The Pay Phone

It is generally acknowledged among modern civilization that
these blue booths are nearing extinction.

There are still those among us, however, who pay in an unconventional way
for the calls they take or place.


They call this segment of the population, 'Mothers' (of small children).
For each and every nano-second our ear is pressed up against a phone,
we insert 'coins'. These coins might otherwise be identified as the following:

a.) Energy: waving our hands wildly, gesturing with force and fury at all those responsible in unleashing the heck that began breaking loose at the sound of the first ding-a-ling-a -ling. The passion and brute force of our silent charade is in no way reflected in our pleasant vocal tone, particularly so if speaking to someone  who is under the impression that we are good mothers and kind people.

b.) Ignorance: if we, on rare occasion, are able to enjoy relative silence and find our usual phone-call nemesis preoccupying themselves in another part of the domestic dwelling, this will almost always result in an absorbent amount recovery efforts, such as sorting through THREE dressers full of clothing, underwear and socks, all mashed together in a pile so that they would have something to jump in.



c.) The Great Give-In :  Whenst so desperately wanting just 3 FREAKIN' MINUTES to get a message across to one's pediatrician, online support or friend, the sharp little gnomes crawling up your leg see the window of opportunity and will claim it with gusto, and in my case, are often victorious depending on the urgency of the call. They either mime, point, beg loudly or jump up and down in request for the lollipop or fruit snack they would otherwise know to not even waste their breath on. It's possible that there have been calls, and not long ones, mind you, in which my children inhaled more sugar than they do Easter morning. All for the sake of finishing a few sentences with another adult.


And that, my friends, are why 'pay calls' are not so extinct after all.
We may not be ensconced in a small blue booth (doesn't sound so bad, does it?), but we sure as sugar pay per minute!

If you care to share, I (and other readers, I'm sure!) would love to read of your most memorable form of 'payment' that your children caused you to dispense of!!



Comments

Mother of Pearl said…
Pay the price for a phone call? Like the time a toddler emptied the entire bookcase? Or the time a napper awoke, and not finding myself there at the instant I was wanted, messed his diaper and then removed it? And then of course there is the loss to my hearing from the ear piercing shrieks - "he won't give it to me!" So maybe, yeah, I know what you are talking about.
Anonymous said…
Hello Jeane,

As usual, your post was great and so very true. I have been guilty of all three! It was as if my kids had a secret radar, and they knew the moment Mom got on the phone, they could get away with anything from emptying cupboards and drawers to drawing on walls and making concoctions in the bathroom. It has always been especially hard (even with teenagers:) when the phone call is work related. Now, I tell my family, "I'm on a conference call, so no drama until I'm finished:)"

I've been thinking of you even though I haven't posted lately. Your mom had a post where she featured a picture of your twins sitting arm in arm (watching Barney, I think), and it was so cute to see their special bond. It just made me smile:) God has blessed you with such sweet children . . . and it is thanks to your mothering that this is the case:)

Best,
Debi in MN
Debbie said…
I never had these problems. Of course my children knew very well that they should behave and everything was always in it's place......what was the question again? :D
Rachel said…
you *KNOW* what my kids do!!! sadly, having witnessed it yourself...
i declare, the InStaNt i pick up the phone, all manner of you-know-what breaks loose around here...most times at ear piercing decibels that should never come from the mouths of ones so small...
yeah..you may be onto something...those phone booths could become a popular thing with the desperately deprived of conversation housewife and mom.
or, we could do like some plain sects do, yay, even in this very area, and post a little shack at the end of the lane.
hmm....=)
happy day sweet friend!
Anonymous said…
Jeane,
I've been meaning to comment on this post of yours due to the one picture resembles what my son did in his own room when he was 3 and supposed to be napping. He took all the clothes out of his dresser, emptied them into a pile, and when I walked in and caught him was jumping mid air amongst a cloud of baby powder thrown in for good measure. Yes, those days of fun. My soon to be six year old girlie isn't nearly as brave as her brother. She's fine just playing with her dolls, stuffed animals or drawing till she's content for the next activity. However, she knows how to manipulate a phone call with her 'shouting' for something when I'm on the phone.
I wouldn't trade this time of life for anything.

God bless your weekend.

Viola

Popular Posts