Junior High and Chuck Norris


Poor Chuck Norris.

Or, depending on how you look at it, good for Chuck Norris. He is getting ALOT of my stepson's attention these days, and also apparently that of his friend's as well. As I have written before, having Rick in my life adds balance and spice to the 'babyness' of my world right now. Growing up in a family of all girls, and having a best friend for most of my school years who was also the oldest of 3 girls, the mind of a Jr. High guy was always one of the world's most locked up mysteries. Now, I have been given a front row seat into the life of one, and I'm finding it enlightening.





Back to Chuck Norris. For those of you who have too much spare time on your hands and are still reading, there are multiple websites dedicated to this Texas Ranger (who, in real life, is an outspoken follower of Christ), poking fun at his character's invincibility. Last night, while I was ironing (a chore that rates right up there with cleaning the grout in my shower), Rick compiled a list of his favorites and could barely contain himself, coming out in 2 minute intervals to stoically recite each one to me. I just didn't have the energy to muster up a fake belly laugh, but they made me smile--mainly because they make him. (And I was glad he was sharing what is important to him right now, albeit endless jabs at Chuck Norris.) For those of you who would like an example, here is one (or two):

"Archeologists unearthed an old english dictionary dating back to the year 1236. It defined "victim" as "one who has encountered Chuck Norris"

"There is no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold, so he turned the sun up."

See what I mean? They may not be funny to the average adult female...but they sure fit the bill to a tee for the average Junior High guy. (In fact, Rick reread all of his favorite to his dad at dinner. Nothing like a side of Chuck Norris with roast Chicken).

Thankfully, I can use this opportunity, not to roll my eyes at what he finds funny (although at times, tempting), but to point Rick towards the One who IS invincible...and anything BUT corny. He is worthy of our time and our smiles (and a whole lot more). Hopefully I'll remember to do this!




Today I was able to see my grandma while she was home for a bit from Florida, where she resides during the winter. She is such a courageous lady who loves her Lord. While sitting around the kitchen table she said, "Now I just want to say this one thing, as you are in this season of life. When I was there, when there were these little children hanging on my legs, crying, acting up (and she had 5) and I was trying to get dinner on the table, feeling completely overwhelmed, I would just cry out to the Lord and ask Him for guidance. He always answered, even if subtlety...and it gave me such comfort that He cared for me while I was in the midst of all those thankless, exhausting moments of motherhood."


I was so thankful she shared that. It is true. This job of mothering is something I am humbled and grateful that He has given me. The world around me doesn't place much value on my occupation (as a sole occupation), but He does. Or rather, He places great value on me, no matter if I were a mother or not, and He is always willing and deeply wanting my dependence on His love. Thank you, Grandmotherella (my little name for her), for this sweet reminder (and for the homemade Chicken Noodle soup you sent along home!).







Comments

ajwatson722 said…
love the pictures! and the post. Thanks for writing. I always love to read about what's going on. Love you!

Popular Posts