Christmas Carols



Excuse me as I state the obvious: Life is full of change.


So full, in fact, that when you find that little sweet something that stays the same, it can provide such comfort that you want to stay close by and watch or listen....


...'sweet, unchanging somethings' like Christmas carols. You know the words, you can hum the tune without thinking about it--and chances are, the stranger next to you on the street could do the same. They provide not only comfort, but commonality with perfect strangers.


I was thinking about that this past week...what I derive comfort from. Even in the middle of July, if I hear a non-seasonal refrain of "O Holy Night" (my very favorite Christmas hymn), it gives my heart that warm yearning. Do you know what I mean?




And then there are those unchanging truths, such as...


Parenting Truth #201,550 : Little girls, resplendent in their Christmas garb (complete with tights which none of us have ever favored) will not pose prettily when you want them to. If they do, consider it a rare gift from God and thank Him for it.









As well as Parenting Truth #320, 482 : A little guy who has a good and loving father, most often wants to be just like him. Even if that means wearing hand-me-down shoes that are 2 sizes too big but RESEMBLE daddy's. (and a cute little sport coat that looks like Paw-Paw's-his term for Grandpa). I am so delighted that he wants to mimic the men in his life, so I could care less if he is wearing sizes bigger than he is!

As my little Christmas gift to you, my dear little blog-reader, let me leave you with my sincerest wishes for a warm and memorable Christmas...may the day be longest all year- in the best of ways! AND let me share this little bit of wisdom lent to me today from a very special woman in my life....

"The pictures of Currier and Ives on the front of the TIME mag, was just that, a picture... The real deal to us sisters in HIM, is only found in that empty tomb...I had the privilege last Tues to teach from my best friend notes who died last Christmas Eve day..Lori... SHE WROTE, THERE ARE TIMES WHEN I CAN'T BREATHE AND WHEN I AM STILL, IN HIM, HE IS BREATHING FOR ME..I JUST NEED TO BE.... you need to BE, in all your Father is to you and what HE has done for your family"

Truth spoken in love is a gift in itself...the sweetest kind, I think.

Merry Christmas, my friend!


Comments

Anonymous said…
The look on Mackenzie's face is priceless!! Love that pic. Hope your Christmas was merry (I'm sure it was : )
Love,
Barb

Popular Posts