Over the River and Through the Woods....

Annie & Christopher with their special Great-Grandma Martin



This morning while drying my hair, I decided we would take a visit to my Grandma Martin as it was such a lovely morning for a drive down my favorite byway, Route 625. Besides, we were long overdue for a visit to such a special lady, who I knows prays for us daily and loves us deeply.


And so, as I finished making myself presentable to the greater East Earl community, trying to pacify my 22 month old's "mama!!??" mantras in the room beside the bathroom, I imagined what fun they would have looking at the big fish aquarium and birds in the atrium. This would be a fun morning!


My grandma lives at the beautiful (and I truly mean beautiful) Garden Spot Village in my childhood hometown of New Holland. She has a cozy apartment there and such an active social life (certain more active than mine!), made evident by the many "Hello, Janet!"'s she got as we strolled down the hallway. The other residents fussed over the children, and I was secretly hoping that Christopher would impress them (and, I'll admit, make me look good) by shaking their hand, a manner we have been loosely attempting to teach him. Rather, I would suggest (in nice tone and firm look) to Christopher to "say hello! to this nice gentleman" and he would scrunch up his little face and shake his head 'no'.


Yea, well....that handshake, it was a nice idea.


He loved the fish and birds in the atrium and fake dogs at the gift shop. He even hitched a ride on the "Jolly Trolly", a vehicle that provides transportation to residents within the building itself. Annie sat quietly in the stroller, observing it all in her sweet way. She has, however, developed a habit of pulling Christopher's hair while sitting behind him in the double stroller. Part of me secretly cheers for her, that she has a rare 'advantage' over him for once, and can give him a little back of what he dishes out.




Lunch included a mostly quiet meal that ended with him upsetting his high-chair tray, thus spilling all the contents left on it and then crying because he wanted to eat his chocolate pudding ALL BY HIMSELF! As you will see, he got his way, which should not have been the case. But in a restaurant full of folks who are used to the sound of peace and silence, I wasn't about to create a scene. We have enough 'scenes' at home as it is.



We then left shortly after lunch.


I was exhausted.


I felt wimpy for feeling exhausted after a little 2 hour visit to a Retirement Community (and almost wanted to check myself into it). But I recalled that I am pregnant and increasingly showing it, inside and out. On a side note, if you have come across any vitamins or super pills that promote the quick growth of a third arm, I am in the market!!! I will need it soon, for the arm must reach full length by September! Thank you!


Have a great day. I'm headed off the the kitchen to make a cheese quesedilla for Curt for a late lunch, as he's working from home this afternoon. Then, Lord willing, I'll have 10 minutes for a power nap. (or not!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I guess I am not the wife that you are!!, I would have suggested to Curt to make his on cheese quosidilla( I need spell check). I was tired after reading your outing to the retirement home. I hope you are taking vitamins and you may need a B-12 shot in the bootie about once a week, it helped me when I was pregnant with Devan. Love ya, Deva Have a good day.
Joanna Chappell said…
Hello Jeane'...I must confess, I snoop on your blog from time to time...and I have been quite entertained...so congrats on the baby on the way...i'm sure you are nothing shy of busy...is curt still at willow valley...oh, and what is your due date...i know i haven't seen you in years and i'm asking you these questions..but i feel like i know you all over again (just by snooping)...

Popular Posts