Mid Week Pause


Good Afternoon, friend...

It has been a week chock full of hot foreheads, little teeth movin' on up and a general 'grumpiness' from a certain pint-sized member of our family (I will not mention any names). I have not been very productive and I sense that my brain cells are slowly dwindiling to a single-digit count (similar to Hillary's delegate count). I know I could wake up earlier, structure my day tighter, do more stuff, sign up for classes....but darn it, I'm tired!!!!!! And now I am really feeling like a frumpy housewife, as I'm actually watching Oprah (I'm not a regular viewer) and the theme of the show is about "Frumpadinka's" (spelling?) a term she made up to describe women who dress as if they have completely given up on themselves. There was a group of friends who they made over. I am sitting here thinking that, at this moment, I look like a combination of all their 'before' pictures!! I've had my curlers plugged in upstairs since noon...and they're still heating up!

I have learned something new today however, lest you think I am a complete waste of brain power. I discovered that I have absolutely NO self control when it comes to Cheese Danish, especially the Weis Market brand. THANK GOODNESS they only had the mini-cheese size (even though I was crest fallen when the bakery clerk I hunted up said they did not have any full size of the just the plain cheese flavor). I ate the ENTIRE 3 servings by 1:30 today. My intention was to cut myself a nice, modest slice for a special treat for this and the next three mornings. Yea, right. So...here I sat, glurping down calorie-laden cheese danish-ALL of it- with a smile on my face (and I'm sure I'll find a few new cottage cheese craters on the back of my thigh tomorrow. I like to think of them as 'little souveniers" from my rendevous with C. Danish). If Oprah were here, she would have to say I'm a Frumpadinka with a fettish. But I'm a happy Frumpadinka!


And so, my friend...if you feel as though you have not changed the world today, or have yet to accomplish anything creative or charming (and probably will not by bedtime), and if you still haven't done your hair at 4:30...I am writing to say you are not alone. It is ok. In fact, I think there are probably a few people in this world who would trade places with the daily-ness of our lives. I think of a family who lost their teenage son in a car accident this past weekend. While I was laying awake at 3:30, trying to soothe my baby girl with a bottle and wishing for more sleep, they were abrubtly awoken from their peaceful slumber by the knock on their front door, only to be greeted by the State Police and news that is every parent's worst fear. And so, I'm thinking that in that particular mother's case, she would give just about anything to go back in time and relive an uneventful day when her boys were ALL alive and thriving, even though there was not much glory in it for her. I am quite certain that there are many, many women who would feel the same. Thus...I am grateful.

The picture at the top of this entry was my little guy playing with one of his favorite things...the vaccum cleaner. He is quite accustomed to it, as we have a Golden Retreiver ("Shadow") who lives in the home with us. His absolute favorite thing is when I "chase" him with the vaccum cleaner and 'almost' suck up his toes. He may need therapy for it someday, but for now, it makes him laugh.

Below are peaceful pictures of the babes being together. I take this pictures to remind myself that they, in their most primitive form, really do love each other so that in the days and years ahead when they are battling each other, I can show them of 'the way we were" (and maybe I'll make a little presentation of pictures like these with Barbara Streisand playing in the background. I'm sure that will be a terribly convicting approach to aggravated 6 & 7 year old siblings. They will watch and repent with tears. Hey, it's ok to dream!!!!).


For whatever reason, there are times when I find Christopher wearing his Tex Mex Cowboy Hat. I am thinking it gives him a heightened sense of authority when dealing with other children, including his little sister. (She could care less)

I'll leave you with this picture of the two of them at one of their favorite spots...the front window. They get very excited when cars go by. It is truly the simple pleasures that are the sweetest,isn't it? I hope you experience one today....

Until next time,

Jeane`

Comments

Anonymous said…
I praise the Lord for the simple things in life, for the mundane evenings at home just sitting around watching American Idol with Jamie and the kids. God bless the family and families who have lost loved ones, especially children. We are so blessed not to be called upon at this time to carry that heavy burden.
I can't wait to get my hands on those kids, they are the cutest little things. Go ahead and start talking me up to them lest I scare them. I am not as laid back as Diona when it comes to babies and toddlers. See you soon. Deva
yes, i think i am a frumpidinka as well. i want to think that i am not, but i have to admit that most of the time i just pray no one comes to the door, (or if they do, i can at least put on a bra in time!!!)....i would not have made a very good amish lady! i was frantically writing downt the "top 10 must haves" and will do my best to fill my closest with those items and then actually WEAR them! i miss you and just LOVE our times together.
xoxo,
Janelle
p.s. i'm auditioning tonight for the local arts academy. we're going to be performing "anne of green gables." i have to make sure that actress in me never dies!!!
Hello!
I just happened to stumble across your blog! (& it has been a delight!) I don't think that I've seen you since last summer at a Horst family reunion...or maybe it's been a few summers ago-i get updates every now & then from Karen about you or your sisters...never the less, i must tell you that your blog is so inspirational! you are very gifted in writing!!! you need to publish something someday. the way that you are able to capture the details of life is amazing!

--Ang (Scott's wife)
Anonymous said…
This Frumpadinka was watching too...I too was taking close note of the top ten pieces I should have in my closet. And when I looked up prices for the "affordable" JCREW cashmere, I decided to perhaps check out Kohls this weekend and just get some "cuter" Frumpadinka clothes for around the house. Am I in a vicious cycle?? Jeane', your blast from the past middle school picture was hysterical! You see, I emulated you and your style back then, and so I guess I'll just blame you for my dateless dry spell from grades 7-11.

Popular Posts