HELP!

Dear God,


I am completely over my head in mothering my children right now.



Please help me to maintain perspective.



To be grateful for the health of my children,
for their very being and
the honor of carrying out a role
that at this and many seconds,
seems anything but noble.

When the demands become so many,
so frequently, help me remember this:
You know how it feels to be
constantly demanded of for every. little. thing
with pitifully little in return.

I know women who long to have
and to hold children of their own,
but month after month, their
hope sinks afresh. A terrible
unfairness it is.
Help me remember the
gift it is to be stressed in this way.


Even though mornings like this do not include
meaningful conversations,
 creative pursuits,
or anything but keeping them alive,
there is still great worth in what I am doing.


Please help me to remember there are mothers out there who would love to hear their kitchen chairs being drug across the linolium (for the six zillionth time),
but their earthly loss has silenced that sound...



Help me remember to be grateful for indoor plumbing, even after removing large amounts of toilet paper from the commode and spending more time with the plunger in one hour than I have for months.


Keep me from comparing myself to the 'fictional mother' who has it together, and takes her children to educational activities and creates cutsy crafts during the day,
every day.





 Help me remember they are little, and do not come pre-packaged with a course in manners and general tidyness.
It is to be taught.
Help me teach them. 
In love.


Please help me keep in mind that even after a week of potty training my daughter (who is age 3.5) with still no ability to foresee when she'll need to visit the bathroom (on her own) and still putting up a fuss when I make her try, that someday, she'll be leaving home. Potty trained.
And I will not be exasperated by these days then.
I will miss them.

Help me show your mercy to the four year old who is regressing during the three year old's training...and to the two year old who is ready to be trained but whom I have not the capability to train simultaneously. (takes off her own messy diapers at various and sundry places throughout the home, including where her little twin brothers can get them, stick their fingers in and lick them when they come back out. Beyond gross).


(obviously the Home Depot Goggles we bought for our son at Christmas
have enjoyed family-wide usage).


Basically, dear God, I am just asking for HELP,
confident that you will give it to me.
You have always come through, and you will today as well.
(and if for some reason, you feel I will better serve you in the loony bin, please allow my white suite to be flattering).



"If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You'll get his help, and won't be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought. "
-James 1


Comments

Anonymous said…
oh my goodness. i felt like i was the one praying, then realized it was you, then i stopped and thanked the Lord that i'm not alone. thankful for the messy days, but still needing that HELP!
have a wonderful messy house day today, and just think....Parenthood is on tonight; IF you're awake enough for it ;)
-liz y.
sbharnish said…
LOL, i love this post! Yeah, right there with ya!
momstheword said…
What a wonderful post! I am one of those mothers who would love to be back in the trenches again, but I still do remember the days that I struggled when they were little.

Mine are 17 and 22. We struggled with infertility for years and the Lord blessed us with two here and one in Heaven.

Our oldest was a Houdini in a diaper and he loved to "fingerpaint" grossness all over himself, the crib and the walls. Wonderful smell.

We tried duct taping his diapers but he got out of them. We tried everything.

Finally, hubby took a pair of footie pajamas and cut the feet out of them. He put them on backwards and put a safety pin below the top of the zipper, so that our son couldn't pull on his jammies and get them unzipped.

Then, he took another pair of footie jammies and cut off the arms and the legs, so it was sleeveless and legless (it looked like a onesie).

We used this to put on over our son's clothes during naptimes and as needed. Wearing it backwards and with the safety pin on it, he could not remove it and thus couldn't get to his diapers.

This finally got him through the experimental fingerpainting episodes! Just thought I'd mention it from a mom who remembers!
Jen said…
Oh Jeane', I can't begin to fathom the busyness of your life. But I know that you are an amazing Mom, Wife, Friend & Neighbor. Keep on Keepin on!! You are doing great - the fruit of your labor will come someday! Love the verse you shared - thank you.
Michelle said…
Oh Jeane, I love that you are honest with how you are feeling. So open and transparent. The Lord does hear your prayers! And I'm so glad that you are in the company of others who know exactly what you are going through {although I'm not glad that you are all going through all of that, just that you're not alone!!} I am praying for YOU that the Lord would give you so much grace and patience that you won't know what to do with it all. :) Love you dear friend.

And to "momstheword" - I LOVE what you guys did with your little Houdini! Made me laugh!
Brigitte said…
I always love your posts! Your honesty and warmth shine through! A good friend of mine left me a note once that said "this too shall pass" at a time I really needed to hear it, so I will say the same to you...."this too shall pass!" Glad you can keep your sense of humor! I saw your beautiful family on your mom's blog at your sister's wedding. Blessings to all of you!
Anonymous said…
Hello Jeane,

By laying your thoughts out to the Lord, you have gone to the best place. He will rescue, keep, and sustain you through these days of motherhood. It is a job we cannot do alone, but only with His help.

May the Lord bless you and wrap you in His tender loving care each day. This too shall pass. Until then, you've always got friends at the coffee cottage:)

Here's a hug:) I wish I lived close to you because I would drop by on days like today and bring you coffee, chocolate, and hugs:)

~Debi in MN (thanks for your email, sweet friend:) I can't wait to see pics of the wedding. I bet it was so very special for all of you!!
shannon said…
I'm praying for you sister! Breath deeply and exhale slowly and use duct tape over your mouth...LOL!
Terri said…
"See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me."
Isaiah 49:16 (NIV)

{*He hasn't forgotten that life can be hard...hasn't forgotten because you are eternally on His mind.}
lglessner said…
Jeane' Thanks for the smiles!!! You crack me up!!!! Hope you get the time to enjoy the beautiful snow today!!! That is outside your house...not the tracked inside kind!!! Enjoy the rest of your week!!!
betsyesbenshade said…
Some days may seem longer than others, but just take one at a time and remember that those little people are your mission field at this time! They are a very precious and dear mission field and they love and need you so very much! You are doing a great job, besides, crafts are not all they are cracked up to be! Potty training, now that really can be a nerve testing experience but it too will pass!
Anonymous said…
Oh my Jeane, Your real life stories are so awesome, I get caught up in them everytime. Blessing to have you share "your business" with us. I'm sure you touch so many hearts just as you do mine. My Haley will be 18 this March but I can still hear her little laugh just as if were yestersday.
Thanks for sharing and reminding us (moms)to also be grateful....for even the tougher days. I love you, Your friend forever, Diona PS: Praying for you!!!
clarita said…
Oh, this is just precious. And the cry of my heart as well... to treasure these days. To not be stressed by the little things (which I feel like I often am). To be okay with little things like pacifiers being used during the day instead of just naps, because they won't leave home one day still sucking a paccy. Little things like that. I love this post! And I think you are a wonderful mother!!

Popular Posts