Show Then Tell


Thousands of thoughts swirl through my head during the day. There are thoughts that get sifted through and thoughts that stick. There are whispers of guilt, and nudges of conviction. Sometimes, it is hard to separate the two. 

I will not bore you with my sifting, shifting thoughts. I will share, however, a small stream of thinking that has kept trickling through the cracks, that I became suspicious it wasn't just another guilt-driven expectation on myself:

"This world we're living in is such a harsh, ugly one. The Kingdom of God, which co-exists with the dark, is full of Light and Love to get us through this Earthly passage...but have I even had any conversations with the children that directly tie in with their spiritual at all this past month week? I feel like I am still just trying to stay above water, and am barely devoting time to actually train, or to cultivate their hearts. So the house isn't a complete disaster, they aren't cursing at strangers (yet) and they get three square meals...but what have I done of any real substance regarding their hearts? "

I did my best to gut out the guilt and ask for clarity on how to move forward.


Today, God instructed me on one such way.
No light from Heaven. 
No condemnation. 
No flash of lightening or wind of the Spirit.
 Epiphanies are not always grandiose. Mine are usually quite quiet and unassuming, taking me almost by surprise at the very end.


Today's divine instruction began with a simple idea that came quietly to me while I was unloading the dishwasher. The first part involved minor crafting (does a shiver go down your spine as well when you read that?) There are no pictures of a harmonious craft table with happy children making Valentines to the sounds of Tchaikovsky on the radio, for no such thing happened. Rather, I did the crafting because I was tired and did not want the mess or the fuss (and the children were actually have a quiet "quiet time". UN-heard of in these parts!).


While they rested, i cut out vintage Valentines Cards I had bought and downloaded from Etsy. After printing a cluster of corny Valentines riddles found online, I pasted them on the backs of the cards.  A few pastel conversation hearts were sealed in little bags. 
The Valentines and candy were divided into two gift bags and after naps/quiet times,
I loaded up the crew and headed to the place that holds a woman I have loved for all my life.  

Every time I go, and after every time I leave, I wonder why I am not more consistent and vow to be more so. I am a pitiful example of a faithfully-visiting granddaughter. But like I said at the beginning, I am a slow learner and my loving grandma is a patient woman.


Today, a whole month's worth of Bible Memory, spiritual instruction, and family devotions took place as my children handed out Valentines to the residents of my dear Grandmother's retirement community. Their little spirits (and mine) took in, as much as they could, how we were made to Love like this...to be little reflectors of His big-time love.



On our way there, I chatted with the girls in the van. "There are lots and lots of people who live with Great-Grandma. Some of them either do not see their grandchildren much or they do not have any at all. Some folks there are lonely, and maybe by giving them a Valentine Card and even a little hug, you will make their heart a little happier."

We pulled in. The eldest daughter, as she does, properly exited the van, smoothed her skirt and waited for me on the sidewalk, Valentine Bag snug in the crook of her chubby little arm  (i love chubby arms!). She waited while I pulled out the double stroller, situated her twin brothers and then administered needed discipline to her little sister who decided to melt down in the parking lot, and not quietly either. She was not feelin' the love of Jesus just then. Neither was I, quite frankly.

I saw an older woman approach my sidewalk-bound daughter (but she could not see me). I heard her say "Why, hello, Sweetheart! Don't you look pretty!" to which I heard the chirpy little voice of my daughter promptly reply, "Are you lonely?"

"Oh! Why, no, I'm not lonely. Are you lonely?"

"Nope." (The tone of her voice indicated the conversation was over, thank you very much.)

The surprised non-lonely woman chuckled, unaware that she had just disqualified herself for a homemade Valentines Day Card with accompanying corny riddles and conversation hearts. That's what you get for having friends!



The two ladies pictured below were discussing the one's stroke when we walked in.
The lady to the left asked my daughter her name after receiving her card. "Did she say Annie?", she asked looking at me. I nodded. 
"Why, I have an Annie too!"
As it turns out, her Annie has sold a whole lot of soft pretzels and changed a whole lot of lives. Amazing, the legions of lives that are represented in those quiet halls.
 




Our visit with my grandma and those who live in her community,
taught me what I already knew...we first show and then tell children the way of Love. One without the other simply cannot be as effective, yet both are equal in their importance. This is what I do not want to forget. This is how I want to live.


Even if you do not have the privilege anymore of having a grandma to "go see" (and I am terribly sorry if that is the case), I might recommend making a visit to a local retirement center. Children or no children, puppies or no puppies,feel free to go without a "prop"...there are a whole lot of people who were young once, who don't feel as old as they are and who do not want to be forgotten. As I write this here, I write this to me. I hope I have finally caught on.





Comments

Popular Posts