Hair


I felt as though I had stepped back in time, taken over the persona and body of that of Aunt Bea, taking her little "Opie" into Fred's Barbershop in downtown Mayberry.

It really was a delight taking Christopher to his first Barbershop experience on Friday. This particular Barbershop was one we've walked past many times (right down the street from our house,give or take a block or 3!) and it was everything you've seen in the movies...men lined up in the big Barber chairs facing men lined up in the small wooden chairs lining the wall talking about the town government, the high school football team and wondering what is going to happen to their jobs. Did I mention the simply framed John Wayne pictures and old fishing rods hanging on the walls??

Christopher loved it. They loved Christopher. And I kinda liked being the only female in the place. :)

It got me thinking about hair....and the legacy of it in which I've been bestowed. In cleaning out my closet this week, I came across quite a collection of pictures-all of which were quite humbling.

In my constant quest to be 'real' on this blog, I thought I would share them with you....


Here is a bevy of big haired women from whom I derived my affinity for volumous hair. This is right before we took our seats at the Miss America Pagent in Atlantic City, NJ. (It was a birthday gift for me! I got to take my best friend, Sarah and all my aunties,mom and grandma came along! It was a blast). I just feel bad for the persons who sat behind us...it would have been a challenge to get a good look at the stage between our heads.)



Where it all began: My parents.

I am sure I will receive a telephone call within moments of this posting, and I won't even get a civil "hello"....instead she'll cut right to the chase: "WHERE did you get that picture and WHY on EARTH did you post it!!!!!"

Well, I'll answer both right here and now: In a Rubbermaid container in my closet and because you guys look so good. It was the late eighties/early nineties you know, so you were both so "in". Plus, I thought Dad would like everyone to see him with a bushier mop than it is currently. :)

And I wanted folks to see where I got my thick curly locks...so here they are, John and Judy by the Sea, looking lovely as could be...(you're welcome, mom).


This next picture is testimony to the fact that a mother's influence is BIG! (and looking at it, I'm starting to wonder if birds didn't attempt to make their nest in that 'do I'm sporting. Wouldn't surpise me if they had.)


I have more pictures, but no need to bore or depress myself even more! :)

Yesterday and today I have had (and will have) two dear friends and their children come over for a visit...it has been a great beginning of this week before Thanksgiving! (Can you believe it! Thanksgiving already!!)

And thanks to my Dad and Mom and their babysitting services on Sunday afternoon, I took out a big bite of my Christmas Shopping...this is a GOOD thing.

I apologize for the boring post...it's been busy around here, and I'm coming up short on inspiration and motivation for blogging.

Now..time for me to go and warm up my half-full coffee mug and add a little of my favorite Carnation French Vanilla Creamer...a luxuary of life I'm grateful to enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by!






Comments

From the bottom of my heart...thank you so much, dear daughter. My personal very strong belief, is that those pictures should definitely have stayed exactly where they were...in a tupperware box, on the top shelf of your closet. Humbly I accept your kindness.
Deva said…
Great pictures!! Big hair rocks!!!
Jen said…
From a girl who formerly permed her bangs, and whose pictures of that era have been tucked deeply away in my attic, I deeply sympathize with your dear unsuspecting mother. Thank you for the extremely large belly laugh you gave me though!!! Thanks also for a charming lunch on Monday in your cozy home...see you soon dear friend.
Dale said…
Wow...I am so glad I visited your blog. Jeane, you are brave. And I hope your dear friend Jen doesn't get any ideas, because we all have those wonderful pictures hidden away! All I see is beauty and sweet spirited friends...and I am thankful for them all.

Popular Posts