Life in Pictures


Hello, friend! (Come through my new front door, take your shoes off, put on some cashmere slippers-that I have for all my guests of course!-and let me pour you a cup of joe, stir in a shot of French Vanilla creamer if you prefer and we'll catch up...albeit one-sided, but that's how it goes in this land of technology.





I am writing to you on a glorious Monday morning, glorious because I woke up at my intended time (4:45) and have had a very, very quiet home to enjoy all by myself and indeed, these moments are treasured! Especially after nights like last night, when all heckeroo erupted, and at one point I was in a flat stared daze, all hope of anything merry and bright ever coming into what appeared to be a long, thankless week...months...years ahead. But then...I snapped out of it. Kinda.




You see, the period before the dinner hour (we'll say 4-6pm) is, on most days, the 'full moon' portion of it. It's as if all stops are pulled in who can be the whiniest, loudest, clumsiest, demandingest (my word, couldn't stop the 'est' trend) and fussiest. It's a competition none of the 5 can resist entering. And almost every time, they are all winners. It's enough to make one check oneself into the nearest coo-coo house (and want to stay there voluntarily until they're all in college!). :)




(Quick sidenote: In between paragraphs, I heard John crying upstairs, so I brought him down with me. And like it goes every time, when one is 'missing' the other one knows it. Ray just joined him. Now they are both contented. Amazing).




Anyhoo, Curt has been working ever so diligently to get our previous home completely moved out and sparkling clean, so most of this weekend he was going back and forth doing just that. Which makes for yet another extened week (or so it feels). So last night, after temporarily losing my mind trying to make Christmas Cookies with the two oldest (completely hair brained idea), I was scurrying around, heating plates of Thanksgiving leftovers (THANK YOU MOM!), placing them in front of the children, realizing that they probably had each had a pound of American cheese in the hour before dinner (to keep them pacified til daddy got home) and hoping they would at least eat the peas and corn. Well....let's just say by mid-dinner, Curt was rocking a twin in his arms (whilst stuffing in lukewarm roast pork), the eldest of my daughters was have a pre-pre-pre-menstral breakdown, in which she would not stop crying b.c she did not get her way, and when Curt finally got strict with her, the youngest daughter was startled and started crying FOR her older sister. So, two screeching cries...and then laughter from their older brother, who found this funny--and was quite pleased that HE was not the one in trouble...and to top it off, in protest and defiance, my littlest girl sent her divided toddler plate soaring through the air like an expert discus player. It was at that point I threw my hands up and said "FINE! It's a 6:30 bedtime for ALL of you!!! Maybe 5:30 if you do not get happy NOW!!!" ( I think I spoke those words at 5:29).




In any case, not every part of every day is that crazy...but the effects of that dinner still linger with me (I still have the shakes) and it helps to write it down and realize that it is just a part of the season of life we are in. I am doing my best to embrace the pace...the lack of perfection in all of this. I want to love my children and for them to sense that THEY are the MOST important. Not a perfect house or a orderly life.



Below are a few pictures of 'everyday'...and moments that I truly treasure:



Christmas Cookie baking with the two eldest little ones. They were of the peanut butter/Hershey Kiss variety. When I turned my back once, I turned back around to see this. I asked her what had happened to the chocolate kiss that had been on top of the newly baked cookie. She did not seem to "know" what on earth I was talking about!

Chief Kiss Wrapper Remover


A new favorite: Rolling (and fetching) the ball in the laundry/mud room). If I've said "ROLL, not bounce!" once, I've said it a billion times.
So we need a little Christmas, right this very moment...and that's about all it took me to make this little centerpiece.

Making Christmas ornaments. These craft times are all of about 10 minutes, but I want to get them in now and then.

The Climber. She is my little "Nix Nux" (for all of you who know PA Dutch!). She climbs every climbable surface (and eats anything she can find, even though I feed her well!!). Here she swiped her brother's apple and is quite pleased about it, thank you very much.
Hours of play...those cupboard doors are made into 'front doors', 'van doors' and whatever other imaginative place they come up with.
We all love having dad and mom close enough to drop by on a Saturday morning.
And I love having you stop by whenever you can on my humble little blog. Thanks for taking the time to read!

Comments

Jeane', you have such a way with writing, so much so, that I always feel that I am right there, experiencing every moment with you! :) It was so fun seeing you and your beautiful family at the dinner the other night, what a fun time and I loved getting to hold Ray, they are so precious! :) You are quite an inspiration getting up at 4:45, maybe some year I will get there! hahah! Have a wonderful day! Love you, Linds
Wanda said…
Jeane, I don't have 5 children under 3, but sadly to say, I've had those moments - those "let's not repeat this again" and "I'm so glad the Super Nanny isn't taping this one" moments!

When our eldest was born, I remember the "darling" infant just couldn't get enough to eat...I felt like such the milking cow...and, he was just a bit cranky about life there for a while. One particular night I went into his room, changed his diaper after just feeding him, I rocked him, I did it all, just to have him scream some more. The nerve of him! I reverted to my teenage years and yelled, "Will you just shut up!" (not so godly of me) That's when my dear Jerad came over from his slumber and said, "Why don't I take a turn?!" Ha ha ha!

It's nice when hubby's make their presence known at just the right time! God is gracious!

I enjoy reading your blog and getting a taste of your world! I know you've heard this SO many times, but I'm going through this right now - where did the time go? I can't believe both of my children are in school now? The time just flew by! When you're going through the infant & toddler stages it seems like an eternity! But, looking back - oh my! I miss my stay-at-home mom days!

Much Love,
Wanda
Marilou said…
Jeane, Jeane, Jeane....I can't decide whether I should laugh, cry, send help or start supplying you with strong alchohol!! Hmmm..what to do, what to do! :) Funny thing is...I can completely feel your moods, and your responses to them! :) Thank you for sharing your life with us, my prayer for you is that you will be able to cling to that small rope of sanity for all your worth! love you!
I AM WITH YOU! it's so wonderful to read your words and relate. and i must add i just LOVE your kitchen....all the touches! the green canisters, the great beater, the 4 slot toaster! i cannot wait to lay my eyes on your home, on every little corner....touched and untouched! and i am inspired to rise early....my days are ALWAYS better when i do!
ajwatson722 said…
I like the new look of your blog! Your words are so well put. If you are ever in doubt, know you are the most wonderful mom ever to those sweet kiddos! (my favorite part of this post- Annie with the chocolate coming out the side of her mouth...I can just hear her saying in her high pitched voice "I don't know where it went mommy." haha)
Missy said…
I love the new front door!!!
Someday I hope to come through it : )
Thanks for another encouraging note!
I think every mom with little kids should check into your blog...you remind me of Lisa Welchel!
Merry Christmas.

missy jeanes (shellenberger)
size5jeanes is our blog page.

Popular Posts