Tree Cutting 09


It's a rainy/sleety/snowy Saturday afternoon. I have Perry Como on the stero..oops, scratch that, Mackenzie just turned off his smooth voice. (My musical preferences place me at age 80). Anyhoo...I have approx. 2 minutes to write, so this will be QUICK.





We bought our Christmas tree today.


Stuck with the Miller tradition,

(even though I had gently suggested an artificial or pre-cut tree. I might as well have suggested no tree at all. )


At the light near our house, I asked that when we get to the farm, to pick the nearest-to-the-van-tree.

Whilst still waiting for the green light, Curt suggested the lone big pine that stood atop the steep slope up to the bypass.

It was green, it was pine and it was close to our home, but we decided it was a tad too big for the living room corner.

So....



We were off to a nice big farm, complete with horse-drawn wagons, a petting zoo, Santa Clause, free refreshments and a plethora of trees.

But, as we looked in the rearview mirror, saw 6 sets of eyes (some of whom are fatigued with colds) and looked ahead at the sleet drops falling gently (albeit forebodingly) on the windshield...and as we saw a little "Christmas Tree Farm" sign (promising not much more than trees) off the side of a road just over a mile from the house,

we changed our minds.





And so, I present to you a few pictures of our tree cutting tradition. Thankfully, our double stroller given to us has wheels to accomodate such terrain...and off we went. Any and every event like this is tiring, but, in the long run-worth the memories. Someday I could be sitting in my little corner of a retirement home, wistefully recalling these days (even though barely remembering them).


Happy Saturday to you! (I'm 'off duty' tonight with my hunky husband...can't wait!)


























Comments

Wanda said…
Perhaps you should have a TLC show! You family is so photogenic and beautiful!

By the way, my hubby is the SAME way...we have the Mellette tradition of cutting down a Christmas tree, but this year and last year, I convinced Jerad that I needed to get the house ready for the tree, so it has become a father/children tradition to cut down the tree and bring it home to Mommy!

Much love!
ajwatson722 said…
I love these pics! The kids look so cute in their hats.:) Make sure you take a picture of the finished product in your family room. I'm sure it will look so pretty! love you!
Anonymous said…
Each one of your photos, especially these ones, brings much joy to my heart! I can't wait for the day Buddy and I can come up and visit you all! We have a little white fake tree with shiny bright ornamaents, kind of looks like a glass tree. Keep writing, your blog is one of my most favorites to come to where I find love, faith, encouragement and truths! God bless you!
Always and forever,
Christina
Anonymous said…
I love your pictures, you don't know me but your husband took a class from mine a while back and they stay in touch every now and then...he gave us your blog site and I have to say I have been a follower. Congratulations on the addition to your beautiful family. I always enjoy reading about your life adventure...

Blessings!
Joycemarie
James said…
Ooh! LOVE that red coat on you girl! Curt just wants an old fashioned Griswold Christmas...glad you're going with the flow and making lovely memories. :-) Thanks for the pics - so much fun.
Linda said…
hey, it looks like you went to the same Christmas tree farm we went to! It was just Kevin and me this year, but choosing a tree among the quiet hills tucked away on a country road was a beautiful experience.
Missy said…
I say hats off to your oldest son! I'm amazed at a what a trouper he is!!!
I'm not sure if I would have been smiling in that picture :0
tell him I think he ROCKS!

Popular Posts