Body and Soul




Do you ever have mornings when the thought of 'getting ready' seems an insurmountable task? When you pass a mirror and catch a reflection of what you consider the definition of "hag" and it's beyond you how to pull all the neccessary elements together in order to look vaguely human? And do you ever think of that woman who always looks so effortlessly great-even in sweats- and you wish it were that easy for you (or so you think.)? I stand here (the computer is up high on the dining room buffet so little hands cannot reach) and share that these thoughts have passed through my mind this morning. They are self centered and stupid....but they are there, and I hope to get rid of them.


Getting myself ready isn't as easy as it used to be. The other night while laying in bed, I thought-for the 28th million time-that I should start waking (and actually tearing myself out of bed) at 5 or so, in order to get a jump start on the day...getting myself and the house prepped and ready for the day ahead. If my grandma and great-grandma and even my mom could do it, so can I!! Yay, rah, siskamba! Go, Girl! Do it!.



Starting next week.



When the World Series is over and I can go to sleep earlier. (Go Phillies!)



And then, BEHOLD! little family, your new and improved "Proverbs 31" wifey and mother will emerge!!!(if you don't know what Proverbs 31 says, Google it or refer to the Bible)



Stay tuned. I'll try to be transparent enough to admit two weeks from now that I'm still dragging my weary body to the Pot of Life (ie: coffee maker) a little (or lot) beyond 5 in the morning.



As for vain goals for the day: Mine is to de-shag my eyebrows (I'm starting to look like Bob Casey (a previous state Govenor who had quite a thick spread of hair hovering over his eyes.) and to keep fruit flies from swarming about my non-showered self. I find baby powder covers a multitude of non-showering sins.)




I thought about attaching a little inspirational thought on the fleeting nature of vanity and how the inside is so much more important than the outside. But I'm going to take a gander and assume that you, like myself, already know this and I'm not going to appease my pride by trying to sound so lofty and spiritual.



I do know this...you and I are loved immensely...hag or knockout, hairy or penciled in eyebrows, shower or no shower.



Oh! I forgot! I did just read a quote that would go perfectly with this:



You don’t have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C. S. Lewis



*******


Here are a few random 'real life' pictures from my week:


My ironing board broke. And so on Sunday night, after the children were in bed, I improvised and used their little green table to iron while watching the World Series. It worked so well, I think I'll refrain from buying an actual board! (You'll notice Curt's peanut shells to the right). Home seats are better than the ballpark sometimes!

This is the way we grocery shop so early Monday morning. (Why I wanted to exact cruel & unusual punishment on myself, I'll never know. From one time to the next I forget how stressful it can be. I usually drive home wishing for a strong drink. And I'm not a drinker.)



I had a great opportunity to join my fun-loving aunts, mom, grandma and several cousins for a "Girls Night Out" at a local restaurant. What a nice change of scene for dinner (and it was served to me! Oh how lovely...)


Speaking of "lovely"....two lovely ladies who are Grandma's!! Can you believe it? Surely it's not so! They look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy too young. But it's not impossible to be a grandma at age 29....they did it! :) Pictured are Aunt Julie with her granddaughter Kate and my mom with Mackenzie.


I hope you have a super day!

Comments

Hello!
I love this honest post...I can relate to the chore of "getting ready" =) & needing to start my day earlier,,,& needing to go to bed earlier..i think i just need more discipline all around!
It was great to see your mother the other night! I told her that maybe sometime this winter, you, me, her & Karen should all get together?? or at least you & I!

Popular Posts