Motherhood 101





I often feel that on these first few miles during this journey of motherhood that I find myself on, that I am on a crash course of "Motherhood 101", and if I do anything well-and especially when (notice I didn't write 'if')I make mistakes, they will be made on a mass audience. Due to the succinct arrival of our children, I do not have much of an opportunity to become an 'expert' at all of the stages in preparation for the next one. But then, I wonder, who really does? (And would I want to know them???) While there are proven principles and solid standards to parent by, there is also the variable of each child being born with their own unique personality, disposition and quirks!


I find myself immersed in a 'class' I never book studied for,finding myself feeling like I have entirely so much to learn...and yet I am thankful to have had great role models to observe from the time I was just a little lassie (I just felt like using that word. "Girl" is ok, but just not as cute). In general-and this is just in regards to me-I am not a big fan of reading too many parenting books, as first of all, the author has never parented my child and secondly, too many opinions written as facts can make for a stressed out mother when their child isn't 'cooperating' with the process or plan written in the book. (And yet, there are a few books that are beneficial for a parent to read. I'm looking forward to reading a Ted Tripp book due to my friend, Janelle's, suggestion- see her lovely blog at http://www.stoltzfusinstrasburg.blogspot.com/
for more details on his wise advice in one of her recent posts!).


The easy breezy days of having one walking (or running!) and one who is stationary are now officially over. On Sunday evening, everything came together for Annie and the technique of crawling clicked in her little brain. Only because she seems to mimic her not-much-older brother, I am guessing she'll walk earlier than he did. This is, again, why I prefer living in a smaller home where there isn't as many rooms for them to get lost in at this stage. It has been fun observing the good differences between these two...as Annie crawls to find something and 'observe' (no fuss needed), while Christopher crawled merely to move, and move as fast as he could-no destination necessary (but applause preferred)! Even before her recent mobility, as her personality has begun to unfold in earnest, they have realized that they just might have a playmate (and an ally) in each other. There have been many times when I hear them cracking each other up in their cribs (when they are supposed to be napping) and already they are experiencing conflict when ONE toy (out of a fifty) seems to suddenly be the toy of the century.
All this I'm writing...normal, typical sibling realities...just new to me (and them!).

If you care to view, keep clicking for a few recent pictures!

Nightly Bedtime Snack: This is a wonderful bit of advice gleaned from my mom who suggested a belly full of warm oatmeal will help ensure a good night's sleep...and indeed it more often does than not! And it doesn't hurt to enjoy a shared bowel over Sesame Street. They know bedtime is just around the corner when Elmo sings his goodbye song!

The Crawling Olympics has begun! (And you might note that the firstborn of the two has already taken up the leadership role).

Since Annie can probably understand 'Toddler-eese" better than I, it is fitting that she is read books by her big brother.

It appears as though someone wants to emulate his daddy! He's off to work, complete with his computer case (lap desk), tie (one of his dad's very own) and coffee mug. He also has a real (play) cell phone in his case.

These are the days....the ones I dreamed about while sitting at my desk with a lovely view, dressed in my silk Jones New York suit and leather heels...wondering how I would ever find a man I'd want to marry and thinking that I would probably be too old to bear children by the time he'd come along. I remember being secretly envious of the friends who had married younger, and got an earlier start to child bearing...

As I look back from this stage I am now in, I am able to see in many (but not all, of course) ways how God has made all things-the good, the bad, the ugly-beautiful in His time. He'll continue to do that, somehow, even when I have a hard time believing how (or even wanting to) and also when it's incredibly easy to believe it.

Comments

Lulu and Tutz said…
Thank you for your sweet comments! I recognized you right away! We're glad to have you stop by for a stroll anytime you're in town! I can see by your pics that life is fun and active for you right now!!! Enjoy the brief years of busyness your little ones provide...all too soon they are grown and asking for the car keys!!!
Hope to see you soon...

Popular Posts