Rick

Today was an unusual day.

It reminded me of times past...and while it was not a lifetime ago, it seems like quite a looonnnggg time since I picked up this boy from school and went on to do something fun, just the two of us. Sometimes Barnes and Noble. Other times, Rita's Ice. He had many little neighborhood friends, and I had so much fun organizing little parties, halloween or 'just because'. (Party organization is a genetic trait of mine). He was a 'bonus' gift in meeting and eventually, marrying his father. He still is!

This 'boy' was 6 years old when I entered his world and he entered mine....



Now, this little boy is not so little...15 years old (and taller than me!)




This was taken today after school, in front of the new local IMAX Theater, in which I purchased 2 tickets to see "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs". My mom and sister VERY generously offered to watch my 3 (busy) Musketeers for the day and I was able to get alot done...from the sofa! As I was working on bills and moving details, the thought occured to me that today held a unique opportunity to spend time with this special young man whom I love, and whom I have had little, if any, time to spend with just him, just like the 'old days'. I am fully aware that hanging out with his VERY pregnant, loafing stepmom might not be on his list of "Top 10 Fun Things To Do After School"....but it was a risk I was willing to take! Thankfully for him, the theater was nearly empty (we had our choice of ANY and EVERY seat in the theater!), so no one to try and duck from!
(Hey, I remember. I was 15 once. I think.)

This role of 'stepmom' is one that I am grateful for, and I am able to be so because I fell into this role with an exceptional young boy who has grown into an exceptional young man. I have never tried to be his mother, as I respect that he does not need 2 of them....and yet, he is one of my children. I love him, am proud of him and am thankful for the ways he has added to my life, and my perspectives. He also keeps current my knowledge of Chuck Norris jokes, sports trivia, current lingo and the art of texting while simultaneously maintaining eye contact and verbal conversation. (I have not mastered any of them, particularly the latter-and nor would I desire to).

As an aside: Due to my rabbit-like breeding tendancies and all the talk of birthing that goes on in this home, this young man aced his "female reproductive" quiz in his health class last year (he knew what a cervix was) AND is probably the only 15 year old within the borders of our great nation who knew enough to advise me to 'start drinking raspberry tea' (a supposed labor-inducing beverage) early this week, in order to win a bet that I'd deliver the twins before October. He's going to make a FABULOUS husband and dad....just like his father.

The movie? It was great! Reduced any appetite for food I had to nil, but was full of fun humor, superb animation and plenty of heart-warming life lessons....

A warm bath is calling...and I shall hearken it's call! Goodnight!

Comments

Your post and mine go well together. I am so happy you and Rick had time together. You are right, he is truly an exceptional young man. I enjoy any time I get to spend with him. Another one of your fun and well worded posts. You both look great on the pictures!

We loved having your three little ones, as we always do! Mom
Wanda said…
Love it! Love it! Love it! You crack me up! After all these years, you still have the ability to make me sit at my computer screen and giggle! THANKS for the laughs! I love the rabbit-breeding tendancies! How do you think up these?!!

Popular Posts