Sailin' Away to Key Largo

First of all, I would like to make a sincere comment. It is this: I wish every person reading this blog would have had the opportunity to experience the serving of sunshine I was able to absorb for a few short days. While I am thankful it was me, I wish it were you too!! (Especially if it has been a long time since you have enjoyed warm, tropical climate).


Since you weren't able to be there with me, if you would like to escape for just a moment, I'd love to take you on a little 'mini-mind-vacation' through pictures. Perhaps before you keep clicking, you might want to slip in a Jimmy Buffet CD and pour yourself a Pina Colada...but I wouldn't advise putting on your swimsuit. Thankfully, Curt forgot to pack my swimsuit (maternity or not), so I did not have to face the dilema of wether or not to embarrass myself or not. Winter white skin, no matter how shapely one may or may not be, is just rarely a flattering combo with swimwear.



Ready?



Come along!



This was our "Cozy Cottage" (it was actually called that). Located at MileMarker 103.5 (everything is located at a particular "mm" down there), it turned out to be as charming as they described it on the internet. Curt was a bit worried as we drove in, but he would not have had to! It was so 'Key-sie" and perfect! (And more than half off of what any decent hotel room would have cost on any of the Keys.). For those of you who do not know, Curt chose Key Largo because that is where we honeymooned 4 years ago. We absolutely love the slow pace and Carribbean feel down there.




On Thursday, we decided to make the drive down to the southernmost island, Key West. We had never been there and discovered that it was a fun destination, although we still prefer Key Largo. (If we were wilder and crazier and were not prone to drift off by 8pm, it would probably hold even more appeal!). The following are little nooks and colorful crannies that stood out to me!

The following picture was taken by force by my husband. It was one of the MANY taverns that dot the streets and in this particular one, the ceiling was smoothered by a strange combination of business cards and well, bras. Like I said, we aren't particularly wild and crazy, and so I would not be normally found in such a joint. And HAD that bra been mine that I was forced to pretend was (I was in the middle of furiously whispering "Just take the picture! Take it!!!!), had that bra been mine, I'm afraid what little I have left after breastfeeding for the past 2 years (and now am "on leave" from) would have sunk way, way down, leaving me to look like i had 2 small tumors on either side of my lower rib cage. But I doubt the women who left their lingerie hanging had that worry.
This is a historic "landmark" destination that we ate an early dinner at. True to their name, they had delicious sloppy joes (and some great music!). Scooter rentals are at almost every corner down there. We chose to walk!








Route 1 ends and begins at this point. (There are end and beginning signs on opposite sides of the street). We found ourselves on an ordinary Thursday, at MileMarker 0!



On Friday, we drove up to Boca Raton to enjoy lunch with my Grandma (and also had the pleasure of meeting up with my Uncle Bob & Aunt Julie.) I do not have any pictures of that, as I forgot my camera. It sure was fun. Later on in the day, my husband took me to my favorite, favorite restaurant in all the world, Mai Kai ("My-Ky") in Fort Lauderdale. It is a Polynesian restaurant with fabulous atmosphere and even better food! I know it may be too much to fantasize about food, but I must admit I do. Somedays when I am eating PBJ remains off my son's highchair, I let my mind go to Mai-Kai and their "Pu-Pu Platter" (sounds appetizing, right?) or their delightful Tirumasu. On Friday, I was able to actually enjoy it!!! There is, of course, plenty of indoor seating, but Curt thoughtfully asked for an outdoor table in their 'recreated' jungle. I even was able to enjoy a virgin Pina Colada (it had to be 'pure' as I am with-child!!) :)



This is the spectacular view from our side windows and back porch. I took this early Friday morning. As we only had a short time down there, I tried to absorb every single moment, as I knew on Monday morning I would be back to changing diapers, wondering if this all really happened!

The dock was literally just about 10 steps from our back porch. I think this is my favorite picture of all!



In Curt, I have truly been given one of the best gifts I have ever been given. He had planned this trip over the last 2 months and covered every detail, from asking grandparents to watch the babies to making reservations at Mai-Kai to packing my suitcase (and he did a great job!). This last 'year' (4 years) have been chock full of ircumstances that varied in hue and shade...but through all those moments, I only have come to love him more. I do not take this love for granted.

Nor do I take my parents and mother-in-law for granted, who provided such loving care to Rick, Christopher and Annie while we were gone. If you are wondering, No, I did not shed a tear when I left....and while i thought of them from time to time, I was completely able to enjoy the present in Florida. In fact, I was hoping that our flight would be delayed a day!!! (It crossed my mind that maybe that isn't natural?!). I suppose it was all because I knew they were each being loved and having the time of their lives!

I apologize for such a long post. As I wrote before, reality has a way of reuniting with you as if you had never left! So, i must go make lunch for the clan....

Comments

We were in FL at the SAME time with Lloyd, Joyce, Scott's parents/brother & wife! Isn't sunshine amazing!! So rejuvenating! =)
Anonymous said…
How romantic Kurt is!!!!!!! The pictures are beautiful. Love, Deva

Popular Posts