Fair Weather Friends (& Family)

On almost any day or night of the week, you will find me and the little crew I am working to keep alive and well, within the walls (or yard boundaries) our very own home sweet home. For me, with 3 under 2.3 years, this is the way it stays managable. While not a by-the-book (which I am not a proponet of reading toooo many parenting books, although there are a few out there worth reading), stricter-than-starch mother, I do feel that my children are happier when their days have a familiar pattern to them. And I'm happier when they follow that familiar pattern (ie: NAP TIME after lunch!!). I'd like to say that i take a nice long nap while they're napping, which I've heard you are supposed to do. But as you probably know (if you have been in a motherly role), the call of uninterrupted time to get things done around the house usually tries to stifle the call of the nap. The latter usually loses and it's a marathon sprint to do whatever it is that needs done.

Oh, and okay, I'll admit it.


I am a bit of dork. No. Make that a big dork.
Every day the Hallmark channel airs two episodes of the now-cancelled series, "7th Heaven". On a good day, I have my little International Coffee brand "Hazelnut" flavored cold coffee drink and a few Utz's Honey Twist pretzles and I spend some quality time with the large, television Camden family. During commericials I do laundry-transfers or folding, wash dishes or clean. I never watched the show when it aired weekly for 11 years, but now I will miss it so much when Hallmark pulls the curtain on it! :)

Anyhoo...on the rare occassion that we (meaning me and the babes) go out, we make it good! :)

This past week has been so autumnal and I just love the crispness, the coolness and the smokey smells of this season. Early this week we ventured out with a longtime and deeply treasured friend, Jennifer Phipps, to a local Farmer's Fair within the small town we both grew up in. As in typical fashion as of late, my brain blurred when I suggested that we meet at 9:30 in the morning (in order to preserve afternoon naps). What Fairs open up at that time of the morning???? The answer : none. (at least not this one.)


Above (and below) is my lovely and life-long friend, Jennifer and her adorable little gal, Grace. Motherhood has only made her more beautiful! She somehow was able to resist the alluring calls of Funnel Cake, Waffles-N-Ice Cream and Cinnamon-encrusted chestnuts (I'm sure they were called something more appetizing, I just can't remember what).



We meandered around and conversed in between manuevering strollers and pacifying babies. We were back in our beloved home town and it was good! (What wasn't good was my son reaching out to topple over Gladys Weaver's "First Place" begonia at the Flower Show. She probably wondered why her blue ribbon she's waited 45 years to display in her home was water stained. I wondered why I was so dumb as to take a double stroller through such a display. I then heard the faint click, the sound of yet another brain cell dying off. I believe there are only a few dozen left, huddled together, in the back of my brain. I've heard they do eventually reproduce, so I have hope.)


On Saturday evening, we decided we should help ourselves to a little culture and visit the oldest and largest Oktoberfest in our state. My husband and I are both of German descent after all!





My dear parents joined us and we all walked around the stands boasting of Weiner-Schnitzel, Brautwurst and Funnel Cakes-the last of which I unabashedly and generously helped myself to. I do realize I look possessed in the picture. I ate it with determination, not allowing myself to think about what I was doing.

They had a German band playing festive, folksy music and my little girl (the oldest one) had her first public dance with her handsome daddy & biggest brother.
We left feeling oh-so enriched by our cultural experience...or maybe it was the funnel cake adding it's 'nutritional value' to our systems. :)


And one more thing: I had the tremendous privalege of introducing Mackenzie to her great-great grandmother on Saturday. She will be 96 years young on the 10th of this month. She mothered 8, of which my grandma (Mackenzie's great-grandma, who she enjoyed being held by on Saturday as well) was her eldest. Two amazing women whose hands (and hearts) have faithfully tended to their children. To this day, they provide prayer upon prayer for their many descendents. While it wouldn't seem so, those prayers are more 'hands on' than any of us could realize, I'm certain. (in the picture immediately below: QVC probably won't be calling my great grandma for hand-modeling opportunities, but to me they are the most beautiful, beautiful hands.)



Nap time is now over.


My full time job resumes.

I hope you are having a contented day, my friend...


Thanks for dropping on by!







Comments

Anonymous said…
You are a WONDERFUL WIFE & MOTHER!!!
ajwatson722 said…
I can't believe how much Mackenzie has changed in one week! She is so cute! Loved reading this post and seeing your pictures! I only wish I could be there to enjoy the fall weather with you! Give the kids a hug for me! love you! ash
I learn so much by observing you and how you so matter-of-factly assume your role as mother of a growing family. You did forget to mention the crazy ride that you and Rick went on at the Oktoberfest, while the rest of your family watched in disbelief. I do enjoy watching you and Curt as you fulfill your parenting roles. Saturday evening was a memorable time, and I am sure I will never eat funnel cakes without remembering our time together.
Deva said…
What a beutiful picture of Kenzie and her great, great grandmother. That is a picture to hand down to generations to come.
Love, Deva
Jen said…
Had a wonderful time walking down memory lane in dear little New Holland. You are very kind to proclaim to all how I turned down the tempting sweets at the fair. However, you didn't mention the fact that I stopped at each stand selling the aformentioned sweets, counting & recounting my money, even contemplating taking your money, practically pressing my nose up to each vendor's window looking longingly at the bean bag sized 5000 calorie sticky bun...and finally coming to my senses and walking away.
Anonymous said…
Jeane'- As part of my daily routine, shower, get dressed, drink coffee, read my Bible, CHECK JEANE'S BLOG! :-) I'm beginning to become addicted to it. Thanks for sharing your humor, pictures and life. You are a wonderfully beautiful mother!

Popular Posts