What's YOUR "Green Light"?


When I was a little girl, my mom gave to me a little electric candle...you know, the cream plastic base, with 'faux wax' dripping down the 'candle'? The light bulb perched atop it was green. She said I could put it on my windowsill in my room as a part of decorating my little corner of the world (my bedroom, with all my favorite things in there-including the Strawberry Shortcake comforter that I thought made me just about the luckiest little gal in all the world!).

I remember laying in bed at night, just staring at that little light and the green glow that it cast about my room...anticipating Christmas-the festivities, the gifts, the Christmas program at church! Everything....

Fast forward about 25 years and I find myself in the Christmas section at Wal-Mart, with a cart full of children, scanning the aisles for a little green light to put in my kitchen. Not that I need much more of a reminder, but I do not want to forget to view this season through the eyes of children...so I can make it special for mine! (and transport myself back through time to the simpler, 5 year old version of myself).

Do you have a "little green light"??? Something, maybe ever so small, that made your childhood Christmas a little bit cozier (even if you had a less-than-ideal one?). If not, I would
like to propose that it is never too late!





Comments

that would be the BEST Christmas album EVER...."come on ring those bells" by Evie. i am practically transported when i turn that CD on, (yes, I spent an obsene amount of money to purchase the record turned CD on ebay)! now, it's on my ipod and in my car! that's my "green light."
xoxo
Jeane` said…
I cannot believe you wrote that, Janelle! That would be right up there with the green light for me!!! In fact, I am known in extended family circles for standing on stool belting out "Come On Ring Those Bells" at the top of my little lungs into my "mic" (a multicolored jump rope with bright red plastic handles). I have 2 Evie records sitting in my home as we speak (you can never have too many!!!).
Hope your weekend was absolutely enchanting. I was SO sorry I couldn't be a part of it! Jake was so excited about it, as Curt relayed to me!
Tears came to my eyes as I read what you wrote today. As your mother, you always encouraged me on my Christmas journey, with your endless enthusiasm for the holiday. By the beginning of Nov., you were begging for us to play Christmas music. I forgot about the little green candle, so thank you for reminding me of one of the sweetest little girls on the face of this earth, and her great love for " Christmas".
Jen said…
Oh I love this post! My green light is actually a blue light. My parents display an old wooden nativity scene every year that belonged to my Dad's parents. In the center of the barn there is this cheapy foil star, and you can choose any color light bulb to screw in. We always wanted blue, because it was the prettiest! I just remember staring at that pretty blue light illuminating porcelain wiseman and the baby Jesus.... I also have to jump on the "Come On Ring Those Bells" bandwagon! What about "Some Children See Him"??
Jeane` said…
Jen,
I remember you and your blue light...and it never had anything to do in the slightest with reduced prices on select merchandise at K-Mart.

My fav. on the album...One Small Child (in a land of a thousand)...I can't write without singing every stanza!

Popular Posts