Brightening a Corner


Hello, friend!

Yesterday I was granted the sheer happiness of putzing around my home with three children temporarily gone, safe in the care of their loving 'mamaw' (my mother). The twins woke up happy and in between checking on them, doing the wash and making dinner, I was able to take a little 'corner' of my world that needed a little TLC and give it just that. I used nothing i did not have on hand, and even though I know there are a million ways it could look better, I am satisfied looking out my side kitchen window now. 
(I am not sure what the cement structure was used for by the previous owners, and we probably will take it down, but for now, i tried to 'freshen it up').


Being of non-crafty orientation, I love the quick difference spray paint makes when attempting to redecorate (which I do love doing!). I found three old plain pots in the shed, and took 10 minutes to spray them robin egg blue...a nice contrast to the red and white impatients. As I am writing this, I am half laughing at this ridiculous, amatuer step-by-step (which is pretty much it. just two steps). As if this were the 'Craft Cottage'. (Click HERE to find how how I really feel about crafts/crafting).

While I was surprised that my husband was home early from enjoying his hobby (flying a friend's plane), his approval of my 'project' was welcomed. When he came up the walk, I jumped (spray paint can in hand, poised at the bird feeder)  and he smiled as he said "Busted!"...but even he, the Great Master of Sequences (he likes to take his time on projects, completing each sequence correctly before moving onto the next...yes,i married my opposite) found my quick attempt at brightening that corner a decently done one.


" Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished".
~Mary Englebright garden quote found for $1 at Michaels


While bee-bopping from the house to the barn to the site of the makeover, the old hymn "Brighten The Corner" whistled through my mind (and since I can't whistle worth a lick, that's where it stopped). It was penned by Ira Ogden (1872-1964) who had big career plans, but ended up abandoning her dreams by caring for her invalid father after a car accident. I love the words, and I thought you might to.
Personalize them to your 'corner' circumstances if you care to....

Brighten the Corner Where You Are

Do not wait until some deed of greatness you may do,
Do not wait to shed your light afar,
To the many duties ever near you now be true,
Brighten the corner where you are.

***
Brighten the corner where you are!
Brighten the corner where you are!
Someone far from harbor you may guide across the bar;
Brighten the corner where you are!

Just above are clouded skies that you may help to clear,
Let not narrow self your way debar;
Though into one heart alone may fall your song of cheer,
Brighten the corner where you are.

***
Here for all your talent you may surely find a need,
Here reflect the bright and Morning Star;
Even from your humble hand the Bread of Life may feed,
Brighten the corner where you are.


“And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.” (Colossians 3:17)

Comments

Popular Posts