minutes alone in the "Woman's Lounge" (ie: downstairs bathroom off the laundry room), with (on a good day) an outdated celebrity magazine to thumb through, that I think a date night is in definite order. Even if we have to sell one of the children to afford the sitter.


JUST kidding!!!


Kinda.


To my delight, two of my lifelong friends and their husbands were available for a 'group date' of sorts and we all met at a local Applebees, giddy with the freedom of movement and outstanding prospect of finishing each and every sentence we uttered (if, of course, one of us had something so brilliantly witty to interrupt and inject into another's).



I had brought them the work of my hands...yes, carried in three loaves of my homemade wheat bread as a token of goodwill and friendship. Both received the rather unhandy-to-hold-while-waiting-in-wall-to-wall-humanity lobby with a smile, a word of thanks.


And the roll of the eyes.




As friends who know you too well to be anything but honest (which are the best kind!), they lightly informed me that when they read things such as me making my own bread (after grinding the wheat-that, I believe sent them over the edge) OR see pictures of my toddlers being allowed to help in kitchen during the dinner hour, it makes them think "Ummm....what's my excuse?!?" (I believe I'm quoting Jen exactly). When she said that, I thought "That's exactly what I would think if I didn't know what I know!". They know better, too, but not everyone who reads this blog does.


I do try to keep it real, because I can quickly get overwhelmed when perusing through the vast number of women who's accomplishments can, IF I ALLOW it, make me feel as though I'm coming up short! Way short.

Thus, while they were talking in 'jest' and I did not take offense in the teeniest little tiniest bit, I thought I would just clarify a few things for you who do not know me so well...just in case the bread-thing (made by the woman with 5 children under age 3) brought on the slightest roll of the eye or hint of inadequacy.



FULL MOON EFFECT

1.) During the 'full moon' of every day (4-6pm-or whatever the exact moment is that there father walks through the back door), when all manner of erractic behavior-whining, crying, diva displaying, biting, snarling-reaches climatic heights...these are the hours that make me think that there is no way that I will NOT lose my mind by the end of it. I am a God-fearing, God-loving woman who all her life has refrained from needless bad language, but I will be perfectly honest and say that if you could hear the stream of words that sometimes silently (or in a forceful whisper as to not let the children hear for fear of repeating!) make their way through my head and lips during such times, you might think you're standing on the deck of a shipping dock.

It's as if the full moon effect is taking over me too! (perhaps it is).


I've talked to other mom's-with children out of the house and still within-who all agree that time of day is just the PITS!!!


Thus, it is a warm day in Iceland when I allow any one of the children to participate in dinner making activities. Will this change when they are older and show interest? Of course!!!!(maybe.) And there are times, when the eldest is glued to Dora (who sometimes-ok, no-BE HONEST, Jeane!- way, way too often aides me in continuos 'play' mode in my efforts to stay sane. God bless her!), the middle is sequestered temporarily in her crib with books (that she throws out with force, making it sound like it's hailing boulders on the second floor) and the twins are sleeping, that my little girl who loves to help will be warmly welcomed on to her little chair that she drags over to the counter in hopes of participating.

If it makes sense, and I can, I do.

It's just that, for me and in this season, it so rarely happens.


Most days I prepare dinner during naptime, and that strategy works greatly to my advantage. On the days I do not, and there is nary a leftover meal to be peiced together, it's yet another "breakfast for dinner!" night.

PIONEER WOMAN. I AM NOT.

2.) The bread recipe I have been given by my friend, Janelle, is EASY. And it's made easier by the fact that

a. I have a big mixer

b. there is very little kneading. It rises for 30 minutes and bakes for 30 minutes.

c. the first two times I've done it, the three oldest were at my mom's or sleeping.


A few of you have asked for the recipe, and you can get yourself a copy by clicking here.
I am not a lover of processes (unless they are under 30 seconds or less), but I do love giving my children food that I know is so good for them. There is great satisfaction in being a direct part of that. I thank God for the time and ability to do so (and for the materials He created to make it all possible!).

Speaking of God and His creation. We are scheduled to receive 25 of His specialty farm creatures next weekend. Yes, next week by this time I'll be the proud(er) "Mother Hen" of 25 day-old chicks. Straight from Murray's Hatcheries to our homestead.


No, I am not kidding.


He bought the 'Variety Package', which includes and all 'leftovers' from their various exotic and domestic breeds. From the hens, we will gather eggs. From the roosters, we will enjoy fresh Chicken breast around our table. (Let's just hope the children don't get too attached!). While we have a 'starter kit' to keep them contained/warm/fed, my husband originally suggested we keep them in the kitchen.


I told him that if that's the case, he must be subconsciencly wishing me into a mental facility, because 25 clucking chickens during the 'full moon' of every day would undoubtably land me there.


They'll be residing out in the barn.


If they freeze, well, God will welcome them with open arms as He does all of His creatures. (There is a heated section to our barn where they will be located, just in case you chicken-lovers out there are about to report me).
******


This post has become much too long. And I have bills to pay, clothes to wash, pencil marks to remove with my favorite Mr. Magic Eraser and chin hairs to pluck.
Granted that is, that naptime continues on uninterrupted....


Gotta go...thanks for giving me the chance to keep it real!


Comments

i love reading your blog.
you are SO AWESOME and your realness is just what this blog world needs!!!
Terri said…
ha! Good reading...those days feel so far away sometimes. Though the bigger the kids get, the bigger their noises and needs...
I laughed when I saw Emily sitting at your Appleby's table....want to keep it real??? The very first time I ever saw a woman breastfeed was when her mother was nursing Emily and her twin at the same time!!! Apparently it was traumatic, because I can still remember exactly where I was sitting! Her oldest sister, Amy, is my dearest and oldest friend! Sorry...was that TOO real???
Anonymous said…
hi jeane,
the part about the 25 chickens in your kitchen made me laugh and laugh
what you said about how other women seem to do so much more like superwoman, well that is how i feel about you and wonder how you do it all, seeing that i don't have children or work a job i have lots of time
it makes my head spin to think of doing all that you do in just one day
i really admire you and yes i love how real you are when you write
thanks for the recipe
and thanks for being my friend
thanks for your blog, it makes my day!

christina FL
ajwatson722 said…
Love the new blog look! I'm impressed! I loved the picture you chose and I then realized it's a nook in your family room...beautiful! I love this post. Your writing always entertains me and makes me smile!
If you can't be real on your own blog, then where can you be? LOL!!!

It's very nice to meet you! :)
Jen said…
Well...our server is obviously not moonlighting as a photographer anywhere, but that's okay. The shots captured all the smiles and fun we were having! Although I'd like to note, that my teeth are not quite that beaverish...so I keep telling myself. :-/ It is rare, and to be cherished to have such a 'real' and genuine friend as you. I am blessed to know you!
Becky A. Schick said…
Jeané,
i am so excited that you are trying out chickens! ulterior motives. chickens were on my list for trying this spring, but... a first-time garden is also on the list, as is setting up my pottery shop. so... i decided to put off chickens til next year, but i SO will want your chicken wisdom because i really don't know what i'm doing in that arena (although i really want to learn). thanks for being so adventuresome! (and for keepin' it real.)
love, bec.
a woman who is said…
Oh blessed woman of God! I am laughing and crying for you all in the same moment.

I popped over here via your mom's blog. She is a precious lady, and you are extraordinary.

Your header is beautiful.

I might have to send my daughter your way. She only has two under the age of 2 1/2.

Popular Posts