When it all becomes clear...

There are moments of stark realizations of the past that can hit you in the time it takes to pick up an old, forgotten picture.

There are moments that you realize that your dear, God-fearing mother lied to your face when she told you that the reason you were catching nary a young lad's eye is because they were intimidated by your beauty and maturity. It was either because she was needing better eye care, or because she had a kind heart and couldn't bear to break yours.
Perhaps both (which is what I would suspect in my mother's case).


Thank you, mother dearest, for sparing me.
It has all become quite clear.


If one was too look at this picture without knowing the subjects, I can see where it would be easy to assume this was your 'average' happy, Mormon polygamist family enjoying the 1989 holiday season...or wonder if the woman in the black and white jacket had to have the star surgically removed from her head. Neither, of course, is the case.

PS. In case you are wondering at the great gap in age amongst our motley crew, there are eight and ten years between my younger sisters and I. They were my very own doll babies when they were born, and have grown up to be my dearest friends. God's timing wasn't what my mom expected at the time (many 'quiet', painful years in there, no doubt), but looking back, God definetely knew what He was doing in spacing our family as He did.
As for having looked 10 years older than my very own mother and often being the assumed mother of my sisters, well, I'm not sure why He didn't intervene, except that it spared me alot of heartbreak.


Comments

There just are not words to express my thoughts concerning this picture...no words. But, I must say, back then and now I always thought you were one of THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CREATURES on the face of this big earth! Someday you will understand this. I love you!
Anonymous said…
you rocked the "aqua net" & "teased bangs" girl!
HOLLA!

(ps - the complete "Barney" purple outfit is figure friendly and quite delightful to the eye. not harsh at all. love it!"

I KID!
Wanda said…
Jeane! I'm constantly telling my mom I should make a guest appearance on a trashy talk show entitled, "Trying to keep up with your mom who looks better than you...even though you're 30 years younger!" I know, we'll have to work on the title of that show, but you get the idea. You obviously had just ONE of those moments and maybe can identify with a TINY bit. But, it's clear to ME and the rest of the world, that you've got your mom's HOT GENE! I'm still wondering when I'll catch up to my mom!!!???!!! Groan!
Terri said…
HA!!!!! I wish there was a way to BOLD that laugh...I totally laughed OUTLOUD!!! The thing is this, you can be thankful that you get more beautiful with age...what I don't understand is that your mom still looks exactly the same!! Seriously.
There are such similar pictures in my family too. I think that's why I like looking at old pictures so much...you usually end up laughing =: )
Anonymous said…
You get your beautiful looks from your mom. What a wonderful picture. You have the age gap with your sister's like what's happened with some of my older and younger sisters.

Your a kick in the pants girl!

Take care,
Viola
Jen said…
I'm dying!!!!! Your belt! Your shoulder buttons! Oh my word. This is one of my favorite pictures. Thank you for getting it out again to share with the world. It's too good.
Anonymous said…
The best part of the whole photo is the vague sense that you're unsure what to do with your arms. "Hmm, maybe I'll just dangle them like this..."

Popular Posts