7 years.

Contrary to popular belief, the following, while they may be wonderful 'special treats',
 are not  necessary in celebrating a marital milestone:

~ Fine Dining under a crystal chandelier
~ A Cruise, an all-inclusive or exclusive resort getaway
~Silver and Gold, Diamonds or Pearls
~Flowers paired with a card from Hallmark's finest, sappiest line of cards.


I only suggest this because I found it to be true this past Saturday.

We had 24 glorious hours all. by. our. selves.
Nary a beloved child to be seen, heard or felt pulling at our legs.
Just me and my favorite person in the world.

He showed me love by enthusiastically agreeing to listen to Disc 2 of "The Essential Neil Diamond" on our way to our destination. (If you knew my husbands disdain of ND you would know the immensity of love this actually shows.)




I returned the favor by (after a small hesitation, due to my silly rigid schedule-adhering nature) agreeing that the little diner alongside the road would be the absolute BEST option for lunch. My husband will take a mom and pop eating establishment over a chain any day of the week...not so much because of the food, but because of the people. Diners are, in his book, the best. Every Friday, he meets his oldest brother at one for breakfast, and often takes Christopher along. My son now knows the 'regulars' there: taking the hand of the 80 year old woman while she is eating her usual English Muffin as he talks to her, high-fiving the group of plumbers that line the counter...and proudly marching his cleaned off plate back to "Gus" (the owner/cook) in the kitchen, receiving a 'pound it!' in return.




 It is this type of regularity in which relationships are easily built around the small booths and vinyl bar stools of a hometown diner. While I have come to truly appreciate his sentiment, I cannot say that I am AS enthusiastic about buying an old worn out 'treasure' (ie: diner), putting a pencil behind my ear as I wait tables, place the orders back to the cook, who doubles as the father of the children who are running around the small diner "charming" the customers. This is a dream of his. I support it, as it's especially easy to do so since it is not very probable at this point. Perhaps why I am really sharing of all these 'diner dreams' of his, is because it is his compassion, his lack of pretension and his rugged sense of adventure seep out of them...and those are just three of the reason I admire him so.


*I had to wonder how many years this old soul has been warming the seat of those bar stools. The diner was built in the late '40s, so I can only imagine the regulars it's shiny silver walls have seen come and go... 

In any case, what made the day special was that it was not centered around an 'event'. The day was centered on each other... of happily seeking out to fulfill the preferences of the other. We did not have any deep, life-changing conversations along our travels, but we enjoyed the comfortable silence that is open to conversation as it happens. We did not spend alot of money, but we did not need to. There was nothing missing that needed to be bought.



Do I realize what a gift this is? Probably not as deeply as some who are without. I do, however, try my very best to a.) never take a day or night for granted that he is by my side and b.) never, ever think we have 'arrived' and know the tricks of the trade in a 'successful' marriage. While this weekend marks only 7 years (kinda...we were married on February 29th), with the various life changes and challenges we have been through, not to mention the speed of which our family increased, it feels a whole lot longer. We have been through valleys and mountaintops, and there is much more where that came from. We are susceptible to anything, just like any one else and we desire to stay aware in guarding and preserving our commitment to each other. This commitment has little to do with what we 'feel' like at any given time or achieving a certain level of 'happiness'....but what was so beautiful about our '24 hour escape', was that we were not battling our selfishness, as can often be the case when living with another person (i speak for myself...my husband is a much nicer person than I. No, it's ok, he really is). We simply enjoyed a day of effortlessly showing our love to and respect of each other.


I would be remiss not to mention a HUGE highlight of our day was meeting
my younger sister, my fine bro-in-law and my absolutely beautiful little niece for an early dinner at a quaint town along a historical harbor. I don't know that we have ever had a 'double date' before, but it was a complete JOY! The only thing that could have topped it, would have been to have our newly married youngest sister and her husband join us. Unfortunately, Fargo is not what one would call a 'hop, skip and a jump' away! NONE of this would have been remotely possible without the great act of kindness on my parent's part. It's not just anyone who would volunteer to watch our five busy toddlers!
"Thank you" is simply not adequate!!





Well, that about raps it up.  We picked up the twins Saturday night after we returned from our little day-vacay and the rest of the kiddos returned (not very willingly, I might add. "Mawmaw" is MUCH more fun than I) last night.  This morning I was quickly ushered back to life with five big personalities in little bodies. Not even the quietest of days or the strongest of coffees could have made me really ready to dig back in. Just like the sign above the diner's kitchen door (see picture) says, "THERE WILL BE A CHARGE FOR WHINING", and there should be, for it does not help anything. Instead, I will go forth a grateful woman for the love that brought me the five in my care today!

THANK YOU, my friend, for taking the time to visit here!


Comments

Peter and Kim said…
Jeane'~
This is simply lovely! A friend and I were recently discussing that one of the wonderful things of being married a growing number of years (any number of years really) is truly KNOWING our husbands and being KNOWN. How he knows exactly what I want--or more importantly DON'T want--for Valentine's Day, for example. Or the simple things that make him smile on a day-to-day basis. Thanks for expressing this beauty so well! Happy Anniversary! ~Kim
Happy Anniversary! I'm so glad you had a sweet day!
Matt Watson said…
What a privilege it was to be able to share part of that special day with you! I kept saying the whole way home "that was the best way to spend our afternoon/evening that I can think of"! So thankful that you guys are together! You truly bring out the best in each other! By the way, your hair looks beautiful fro the back in the pic of you two walking! Very pantene pro-v commercial-esque.:)
hersheybarnes said…
Happy Anniversary! I am so happy for your incredible day!
Anonymous said…
Happy Seven year anniversary to you and your hubby!
Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time away!

God bless your week.

Viola
I am so happy for the two of you! The pictures are beautiful of all of you! I can't thank God enough for bringing you and your husband together. Happy Anniversary!
Matt Watson said…
Haha- sorry this is Ashley, not Matt. Which I'm sure you already figured out!
Anonymous said…
happy anniversary jeane
this is one of your most exceptional blog post!
christina
Rachel said…
Happy Anniversary!! and, i am So very Happy for you that you had 24 hours away alone! you are exactly right that one does not need all those fancy, expensive extras to make an anniversary meaningful!
Anonymous said…
beautifully said:) and so happy for you both to spend the day together, you deserve it 100x again
liz y.
Sarah said…
I think what the two of you have is far better than a cruise or dinner under a crystal chandelier. Happy Anniversary, Jeane'!

Popular Posts