How Does Your Garden Grow?

Many times I feel like throwing up my arms and exclaiming:

 "I AM JUST ONE PERSON!".

Sometimes I do.

I suspect that at various moments in time, the attitude, the tears, the defiance in any and each one of our five toddlers is their way of saying:

"I AM ONE PERSON WHO JUST WANTS YOUR ATTENTION".

In our family, which is not that large compared to many others, it is difficult finding time to spend with each individual child without being interrupted by another. While I am not one that believes that children must be offered one-on-one stimulation at all times, I do feel it important that a parent be conscience of finding time to illuminate and cultivate the unique aspects of their child's personality and abilities. I have five little ones that are all in unique and fleeting stages of great impression...and I am the {very} predominant adult in their life, and I have the great privalege of helping mold the way they see God, themselves and the world around them.

{I wish that last sentence would come to mind when I find myself in the midst of the first sentence of this post!}

When I am attuned to the opportunities that God gives me with any particular child, I find great delight in those heart to heart moments. One such moment came 'out of the rough'. My third child is the vim and vigor of our family. She is determined, fiesty and fun. She also is the one that leaves me more exasperated than the other four put together.

When it's bedtime, and my expectations turn towards having a little 'down time' to do what needs done or perhaps indulging in a little time to myself, that is when I can become most infuriated at her fits that she can throw, even in her bed. My already low patience level is nearly depleted 'after hours', so when I had to go up and tend to her temper a few nights ago, I was ready to lose it right along with her. Nothing I did would help. Nuk? No. Cinderella on CD? Nope. Being firm? Uh-uh. In my mind I'm shouting 'Will you please just SHUT UP" (a forbidden word in our house amongst the children). Instead, I exited the room, hoping she would wear herself out. There was no reason I could find for her outburst.  I was too tired to care to find one.

As I plodded back down the steps, the thought was suddenly whispered to me, "Go get her and bring her down stairs with you. Hold her and tell her you love her". And so that is what I did. The child who moves at lightening speed during all waking hours, sat as still as a statue on my lap. I kissed her head, tickled her arm(her favorite thing)and told her how much I loved her. We just sat there for 30 minutes, and then I told her it was time for bed. When I laid her down, she made not a sound. It had been enough. My undivided time and attention was just what she needed.  In my exasperation, I had almost missed it, as I often do. 

Another gift of the same sort happened yesterday. The twins and the little aforementioned 'tornado' were napping and my dear friend, Sandy, took my oldest to their home to play with her son, his best little friend. This left me with my 3-year-old-going-on-18 daughter.

 In many ways she possesses the 'oldest child' tendencies. Perhaps it's because she's the oldest female. It doesn't really matter why. I find her responsibility, follow-the-rules and particular ways absolutely adorable most of the time.

We decided to sow our seeds for the garden. (I am sure all my gardening friends out their are nodding their heads in disbelief at my ignorance, as seeds probably should have been sown weeks ago. But, hey, I work with the information I have!). We did not go anywhere or buy anything...we simply spent time together. Just me and my little sweetheart.



Not one to know what to do with attention, the tongue always seems to stick out in response. A little strange, but I chalk it up as part of a 'stage' (i hope!).


Lord have mercy, baby's got her blue jeans on!!!

(She came down  wearing this look, the second of typically multiple outfits worn in a day.
What can she say? When you're hot, you're hot. It's a 'chick' thing).






After a while, the littles woke up.
They wanted to see what was going on.



Hmmm...curious.
They are Popsicle sticks, but appear to have already been licked clean.
Oh well, just in case there's a smidgen of sweet left on there, she took a lick for good measure.



Thank you for making time to read up on our little corner and how we are growing in understanding, even as imperfect as we are!


PS. I am excited for the next post. I am putting together a few little things to GIVE AWAY to celebrate the fact that we 'survived' winter...and I am looking forward to selecting a recipient of it! Stay tuned!

Comments

I love all aspects of this post, but I especially like the story of your littlest daughter and the time you spent holding her. I have found at times, that is what she likes so much (at times:) I can totally understand how difficult it would be for you to show them individual attention at times, but I see you do it and I admire you for it.
a. I love that song! It always reminds me of the newer ParentTrap movie, which is still one of my favorites.
b. I have come to realize the same thing that both Luke and Evan sometimes don't need the swift hand of justice or a slammed door, but a little rocking chair/ hugging action. Life IS too short to pass up those very special moments!
Thanks for sharing Jeane'~
Matt Watson said…
Love this! I enjoyed every word of this post and ended the reading with a contented sigh.:) love you!
ajwatson722 said…
I need to work on this accidentally commenting under my hubby's account thing. :) love, ash
Becky S. said…
How sweet & special that you were able to sit still & quiet with precious baby #3. Her cute little face always reminds me of my baby #5. I think they have a lot of the same features. (And yes, my #5 is quite the whirlwind, too, so that also reminds me of your #3.)
Loved the shorts and cowgirl boot look! She is styl'in you know! It's always great to read your posts and realize I am normal too...although my kiddos are not as young as your kids anymore. Thanks for writing!
Anonymous said…
"how does my garden grow?", you ask?

IT DOESN'T!!!!

unless you count the produce section at Giant my garden.

(i have another friend who has a post with the same title and i answered her the same way! although, i do hope to have a garden, perhaps next year. clark is the cook/grocery buyer in our home and continually talks about putting a garden in and enjoying the fresh herbs, fruits & veggies)
Anonymous said…
We don't know eachother, and I don't remember how I came across your blog, but I love reading it!! I am a Believing mom of three little ones, 5 yrs, 3 yrs, and a 3 mo old. My 3 yr old is a daughter that could be described just like yours!! Your writing has moved me to tears several times because I can SO relate to these "difficult" days of motherhood (difficult at times). Thank you for sharing your heart and blessing another sister in Christ! Gwenda
Sarah said…
This post just seeped into my heart where I'm storing it (and treasuring it) for later.
I don't know if you saw any of my comments (and I forget even where I left them), but I want to thank you so much for your excitement over my recent excitement, Jeane'. I already know you are a treasure, and I truly am looking forward to getting to know you much better in the future.
Anonymous said…
I love your posts Jeane. Have a great week.

Hugs, Viola

www.alongawidowedroad.blogspot.com

Popular Posts