Presently Living.

 It's 9:57pm and I finally got the shower I put off today. And yesterday
(Lipstick, perfume and baseball caps cover a multitude of sins).

 Before I head up to bed with my sweet nightcap, basket of bottomless laundry to be folded (not that I'm planning on folding it tonight mind you...I like to give the wrinkles a good 24-48 hour window to settle down in the fibers of shirts and sweats) and book to read for five minutes before the old lids descend, I thought I would share a quote taken from CS Lewis's profoundly written book, Screwtape Letters, Letter 15 (written as a conversation between two demons in regards to children of God):


The humans live in time but our Enemy destines them for eternity. He therefore wants them to attend chiefly to two things - to eternity itself and to that point of time which they call the present. For the present is the point at which time touches eternity. Our business, as demons is to get them away from the eternal and the present. 

It's far better to make them live in the future, all their passions point in that direction. The thought about the future inflames hope and fear. It is also unknown to them so that making them think about it will make them think of unrealities. In a word, the future is of all things the least like eternity. It is the most completely temporal part of time - for the past is froze and no longer flows and the present is all lit up with eternal rays. Hence nearly all vices are rooted in the future. Gratitude looks to the past, love to the present, fear, avarice, lust and ambition look ahead.


 My friend, Jaime, shared this on her blog several days ago. I read and it resonated. I printed it out and have been letting it slowly seep into my daily perspective. I thought it possible there might be another worry-prone, imaginative-to-a-fault, future-dweller out there like me who could benefit from this poignant reminder as well.

If not, well, thanks for stopping by anyway!
Here's a quick glimpse into our week.





 Mud.
It's free.
It's plentiful.
It mixes well when wet.
And it makes GREAT pies.
Wads and smears of it's substance through the house
are washable and worth the work for the enjoyment
these five little gifts of ours get out of it.
 

Comments

Popular Posts