The Bachelorette's Robe

Every night from the time I was three until the ripe old age of seven, I prayed for a little sister. I did not know that my mother had been told that after her severe ectopic pregnancy that her chances of having another baby were exceedingly slim.  I was never aware of the many miscarriages she experienced during those years. And yet, she never tried to hamper my prayers. I admire her for that.

As God saw fit, those prayers were answered. When I was eight years old, my answer to my prayer was born in my sister, Ashley. And two years later, when I was ten, I was given a bonus to my prayer...another little sister!

In my mind's eye, she is still sixteen. Maybe twelve. It truly does not seem long ago at all that I was helping burp this beautiful "bonus" who is going to the chapel, gonna get married tomorrow...



Monday night was her Bachelorette party, and I went feeling old. After escaping the circus that is our home at dinner time, it took me a good fifteen minutes to resume a normal breathing pattern. Thankfully, I had my trusty mom-mobile all to myself.

While there were many beautiful (very) young ladies there, I found great comfort in seeing my friend who is my age and the older sister of one of Kim's very best friends (thus is Kim's 'other' older sister) was there. Jess's obvious beauty radiates from the inside out. She is married and is also a mama, and apparently had the same train of thought as I when she dressed for the evening...

Black everything (including a spot of black lace) might disguise the near-insanity we felt during our day and fool the young women attending that night into thinking we've still "got it", when in reality, we were on the verge of locking ourselves away from our children into our Powder Bathrooms and reverting to the fetal position just mere hours before. Motherhood can make you feel like a fraud in social situations, can't it?


Having Jess there was also comforting in that when my sister opened this 'gag gift' (a full length, velor, zip-up robe), my voice was not the lone one imploring her to keep it. "No, really...we're not kidding! You WILL wear it someday. Mark our words!".


I am not a prude (right??), but I have to say it was a bit disconcerting sitting there amongst a sister and cousins who were, only yesterday, eight years old as all these little itsy, bitsy, flimsy-whimsy bits of netting and lace where being revealed, one after another. The robe, quite frankly, brought me great relief. Ok. Maybe I'm not actually a prude, but I will admit I sounded like one, as after the blushing bride held up each 'article' , I suggested it would pair nicely with a black turtleneck.

Oh well, I'm just the big 'ol sister who is in denial that her littlest 'baby doll' is getting married and moving far away. I realize it is just part of the process, and along with the denial is also a whole lot of love and pride for the woman she is becoming...and an excitement for the adventure that lies before her!

I must now go and continue prepping the props for the small people who will be experiencing a weekend full of excitement, fun and drama (will they, or will they not walk down the aisle? Either way, the sun will still rise the next morning!). I hope you are able to enjoy your wintery weekend as well. Thanks for dropping by....

 

Comments

Yep, love my full length zip down robe! It's funny b/c the other day I was just thinking that maybe I should ditch the comfy long robe and replace it with some more chic pajamas...nope, can't do it! Comfort, baby! Congratulations to your little sister!
Mother of Pearl said…
My mom had a full length, velour, zip up the front robe - but hers was solid purple, not leopard print. And some mornings I find myself wishing I had something as warm and cozy as that. And then I regret wishing that because it seems to me a sure sign of the frumpiness I try not to acknowledge.
Jen said…
I can't believe "Kimmy" is getting married tomorrow. She is still 8, right? She is such a beautiful young woman and always has a sweet sweet smile and hug for me when I see her. I pray that the wedding goes well tomorrow and that your little ones make it down the aisle in some way, shape, or form... hee hee.
Debbie said…
I hope everything goes wonderfully, whatever happens. And she will be married no matter what!
Deb
Anonymous said…
Hello Jeane,

This is so exciting that your "baby sister" is getting married!! She is lucky to have you in her life as the sister who is also a friend and supporter (mentor if you will as well). Please share pictures of the day, and I am keeping my fingers crossed (though I don't need to) that all the aisle walkers perform perfectly:) Weddings are such special events for families. You and your children are going to have so much fun, and the memory will stay with them long after the excitement passes.

I will keep all of you in my prayers. Your mom's post this week was so touching:) The time flies, and her post reminded me of that song that has "Turn around" in it (from the musical) and ends with something like "Turn around and you're a young girl going out on your own".

Hugs,
Debi in MN
the picture of you and Jess just made me smile. i treasure you both so much and am thankful we can be black robe wearin' mamas together!

looking forward to hearing how tonight goes....as it is 12 am on Saturday morning.....oh dear!!!
Becky A. Schick said…
jeané, you FUNny. (as my 3-yr-old would say.) where is your sister moving to? hope the wedding was wonderful. can't wait to see pictures of your cuties all decked out.

Popular Posts